Sheffield Wednesday almost signed Jamie Vardy from Leicester for £5 Million

It’s all well and good fans looking at Vardy’s record up to 2015 and saying “He’s only scored x goals in x games, that’s nothing special”.

You’d like to think scouts, coaches and managers would look a bit deeper than that, working out his attributes, how they could be used, how to play to his strengths and coming to a decision, like Ranieri did, that you might need to play a particular way to get the best out of him.  

Instead it appears our chairman decided he wasn’t good enough.  I can’t even get my head around how he’s making that decision, or how I only heard about this today.

3 hours ago, PARKOWL said:

Said it before on other Jamie Vardy posts,

it never happened they only time he remotely came close to thinking about it was in the summer before Leicester got promoted and he asked to either go back on loan to Fleetwood or here as he wasn't happy and had lost his confidence and it was Pearson who talked him in to staying at Leicester, they got promoted and he scored 20 odd goals including one at Hillsborough in which he chucked his shirt to his mates at the bottom of the south stand and the rest is history 

I can’t for the life of me remember Vardy playing against Wednesday, let alone scoring.

Guest LondonOwl313
32 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

It’s all well and good fans looking at Vardy’s record up to 2015 and saying “He’s only scored x goals in x games, that’s nothing special”.

You’d like to think scouts, coaches and managers would look a bit deeper than that, working out his attributes, how they could be used, how to play to his strengths and coming to a decision, like Ranieri did, that you might need to play a particular way to get the best out of him.  

Instead it appears our chairman decided he wasn’t good enough.  I can’t even get my head around how he’s making that decision, or how I only heard about this today.

People saying it was obvious he was a top player before 2015/16 are exhibiting hindsight bias though because it’s not backed up by the info available at the time. By that logic, if only you play to a strikers strengths they would be a world beater which isn’t the case. Sometimes things just click like they did with Vardy and Leicester.. it was the right club, right team, right manager at the right time. He could have also moved to Arsenal the summer after but stayed, Leicester is where it just works for him 

14 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

People saying it was obvious he was a top player before 2015/16 are exhibiting hindsight bias though because it’s not backed up by the info available at the time. By that logic, if only you play to a strikers strengths they would be a world beater which isn’t the case. Sometimes things just click like they did with Vardy and Leicester.. it was the right club, right team, right manager at the right time. He could have also moved to Arsenal the summer after but stayed, Leicester is where it just works for him 

Well, sort of.  I mean, he didn’t just suddenly become a good finisher in 2015.  The ability was always there, but if he wasn’t being put in the positions prior to that, that would explain his average goal return.  You would think that at some point a good coach or scout would be able to analyse the way he plays and say “He fits our style, if we put him in instead of x he will be more successful”.  Good scouting and coaching isn’t based on hindsight.

7 hours ago, PARKOWL said:

Said it before on other Jamie Vardy posts,

it never happened they only time he remotely came close to thinking about it was in the summer before Leicester got promoted and he asked to either go back on loan to Fleetwood or here as he wasn't happy and had lost his confidence and it was Pearson who talked him in to staying at Leicester, they got promoted and he scored 20 odd goals including one at Hillsborough in which he chucked his shirt to his mates at the bottom of the south stand and the rest is history 

He's never scored against Wednesday. He's played against us at Hillsborough once and we beat them 2-1 and it was Knockaert who scored for them. Oh and he got 16 goals, not 20.

11 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Just think Vardy could have been another injury prone striker starved of service and instead we signed injury prone striker Gary Hooper.

Was Gary Hooper injury prone before coming here?

His numbers suggest not.

13 hours ago, 83owl said:

Completely different characters. Vardy played a number of games with a broken wrist, Westwoods unavailable if he has a hair out of place.

Wouldn’t have mattered to monk. Could see it now, ‘get it forward I’ll chase owt and we might actually score’ ‘Jamie is a bad egg’ 

6 hours ago, Big Malc said:

Instead it appears our chairman decided he wasn’t good enough.  I can’t even get my head around how he’s making that decision

"easy! my well qualified football advisors informed me that they will not be making any money on the transfer" 

:Chansiri:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Sheffield Wednesday almost............you could apply that to so many things relating to the club it ought to be our motto.

a quick Latin conversion gives us

"Sheffield Wednesday Prope"  

But you could never say "Sheffield Wednesday almost broke the Guinness World Record for largest cake ball!"

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bobness said:

But you could never say "Sheffield Wednesday almost broke the Guinness World Record for largest cake ball!"

Very true......

We must have been employing some top notch people back then!!  That Guinness World Record application process requires you to complete at least one form with accurate information.....including dates!!! 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I can’t for the life of me remember Vardy playing against Wednesday, let alone scoring.

Definitely played at hillsborough And definitely chucked his shirt to his mates but could well be wrong on the scoring part 

Vardy has developed into a superb player, his vision and the way he stretches defences is world class. At the time though he wasn't the player he is now and 5 million did look a bit steep. I honestly think last season at 33 years old he played the best football of his career.

Don't forget Vardy is a year older than Hooper and so realistically his value in the transfer market should have gone down with little resale value. ( Like Hooper )

I hope that at some time Vardy comes back to Wednesday as he looks like the type of player who could continue playing at our level until he is 40 years old.

35 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Vardy has developed into a superb player, his vision and the way he stretches defences is world class. At the time though he wasn't the player he is now and 5 million did look a bit steep. I honestly think last season at 33 years old he played the best football of his career.

Don't forget Vardy is a year older than Hooper and so realistically his value in the transfer market should have gone down with little resale value. ( Like Hooper )

I hope that at some time Vardy comes back to Wednesday as he looks like the type of player who could continue playing at our level until he is 40 years old.

When Vardy is 40 we will be playing in the national league. I’m sure he will have no problem playing at our level.