Was today’s game the “Bannan Game”?

37 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

He’s been carrying us for 3 years..must have a bad back...he will make it his personal mission to get us back up next year if we did go down

But if you’re really a realist, you know that there is virtually no chance of him staying if, as is still highly likely, we go down. Looks like he’s been a good bloke and signed a contract, knowing that the club will get more money for him when he leaves. Performances like that will have top half clubs swarming around during the summer. Even at 31, he’s surely going to command a fairly hefty fee. 

Guest Therealrealist
Just now, Devonstrix said:

But if you’re really a realist, you know that there is virtually no chance of him staying if, as is still highly likely, we go down. Looks like he’s been a good bloke and signed a contract, knowing that the club will get more money for him when he leaves. Performances like that will have top half clubs swarming around during the summer. Even at 31, he’s surely going to command a fairly hefty fee. 

If I’m really a realist? My name would suggest I am garymegson..I 100% guarantee bannan will be here next season...there is no made up release clause..and please quote me on this

25 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Just great to see him in the opposition third causing all sorts of problems for the opposition.

He's got so much attacking ability and quality.

Agree 100% when you see a performance like that you can really appreciate the skill and ability of a top class player. It was a pleasure to watch.

• Like 1

He was absolutely brilliant in the first half against (a better) Watford as well.

The difference today was that not only that he did it for 90 minutes, but also he did it in a winning team. 

Great to watch. 

8 hours ago, Geedee said:

The thing with Barry is that he has the 3 things 

He has talent

He works hard

He has a great attitude to his job

It's a great combination that's hard to beat no matter what you do in life

Correct, yet people think we should get rid and its all his fault... Blows my mind. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

I confess to being a Bannan critic. More to do with us being so one dimensional in games and always going through him, rather than a criticism of his ability. His set pieces are often wasteful and he plays too many long balls.

But today, he was utterly utterly immense. I honestly think it’s the best performance from an individual Wednesday player in 20+ years. Looked a £50m+ player! :Chansiri:

Maybe we’ve finally found the shape that maximises his potential?

I agree, however, what were Cardiff doing ? if you give Bannan room and don't hassle him, he is incredible and he was

what I liked is the team moved forward in triangles to give him options, instead of backward ever decreasing triangles to the keeper.

Then the real difference is the created chances were actually converted - I loved Paterson's expression to say  'pfft standard!'

TBH i'd preferred a 1-0 over the next 5 matches than use that level of finishing un one match

But we beat the form team Barnsley we did well against watford and now demolished a team desperate for playoffs 

I pray that buzz of confidence and determination stays with them now and we pressurise the teams above who all will have watched that and thought sh*t

• Like 1

Nice to read such a positive thread.

Bazza is an immense talent, always hungry for the ball, always thinking, always creating, always there.

His performance against Cardiff reminded me of Beckham's masterclass for England against Greece.

He could just be that bit of inspiration we need to keep us up, it does happen, there's always a club that pulls of the unexpected, let's not stop hoping just yet.

On 06/04/2021 at 07:23, JOCOWl said:

Correct, yet people think we should get rid and its all his fault... Blows my mind. 

When he is playing behind midfield he isn’t as effective IMO... However I really do think that we’ve F00ked a lot tactically since CC took control with failing to capitalise on the players we’ve got... For instance Joao was brilliant with through balls and a fast attacking team, but we then played defensive bore tactics. To destroy him, J Rhodes is a player who needs a big man with him upfront and crosses to be effective, but we play him as a lone striker and get nothing from him, FF was also a player who thrived on a fast attack and we forced him to stay (rather than sell for big bucks) as a part of our borefest negative football that didn’t fit with his style of football... Then Adam Reach who is amazing going forward being played in defensive roles is an absolute joke, as like BB he is good going forward, but completely ineffective defensively as neither can tackle to save their lives...

3 minutes ago, Willie Henderson said:

Nice to read such a positive thread.

Bazza is an immense talent, always hungry for the ball, always thinking, always creating, always there.

His performance against Cardiff reminded me of Beckham's masterclass for England against Greece.

He could just be that bit of inspiration we need to keep us up, it does happen, there's always a club that pulls of the unexpected, let's not stop hoping just yet.

In an attacking role we didn’t need to defend as they couldn't get out of their own half, which is surely the best form of defence for us at the moment... He sat him back in the 2nd half and we were under pressure, but the game was won by then...

• Like 1