41 years ago today

Guest Garryswfcowl72

For two years TC was unbelievable - just loved watching him play; a total genius and maverick. He didn't have a position - just roamed around, a bit like Waddle; switching wings, coming from deep. FF reminded me of TC - they all share that flare, inspiration - in some ways why we all go to watch the games; players that make you get off your seat. It's been coached out these days - too many players would have passed the ball back to the defence now on that run, frightened about losing the ball.

The flag on St Marys was the 'Park & Arbourthorne Owls'.

The pigs tried the two-game ticket 'offer' for their fans the next time the teams met in 91 - i remember the other game was against Luton and again the Wednesday fans hung a big banner off the top tier of the Bramall Lane end saying 'For Sale- 5000 Luton tickets' The main Wednesday fans were in the South Stand near the kop.

17 minutes ago, Animis said:

For two years TC was unbelievable - just loved watching him play; a total genius and maverick. He didn't have a position - just roamed around, a bit like Waddle; switching wings, coming from deep. FF reminded me of TC - they all share that flare, inspiration - in some ways why we all go to watch the games; players that make you get off your seat. It's been coached out these days - too many players would have passed the ball back to the defence now on that run, frightened about losing the ball.

The pigs tried the two-game ticket 'offer' for their fans the next time the teams met in 91 - i remember the other game was against Luton and again the Wednesday fans hung a big banner off the top tier of the Bramall Lane end saying 'For Sale- 5000 Luton tickets' The main Wednesday fans were in the South Stand near the kop.

Spot on mate

Just how I remembered Curran

And  your right individuality is coached out of players these days.Clip board manages with all their coaching badges putting waaaay too much emphasis on tactics. Stifling creativity 

in my opinion players are far more professional today and I’m not knocking that but the games in general are nothing like the games enjoyed years ago. Yes you get the odd cracker of a game but by and large it’s boring

How many cup finals have we seen with the so called big 6 that have bored us to death over the years

Gone a bit off topic there! But yeah Curran like the title of his book was a complete maverick 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I was on there too, but definitely not thousands. We were in small batches down the sides. Absolute nightmare after the game.

They had made 3,000 extra tickets available to Wednesday a few days before the game (I'd come up from Jersey and was struggling for a ticket) and got one of those. We were on the Shoreham next to what was then their new stand (where the cricket pitch used to be). It was all Wednesday in that area. Honestly!

No idea why you had a nightmare after, we had no bother at all. I even had my mum with me!

Edited by Utah Owl

1 hour ago, Animis said:

It was the 92/93 season when there were a

few Wednesday in their South stand next to the Kop. I was one of them 🙂

1 hour ago, PortlandOwl said:

I seem to recall Bobby Knutt appearing on the pitch in a half Wednesday, half United shirt. 

He did, pre-match. One minute he was cheered by everyone then he turned round and got booed by everyone!

1 hour ago, Basement Jack said:

Spot on mate

Just how I remembered Curran

And  your right individuality is coached out of players these days.Clip board manages with all their coaching badges putting waaaay too much emphasis on tactics. Stifling creativity 

in my opinion players are far more professional today and I’m not knocking that but the games in general are nothing like the games enjoyed years ago. Yes you get the odd cracker of a game but by and large it’s boring

How many cup finals have we seen with the so called big 6 that have bored us to death over the years

Gone a bit off topic there! But yeah Curran like the title of his book was a complete maverick 

Well said modern football is slow and boring to many Barcelona clones

7 hours ago, Animis said:

Curran was unplayable once big Jack moved him up front. He'd been good on the wing but up front he was something else, far too good for the third division. 

I got a ticket for the 91 game, but watching it in the South Stand amongst the great unwashed was not pleasant, I even had to stand up when they scored to avoid being 'outed'. Funnily enough, I didn't go to the Luton game.....somehow I suspect there were a lot of unused tickets for that one!!! The grunters weren't happy with the 'For Sale' banner.