Ciaran Brennan

10 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

Seems like the poor lad won't be able to escape through that emergency exit in the photo then! 

lol

I genuinely wouldn’t be releasing any of them if we go down. Can’t really afford to. At worst they’ll have little to no impact but at least we have bodies available for the Mickey Mouse cup. At best we’ve got one, two or three players who are handy or better at league one level. 

We’ll have enough rebuilding to do in the summer for the first 11 without worrying about background players too. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

I genuinely wouldn’t be releasing any of them if we go down. Can’t really afford to. At worst they’ll have little to no impact but at least we have bodies available for the Mickey Mouse cup. At best we’ve got one, two or three players who are handy or better at league one level. 

We’ll have enough rebuilding to do in the summer for the first 11 without worrying about background players too. 

100%, because knowing us we would try and sign players in that position on decent wages who probably isn’t that much better 

10 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Begs the question why we negotiated options for those 3, but not Shaw & Urhoghide..? Dumbass club.

Maybe we did try and they said no? 

4 hours ago, mrbluesky said:

I want Chansiri out, but he can't be blamed for players not wanting to sign or acting quickly enough.

If you leave everything until the last minute, are you surprise when players don't feel valued or wanted and go elsewhere.

Well run club don't allow their best young players to be out of contract at the end of season like we do. Can you see Birmingham not getting £25m for Bellingham because he was not in contract. But we allow our players to effective leave on frees but the short sighted chairman will be thinking £300k is a good deal for Shaw.

Every season under DC we have had 5-10 players out of contract and the last few years most have realised it's better elsewhere.

• Like 1

Guest mrbluesky
8 hours ago, room0035 said:

If you leave everything until the last minute, are you surprise when players don't feel valued or wanted and go elsewhere.

Well run club don't allow their best young players to be out of contract at the end of season like we do. Can you see Birmingham not getting £25m for Bellingham because he was not in contract. But we allow our players to effective leave on frees but the short sighted chairman will be thinking £300k is a good deal for Shaw.

Every season under DC we have had 5-10 players out of contract and the last few years most have realised it's better elsewhere.

In part, I agree, this problem has been at SWFC long before Chansiri came though.

So what do we think should be the approach with these players?  Triggering one year extensions and see how they go in League One prior to Christmas before deciding on offer of new contract?  Probably keeps costs down but runs risk of losing players for nothing if they catch the eye in first half of season.  Is it better to offer new 2 year contracts (with one year option) now if we have faith in these players?

Would hate to see a repeat of Shaw and (probably) Urgoghide situations, but I can understand how these decisions can be a difficult balancing act at times.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Begs the question why we negotiated options for those 3, but not Shaw & Urhoghide..? Dumbass club.

We did offer a contract, but Celtic offered more.

He is waiting till the end of the season before comiting himself 

Guest wilyfox
48 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

We did offer a contract, but Celtic offered more.

He is waiting till the end of the season before comiting himself 

I’m not talking about the new contract offer. I was referring to a 1yr extension clause. Had we negotiated one for Shaw at his last renewal, Celtic could not poach him this summer. Should be standard for young players.

If @YesWeCrannis right about this being Urhoghide’s year option, we should have tied him down sooner. The year option is a security blanket, but once triggered the club should look to renew their contract or sell - not let it run down.

8 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I’m not talking about the new contract offer. I was referring to a 1yr extension clause. Had we negotiated one for Shaw at his last renewal, Celtic could not poach him this summer. Should be standard for young players.

If @YesWeCrannis right about this being Urhoghide’s year option, we should have tied him down sooner. The year option is a security blanket, but once triggered the club should look to renew their contract or sell - not let it run down.

True,

We are only offering 1 year contracts to youngsters as we don't want to take any kind of gamble on their wages. And if they turn out good and get better offers elsewhere than we are painting them as sell outs who don't care about the club.

This needs to change, and i would be happy to see us offer decent 3 years deal to Liam Waldock for a start.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, malek said:

True,

We are only offering 1 year contracts to youngsters as we don't want to take any kind of gamble on their wages. And if they turn out good and get better offers elsewhere than we are painting them as sell outs who don't care about the club.

This needs to change, and i would be happy to see us offer decent 3 years deal to Liam Waldock for a start.

Urhoghide had already shown competence last year. To trigger his extension and then dwell on it was foolish. The likes of Hunt & Waldock are yet to prove themselves. 

On 01/04/2021 at 05:03, mrbluesky said:

I want Chansiri out, but he can't be blamed for players not wanting to sign or acting quickly enough.

He can’t be blamed for players nit wanting to sign? 

why would you want to stay in a club that is being run like a pub team, you don’t know who’s going to be manager, whether you’ll get paid in time, playing in league 1, etc