Iceland

On 01/04/2021 at 10:37, BetterCallSaul said:

Booked to go for 5 days in December, blue lagoon, whale watching and a northern lights cruise. Anyone been before? Any tips for Iceland? 

Take a thick coat and some gloves.

There are 0 hours of sunshine and frequent very strong winds and snow storms, so a kite and a shovel could come in handy.

I did some whale watching in Barbados (humpbacks) that was good ........ and warm.

Seriously, sounds good, but cold.

december is a VERY lean time to go... weather will be quite severe by then

We went in Feb? and it was generally okay (very cold - we wore our ski gear) the lack of daylight hours does mean you have to cram in your sightseeing quite tightly. 

We hired a car and that was a must really - Rekjavik is tiny and there's not much to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamsandwich said:

its expensive to eat and drink - but only a bit more than "London" prices.

yeah I heard it was expensive but for 5 days that’s ok, I don’t mind too much. Be a different story if it was a couple of weeks haha! Yeah a little worried about the weather myself, but it’s when the missus wanted to go so it’s what we’re doing. We will be hiring a car as we are landing in Keflavik and driving over to Reykjavik which I think is like 45 mins but I guess will be a lot longer if we are in a snow storm  

The roads are all heated by volcanic super springs so there's usually no snow on the roads so driving is great. 

Plenty of places to get out an drive to in the day too - all the waterfalls and volcanos and stuff. 

Note: Their water stinks of bad eggs - it takes a little getting used to on the nose! and makes showering a revolting experience.

• Like 1

We went in Feb and it was bloody freezing! 

Definitely need to hire a car. The weather changes so quickly, we were hit with a few blizzard storms where we literally had 1m (if that ,visibility) was quite scary

Gulfoss waterfalls were beautiful

I'd say the prices are way more expensive than London in the nicer restaurants. Especially for alcohol. Ended up eating in bang average places to offset...not great food to be honest. Found some decent bars though

• Like 1

On 21/04/2021 at 14:38, Kate said:

We went in Feb and it was bloody freezing! 

Definitely need to hire a car. The weather changes so quickly, we were hit with a few blizzard storms where we literally had 1m (if that ,visibility) was quite scary

Gulfoss waterfalls were beautiful

I'd say the prices are way more expensive than London in the nicer restaurants. Especially for alcohol. Ended up eating in bang average places to offset...not great food to be honest. Found some decent bars though

I think that’s one of the worrying things is just how cold it will be and also the change in weather, can’t imagine driving in a blizzard being much fun but it’s all life experience I guess. Prices aren’t too much off a worry, think it just is what it is really, if you don’t have a choice there’s no point fussing about it. I’ll make do on crisps if I have to haha

Nice restaurant at the blue lagoon and the blue lagoon itself is class. 

But it is mentally cold, like 5/6 layers and in December they'll be like 2-3 hours of sunlight a day. 

Also I'd say its like double London prices from what I recall in 2018. Very pricey 

On 29/04/2021 at 12:19, BetterCallSaul said:

I think that’s one of the worrying things is just how cold it will be and also the change in weather, can’t imagine driving in a blizzard being much fun but it’s all life experience I guess. Prices aren’t too much off a worry, think it just is what it is really, if you don’t have a choice there’s no point fussing about it. I’ll make do on crisps if I have to haha

Crisps are £12 a packet

• Haha 1

On 03/05/2021 at 10:25, fudge27 said:

Nice restaurant at the blue lagoon and the blue lagoon itself is class. 

But it is mentally cold, like 5/6 layers and in December they'll be like 2-3 hours of sunlight a day. 

Also I'd say its like double London prices from what I recall in 2018. Very pricey 

Looking forward to it lol

Been for work a couple of times. Amazing landscape.

Are you staying on Reykjavik? 

As others have said, it’s really expensive. But you can have a nice meal out and some drinks without breaking the bank if you follow the bars/restaurants that have happy hours. Download an app called “appy hour” to help.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2021 at 10:37, bigdan2003 said:

Been for work a couple of times. Amazing landscape.

Are you staying on Reykjavik? 

As others have said, it’s really expensive. But you can have a nice meal out and some drinks without breaking the bank if you follow the bars/restaurants that have happy hours. Download an app called “appy hour” to help.

Yes mate staying in Reykjavik, that’s a great tip thank you, I’ll download that app!

On 04/05/2021 at 21:27, jamsandwich said:

Crisps are £12 a packet

@BetterCallSaul don’t buy crisps!

Youll absolutely love it mate. We didn’t venture far, but stayed near Reykjavik. We did the obvious - The Blue lagoon, Geysur, waterfalls, Reykjavik, and loved every moment.

Its hard to find and buy booze. There was one shop in our town, with very limited hours, and as for the price!!!! We sold one of our kids and bought a bottle of Chianti.

Edited by Holmowl