The best shots in Movie History

1 hour ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

A sadly forgotten film but a brilliant scene.

Went to Dublin for a wedding about ten years ago and had to visit Toner's Bar, where the scene was filmed. Changed little!

What's the name of the film?

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

29 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

A Fistful of Dynamite otherwise known as Duck You Sucker.

Thanks

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

(1973)

(1990)

(1970)

(1978)

• Love 1

(1982) This one always gets me.

A forgot classic really based on a true story also featuring Sean Penn.

(1997)

I think War of the Worlds is a proper/great sci-fi/horror film, the first part of the film is really gripping/great and then you have scenes throughout it like the river and train one's. I tried finding the scene after the second video when Ray gets to his house and his daughter asks him what is all the stuff he is covered in and he kinda realises what it is, he then goes into the bathroom and looks into the mirror and fully realises now and stars rubbing/washing himself while the camera goes back into the room showing his daughter stood watching all the ash/dust coming from the bathroom. I just found a picture of it:

screenshot-100.png 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

(1982) This one always gets me.

A forgot classic really based on a true story also featuring Sean Penn.

(1997)

I think War of the Worlds is a proper/great sci-fi/horror film, the first part of the film is really gripping/great and then you have scenes throughout it like the river and train one's. I tried finding the scene after the second video when Ray gets to his house and his daughter asks him what is all the stuff he is covered in and he kinda realises what it is, he then goes into the bathroom and looks into the mirror and fully realises now and stars rubbing/washing himself while the camera goes back into the room showing his daughter stood watching all the ash/dust coming from the bathroom. I just found a picture of it:

screenshot-100.png 

*forgotten classic... 

I remember watching this classic as a kid. Lawrence of Arabia. 

this scene is awe inspiring. the music blows you away. 

And Omar Sheriff riding into the shot. 

• Like 2

Mebbe the best pound for pound best 17 seconds on film just because of the care and effort that went into it...before CGI changed the world forever.

giphy.gif.263991db3ab90ff768ec2c0fc1400972.gif

The model cars, the wire work.

Bloody hell  the wire work , the naturalistic angle he swoops up at. Theres a grace and a beauty to it.  You don't get that with CGI.

And the old painting on glass trick for the shot filmed between the two coppers heads ,and filming through it. Superb stuff.

Weeks and weeks of work for this short, but perfect few seconds. 

1978 FFS! And I've watched how they did it

...but even though I know ... when I see it now.

Ill still  "believe a man can fly"

Richard Donner brought those comic pages to life.

Brilliant.

Just brilliant.

• Like 6

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

The use of light, colour and angle here tells the audience everything they need to know about the situation facing Luke without saying a single word. 
Well, until Vader speaks and compounds the moment.

EEF8BF7A-9B71-48EC-B84A-4C8224D57BE5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Also because of this:

(1987)

(1996)

A masterpiece within a masterpiece, most of the Sicily scenes below.

Vito is born in Corleone, grows up without a family and dies in New York with his family - Michael is born in New York, grows up with a family and dies in Corleone without his family. It has to be the best films/trilogy ever made and probably ever be.

Part III has it's known flaws, but the ending is one of the greats if not the best in any film. I think the film has become better over time. Michael/Al Pacino screaming just makes it. Just watching these scenes again have brought me happiness along with a lump in my throat/a tear in my eye, just wonderful. If you haven't watched them, watch them.

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

Also because of this:

(1987)

(1996)

A masterpiece within a masterpiece, most of the Sicily scenes below.

Vito is born in Corleone, grows up without a family and dies in New York with his family - Michael is born in New York, grows up with a family and dies in Corleone without his family. It has to be the best films/trilogy ever made and probably ever be.

Part III has it's known flaws, but the ending is one of the greats if not the best in any film. I think the film has become better over time. Michael/Al Pacino screaming just makes it. Just watching these scenes again have brought me happiness along with a lump in my throat/a tear in my eye, just wonderful. If you haven't watched them, watch them.

Also I forgot to say that Michael got the two women he loved the most in life, his first wife Apolloina and his only daughter Mary indirectly killed because of him. 

On 04/06/2021 at 17:14, @owlstalk said:

Think a few folk are getting 'best shots in movie history' confused totally with 'my favourite scene in movies'

FFS

Fine

Superman-Takes-flight.jpg.a10df1ef85abe6e78bf8f2b89312d108.jpg

• Like 2

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

the-silence-of-the-lambs-anthony-hopkins 

The-Silence-of-Lambs-Anthony-Hopkins-as- 

The+Silence+Of+The+Lambs+2.jpg 

Martha Stewart https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Stewart: 

Personal life

Subsequently, Martha Stewart dated Anthony Hopkins but ended the relationship after she saw The Silence of the Lambs. She stated she was unable to avoid associating Hopkins with the character of Hannibal Lecter.

d907a2f8365213b527301371caf22dc8.jpgtumblr_inline_mfvph3FGUI1rt2432.giflol  

On 06/06/2021 at 14:14, Errol Flashman said:

Fine

Superman-Takes-flight.jpg.a10df1ef85abe6e78bf8f2b89312d108.jpg

And this one...

image.thumb.png.edaeb0273362536c94abd7715b5e8d40.png

Breaking the 4th wall and smiling to the audience at the end of a really fun film. Not the most technically amazing shot but it has a lot of emotional content as it pretty much encapsulated Superman and the film you've just been watching for a couple of hours. I love it.

• Like 2

On 31/05/2021 at 08:13, Buck Rogers said:

The use of light, colour and angle here tells the audience everything they need to know about the situation facing Luke without saying a single word. 
Well, until Vader speaks and compounds the moment.

EEF8BF7A-9B71-48EC-B84A-4C8224D57BE5.jpeg

"Come into my layer," said the spider to the fly. 

This scene from the original POTA film when Taylor, and the audience, see one of the apes for the first time is still a magnificent piece of cinema. 

Helped in no uncertain way by Jerry Goldsmiths incredible score.

pota44.jpg.0ca0f82a5d7155149ffcdd5ab6dc0fb6.jpg

By his own admission, Christopher Lee's best film and perhaps the greatest British horror film ever made.

This scene is perhaps the most iconic and most recognised from The Wickerman.

12VIDEO_SPAN-superJumbo.thumb.jpg.00bf7e9a182c74db53f6f47bd7c04c29.jpg

Pretty simple and not really iconic as such but I love this shot from Romero's classic Dawn of the Dead. 

dotd2.jpg.e0304701d2615838a03f925d283043d5.jpg

• Like 1