• Paterson
    • Hutchinson
    • Rhodes
    • Windass
    • Bannan
    • Pelupessy
    • Green
    • Kachunga

Yesterday was the best TEAM performance I have seen in the last 6 years.

Under CC we were just a group of talented individuals, but yesterday we looked like a a TEAM, well organised, drilled and in control of the game for 85% of the game.

Now we have to replicate that organisation over the rest of the season, some thing we have not done in the past, but we, maybe, saw the future yesterday and it looked bright.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Yesterday was the best TEAM performance I have seen in the last 6 years.

Under CC we were just a group of talented individuals, but yesterday we looked like a a TEAM, well organised, drilled and in control of the game for 85% of the game.

Now we have to replicate that organisation over the rest of the season, some thing we have not done in the past, but we, maybe, saw the future yesterday and it looked bright.

I was thinking that but then i had to put myself in check. Yes in the 2015/16 season the individual players were much better throughout the squad but we put in some proper team performances that season.

So since 2016/17 I totally agree with you but under CC first year and Gray before that we were a proper team. 

Yesterday was brilliant though.

Great performance all round. My take: 

Wildsmith - 7.5 - Not a lot to do, did what he had to well, a clean sheet. 

Palmer - 7.5 - Great cross-volley. Loved the way he caressed it so it was curling and not too hot to handle, but not to easy to cut out. 

Reach - 8 - Two goals, one of them a wonderful free-kick. He managed to shrug of the memories of his recent bad performances. Today the effort was there, as was the technique that seemed to have forsaken him in the last 6 or 7 games.

Uroghide - 7 - Did nowt wrong. All three centre-halves handled the pace (I think that's what he's supposed to offer - apart from looking like a leprechaun) of Johnny Williams and the brawn (or falling over and moaning) of Keifer Moore superbly. 

Lees - 7.5 - Similar to big O, but seemed to be beserk in the effort he put in - one superb stretched header to nick the ball over the defender coming to finish it off in the first half. 

Borner - 7.5 - Good header for the goal he scored. All three centre halves were understated heroes today. Created a base for the rest of the team to do their thing - and how they did. 

Hutchinson - 7 - Like the defence, Hutch did a job that needed doing to allow others to shine.  Some heroics like all the boys in the last fifteen. 

Paterson - 7.5 Great finish for the goal. Put himself about and pressed brilliantly second half. Effort levels we have come to take for granted, only everything clicked today. 

Bannan - 10 If anyone ever doubted this mans commitment and drive, shame on you. Ive never seen a player bust so many guts in one match, just to make an extra option for an attacker - and often not recieve the pass. His distribution was near flawless and a corner (yes, a bannan corner) set up the first goal. Led by example. Captains performance. 

Windass - 8 Two assists, is this the same selfish brat we saw earlier refusing to pass and swearing at people who challenged him on it? A team is being built here and Windass appears to be buying into it as much as anyone. 

Rhodes - 7.5 The man as been a revelation under Moore. Even when he doesn't score, he looks bright and works tirelessly. Maybe he just wants a new contract, or maybe we are finally building a team around his goals scoring talent. Either way, for now, it might just be what keeps us up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wildsmith - 7 - Clean sheet, and commanded his box very well against a aerial onslaught from Cardiff.

Urhoghide - 8 - He looks the real deal. Looks confident, and defends the box very well. Played a hybrid role yesterday...right centre half out of possession, but moved into a holding midfield role when in possession, to allow Bannan the freedom to roam. Intelligent, and just highlights what a prospect he is.

Lees - 9 - Colossal. Unsung hero in that backline. He's been a great servant, and he's maintaining his standards right til the end. Model professional, who'll remain at this level for some years yet.

Borner - 7 - Took his goal well, but he's our weak point in the back line. Gets exposed in behind too often, and isn't comfortable with players running at him, which is a issue in a back three. Wilson had him on toast when he came on.

Palmer - 8 - Maybe the highest mark I've ever given him. Did well down the right hand side, provided the width. But, WTF was that ball all about?! Has he been possessed by Roberto Carlos?

Hutchinson - 8 - I was worried pre-match when he was playing in midfield. He's struggled big time in there since his return... but no issues today. Sat, protected, and provided that pivot in midfield alongside Urhoghide, and allowed the others to strut their stuff. 

Bannan - 10 - Man of the Match - The last 10/10 I gave was to Rhodes for his hat-trick at Forest...but, Bannan probably deserves an 11 today. He was simply majestic. I'm not sure there's an adjective to describe how fantastic he was. Looks in the mood, and his quality was the highest standard. That ball for Paterson in the counter for the 4th goal, I would never tire of watching.

Reach - 9 - We've all written him off...he's got his eyes elsewhere...he's protecting himself before moving on. Well, he's still our 2nd best player technically, and he was brilliant yesterday. Quality on the ball, a free kick we just haven't seen often enough, and a great example of wanting more for his counter attacking goal for the 5th. Another player, who'll continue to play at a higher level than ourselves for the next three or four seasons.

Paterson - 9 - Moore needs to find a position for Paterson next season...and it cannot be striker. He tried him at right wing back on Saturday, but I thought he excelled in the advanced midfield role today. Maybe Pulis wasn't stupid after all! He allows us to press high when playing that role, and his physicality causes issues in between the lines. Took his goal phenomenally well, and his desire and quality for the assist for Rhodes was also tremendous.

Windass - 9 - Another game where he plays up front with Rhodes, and we reap the rewards. Two more assists for Windass today, and his work ethic, with Paterson close by, really does allow Rhodes to do what he's good at...scoring goals. Windass ran the line very well, showed quality in picking out Palmer in the lead-up to Paterson's goal, and showed composure so often lacking, in teeing up Reach for the 5th.

Rhodes - 8 - Despite his fairly disappointing time here...how many times have we said this? Typical Rhodes performance. Worked hard, and did the simply things well...but in terms of build-up and general play...had nowhere near the effect of others around him...but, he's got another goal. Clinical finish. Another player who'll continue to play at a higher level than we will be next season.

Overall...

Probably the most enjoyable, positive, front-foot performance we've put in since we beat Brentford and Swansea at home under Bruce. For the first time in a long time, we made things happen, and didn't wait for the opposition to make mistakes. And we looked so much better for it. These players, generally, are players that enjoy playing positively...especially our two best players...Bannan and Reach. They don't want to be sat in low blocks, tracking runners for 90 minutes (of course, there'll be times when they need to), they want to be putting teams on the back foot, and that's exactly what we did today.

Yes, we were ruthless today. 5 goals from less than 2xG proves that...but we created three high value chances, and added to that with clinical finishing. In all likelihood, it's too little, too late. But for the love of God, please lets go out there and attack the rest of the season. We've got a run of games now against teams who'll be already dreaming about their summer staycation in Ingoldmells...so let's go and out and make their lives difficult. 

One last comment...fair play to Darren Moore...he's ditched the 4-2-3-1 we just haven't got the players for. He's continued to pair Rhodes with Windass and he's reaping the rewards...and he's aware that Paterson will have a huge role to play for us in League One...but not as a striker. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

14 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Wildsmith - 7 - Clean sheet, and commanded his box very well against a aerial onslaught from Cardiff.

Urhoghide - 8 - He looks the real deal. Looks confident, and defends the box very well. Played a hybrid role yesterday...right centre half out of possession, but moved into a holding midfield role when in possession, to allow Bannan the freedom to roam. Intelligent, and just highlights what a prospect he is.

Lees - 9 - Colossal. Unsung hero in that backline. He's been a great servant, and he's maintaining his standards right til the end. Model professional, who'll remain at this level for some years yet.

Borner - 7 - Took his goal well, but he's our weak point in the back line. Gets exposed in behind too often, and isn't comfortable with players running at him, which is a issue in a back three. Wilson had him on toast when he came on.

Palmer - 8 - Maybe the highest mark I've ever given him. Did well down the right hand side, provided the width. But, WTF was that ball all about?! Has he been possessed by Roberto Carlos?

Hutchinson - 8 - I was worried pre-match when he was playing in midfield. He's struggled big time in there since his return... but no issues today. Sat, protected, and provided that pivot in midfield alongside Urhoghide, and allowed the others to strut their stuff. 

Bannan - 10 - Man of the Match - The last 10/10 I gave was to Rhodes for his hat-trick at Forest...but, Bannan probably deserves an 11 today. He was simply majestic. I'm not sure there's an adjective to describe how fantastic he was. Looks in the mood, and his quality was the highest standard. That ball for Paterson in the counter for the 4th goal, I would never tire of watching.

Reach - 9 - We've all written him off...he's got his eyes elsewhere...he's protecting himself before moving on. Well, he's still our 2nd best player technically, and he was brilliant yesterday. Quality on the ball, a free kick we just haven't seen often enough, and a great example of wanting more for his counter attacking goal for the 5th. Another player, who'll continue to play at a higher level than ourselves for the next three or four seasons.

Paterson - 9 - Moore needs to find a position for Paterson next season...and it cannot be striker. He tried him at right wing back on Saturday, but I thought he excelled in the advanced midfield role today. Maybe Pulis wasn't stupid after all! He allows us to press high when playing that role, and his physicality causes issues in between the lines. Took his goal phenomenally well, and his desire and quality for the assist for Rhodes was also tremendous.

Windass - 9 - Another game where he plays up front with Rhodes, and we reap the rewards. Two more assists for Windass today, and his work ethic, with Paterson close by, really does allow Rhodes to do what he's good at...scoring goals. Windass ran the line very well, showed quality in picking out Palmer in the lead-up to Paterson's goal, and showed composure so often lacking, in teeing up Reach for the 5th.

Rhodes - 8 - Despite his fairly disappointing time here...how many times have we said this? Typical Rhodes performance. Worked hard, and did the simply things well...but in terms of build-up and general play...had nowhere near the effect of others around him...but, he's got another goal. Clinical finish. Another player who'll continue to play at a higher level than we will be next season.

Overall...

Probably the most enjoyable, positive, front-foot performance we've put in since we beat Brentford and Swansea at home under Bruce. For the first time in a long time, we made things happen, and didn't wait for the opposition to make mistakes. And we looked so much better for it. These players, generally, are players that enjoy playing positively...especially our two best players...Bannan and Reach. They don't want to be sat in low blocks, tracking runners for 90 minutes (of course, there'll be times when they need to), they want to be putting teams on the back foot, and that's exactly what we did today.

Yes, we were ruthless today. 5 goals from less than 2xG proves that...but we created three high value chances, and added to that with clinical finishing. In all likelihood, it's too little, too late. But for the love of God, please lets go out there and attack the rest of the season. We've got a run of games now against teams who'll be already dreaming about their summer staycation in Ingoldmells...so let's go and out and make their lives difficult. 

One last comment...fair play to Darren Moore...he's ditched the 4-2-3-1 we just haven't got the players for. He's continued to pair Rhodes with Windass and he's reaping the rewards...and he's aware that Paterson will have a huge role to play for us in League One...but not as a striker. 

A great post game assessment....

• Like 1

I’ve treated myself to the highlights a few times this am. 
We really were brilliant against a very good side. We were ruthless and clinical and just terrific to watch. Rhodes actually kept the ball out of the net and also nicked a header that was on its way to Moore’s head as well which was fantastic to see. Normally in a heavy scoring game one or two of the goals are a bit lucky but not this time. 5 fantastic goals. Paterson’s goal was like a Roberto Carlos cross to Ronaldo type goal for a Brazil. Almost comically good. Just need to do this 5 times more this season and all will be fine ☀️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barumowl said:

I saw MM a dozen or so times in the late 70s when my memory is of an 'old fashioned no nonsense' centre half for Barnsley. I liked his approach then and I like his approach to management since. 

A working class lad who has not forgotten his roots.

Remind you of some one?.

4 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Bannan is way to good for league one. No way will he stay when we go down imo. 

Must be worth at least 4m after yesterday. 

Or 40m in Chansiri prices.

lol

Unless he has a really cheap release clause if we go down. Then I don't think he will be going anywhere.

20 hours ago, toppOwl said:

It was probably the most enjoyable game I've watched for a number of seasons but I'm annoyed today that this side have now proved they can do it, we need to know why they consistently haven't.

Because we haven’t consistently picked this team.

Go back and look at some of the line-ups we’ve picked, many many times. 

If Moore picked Harris ON THE LEFT at QPR, what would you think?

If he picked Reach ON THE RIGHT?
If he played Paterson or Windass as lone-striker?

If he played JVA at CB?

If he played Kachunga as striker.......

You’d be pulling your hair out and questioning his sanity.

Go and look at our line-ups for our worst performances of the season, then compare it to the Xl Moore picked for Cardiff.

• Like 1