Wildsmith

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, 83owl said:

We got hammered 4-1 at millwall in February 

Yeah fair point! But not a frequent occurrence 

7 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I can’t remember the last time that Westwood conceded more than 2 goals in a game for us, even in his later years. Which means you’re regularly in the game.. just a shame he’s rarely fit now.

On the other hand Dawson and Wildsmith regularly ship 3, 4 or 5 goals which leads to almost certain defeats. While we can’t pin every loss or every goal conceded on them it has to be more than a coincidence. Really think Wildsmith could have done better with the first 3 goals.. a Henderson, Lloris, Ederson, Pope etc doesn’t concede those which means it’s something a keeper could do something about.

Dawson has conceded 3 on 1 occasion this season, Westwood has conceded 4 on 1 occasion

the stats seem not to back up your memory

• Like 1

Replying to the OP...Its not because of the QPR match but I've never rated Wildsmith or even Dawson for that matter, and Westwood was a great goalkeeper a few seasons ago but has become so injury prone and is also making errors now.

This is an area we need to build from next season by getting in a good decent keeper if we can.

• Like 4

On 10/04/2021 at 18:49, TrickyTrev said:

Both Wildsmith and Dawson are crap.

When Westwood leaves this summer we need 2 new keepers.

Does Lee Camp still not have a club? Could be a useful signing in League 1, like when we sign Darren Byfield.

Lee Camp is at Swindon now. But based on his time at Sunderland he was making the same errors as our current keepers.

Portsmouth have a decent keeper for that league who is probably capable of playing in the championship. Out of contract too.

I don’t think Wildsmith is more than a development player at this level.

But...

That shot did get a nick off Osaze’s nut and would have caused problems for better goalies. That said he was slow in reacting.

But...

Our flat footed defence did allow the guy to get an easy shot in from 30 yards. Maybe Bannan should have kicked off about that first because it was pub league standard and any keeper will be dodgy unless there’s a solid line in front of him that he can trust.

Just saying.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Grimesthorpian said:

Maybe Bannan should have kicked off about that first because it was pub league standard and any keeper will be dodgy unless there’s a solid line in front of him that he can trust.

I would say it's the opposite.  The defence need a strong goalie behind them, a goalie they can trust to back them up. It's obvious the senior defenders don't have any faith in JW.

It's not that we are getting battered and he's having to face lots of shots. The fact is a large % of the opponents shots on target end up in the back of the net.

QPR A 6 shots on target, 4 goals.

Brentford away 4 shots on target, 3 goals.

Luton away 3 shots on target, 3 goals

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

Replying to the OP...Its not because of the QPR match but I've never rated Wildsmith or even Dawson for that matter, and Westwood was a great goalkeeper a few seasons ago but has become so injury prone and is also making errors now.

This is an area we need to build from next season by getting in a good decent keeper if we can.

I agree completely. Dawson and Wildsmith showed promise but don't inspire confidence at all, and they're not "promising youngsters" any more.   Westwood is not value for money any more. We desperately need a reliable GK, they all make mistakes, but not as many as our current ones.

• Like 1

Said this many times before but Dawson and Wildsmith are no longer prospects and they are not good enough to be number one in League One for us next year. This is not all down to them however the club and management have ruined two promising young keepers who did have the potential to become good keepers at a higher level by having no direction, plan and leadership.

Moving forward next year we have Westwood (who cannot be relied on for 50 games a year but would be good enough should he play) who will leave. Wildsmith entering his last year so hopefully he will leave. And Dawson who has a long contract so will probably stay. We need a new Keeper. 

In an ideal world we would sign a number one retain westwood as number 2 and have Render coming through.... moving on Wildsmith and Dawson. But its no chance of happening.

Guest LondonOwl313
5 hours ago, Ian said:

Dawson has conceded 3 on 1 occasion this season, Westwood has conceded 4 on 1 occasion

the stats seem not to back up your memory

Since start of 2019/20, and we're giving the advantage to you anti Westwood guys here because apparently he's been crap and not worthy of a place over that time:

Games played:

Westwood 28

Dawson 32

Wildsmith 28

Games where we conceded 3+ goals:

Westwood 1

Dawson 7

Wildsmith 7

So they've all played a similar number of games yet Dawson and Wildsmith have conceded 3+ goals 7 times more often. Seems my memory wasn't far off, although I did forget Westwood played at Millwall.

5 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Since start of 2019/20, and we're giving the advantage to you anti Westwood guys here because apparently he's been crap and not worthy of a place over that time:

Games played:

Westwood 28

Dawson 32

Wildsmith 28

Games where we conceded 3+ goals:

Westwood 1

Dawson 7

Wildsmith 7

So they've all played a similar number of games yet Dawson and Wildsmith have conceded 3+ goals 7 times more often. Seems my memory wasn't far off, although I did forget Westwood played at Millwall.

Well done for finding the right timescale and stat to back up your thoughts. 

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, Ian said:

Well done for finding the right timescale and stat to back up your thoughts. 

Eh? What I said was intuition, I’d not looked at the stats before and then the stats backed it up. Want me to go further back and include 2014-19? I already know that’s going to skew even more favourably towards Westwood 

You just picked this season because Dawson only played 8 games and it only happened once. Convenient to ignore the 6 times in 24 in which he conceded 3 or more last season. Then you omitted Wildsmith completely because he did it more both this season and last season.

The anti Westwood rhetoric on here is bizarre. I can understand criticism of his fitness but it’s like the people who criticise his actual performances don’t watch the same game.

8 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I would say it's the opposite.  The defence need a strong goalie behind them, a goalie they can trust to back them up. It's obvious the senior defenders don't have any faith in JW.

It's not that we are getting battered and he's having to face lots of shots. The fact is a large % of the opponents shots on target end up in the back of the net.

QPR A 6 shots on target, 4 goals.

Brentford away 4 shots on target, 3 goals.

Luton away 3 shots on target, 3 goals

Works both ways tbh. Simple algorithm is dodgy goalie + dodgy defence = goals like that.

• Like 1