Carlos the innovator.

On 02/04/2021 at 13:19, Lincs Owl said:

I disagree.

Charlton was here for 6 years and couldn't get us into the top division. 

As for Huddersfield, we played them 4 times that season. Won 2 drew 2.   

CC showed with Rio Ave, he can achieve success without money. 

Sacking him was one of the worst things we've done since we sacked Francis. 

Sacking him at that point in time was wrong. It was a knee jerk reaction from a chairman without a clue

• Like 1

Agreed, and I believe he would have turned things around. Carlos proved in that second season, that he was capable of innovating, despite what was foisted upon him. People say that he should have achieved more with the resources at his disposal, as if all that money spent on dross gave him some sort of advantage. In fact, as we continue to see, no matter how many players you sign, if they are the wrong players, they become more of a hindrance than a benefit. So Carlos may have had more players at his disposal, but all that meant was, that he was hindered more than most. 
You can see what Carlos thought of most of the signings, he reached Wembley, largely with the players he inherited. Despite over 30 players being signed, Carlos continued to build the side around the players left by his predecessor, and few of the signings made by his original recruitment team. 

Our best manager since big Ron hit the ground running but ultimately fell short 

no manger before or after have gone close to getting near the premier league and the football has been dire 

as a football goes best I’ve seen since the 90s 

yet today’s fan will always be critical

managers inherited his squad and were backed and they failed much worse

put it this way, with everything that I’ve seen pre and post Carlos id have him back 

• Like 2

On 03/04/2021 at 13:04, RichSheffWeds said:

This is seriously delusional. 

Charlton took over with us in the Third Division,  turned us around, took us into Division two and got close to taking us into the top league. 

He took us to an FA Cup semi final when it was a higher competitive, prized trophy. 

He laid the foundations for Howard Wilkinson. 

He could only dream of the type of financial support provided to Carlos who left us in total turmoil. 

Let’s stop re-writing history - Carlos achieved nothing. 

He achieved a hell of a lot more than the ******* who followed him.

2 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

He had the financial support. 

Others didn’t. 

He still achieved nothing and left us in free fall. 

It’s only support, if it’s used to benefit the squad. Think it’s pretty obvious that’s not been the case. 

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s only support, if it’s used to benefit the squad. Think it’s pretty obvious that’s not been the case. 

And Carlos says he had full control. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-carlos-carvalhal-manager-20074064.amp

So he had a heavy involvement in recruitment which has been our downfall with so many players bought on big contracts with no sell on value. 

1 minute ago, RichSheffWeds said:

And Carlos says he had full control. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-carlos-carvalhal-manager-20074064.amp

So he had a heavy involvement in recruitment which has been our downfall with so many players bought on big contracts with no sell on value. 

Don’t believe any of that, he was just towing the party line. Think we can see how he felt about most of those signings, by how many times he played them. The team was usually 5 or 6 of the side he inherited, plus 5 or 6 that Roeder brought in. After Roeder and his team left, the new recruitment team were a disaster. 16 signings post Wembley, and not one of them improved the side

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Agreed, and I believe he would have turned things around. Carlos proved in that second season, that he was capable of innovating, despite what was foisted upon him. People say that he should have achieved more with the resources at his disposal, as if all that money spent on dross gave him some sort of advantage. In fact, as we continue to see, no matter how many players you sign, if they are the wrong players, they become more of a hindrance than a benefit. So Carlos may have had more players at his disposal, but all that meant was, that he was hindered more than most. 
You can see what Carlos thought of most of the signings, he reached Wembley, largely with the players he inherited. Despite over 30 players being signed, Carlos continued to build the side around the players left by his predecessor, and few of the signings made by his original recruitment team. 

Indeed. Both a shame and injustice that Gray was sacked. Had he stayed and we'd recruited properly I reckon there's a good chance he'd have taken us up. The first ift a catalogue of terrible decisions.

Back on topic I've also come round to the conclusion that we'd have been better sticking with Carlos subsequently too.

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You're laughing but it's totally true

How is it?

You said yourself managers can't be to blame so how did he leave us in freefall? 

I don't remember him being in charge of how much we spent, certainly don't recall him being delighted at transfers like Emanuelson.