9 o'clock tonight BBC2.

On 29/03/2021 at 13:19, adelphi1867 said:

'Finding Jack Charlton'

The best manager the club has had in my time of watching the Wednesday.

How his brother got a knight hood 'For services to football' and Jack didn't is an injustice, Jack did far more for Football than Bobby even dreamt about.

recorded this and watched today 1/4/21 so sad to see him deteriorate brought a tear to my eye when he was stood in house not knowing where he was and wife had to tell him to take his coat off. TOP MAN will always remember good things from him. good programme for those that didn't see it. and should have been knighted

• Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 11:52, Greengrass said:

Agree, i'm no expert on how to make a documentary but this just seemed classy, and moving.

Shame we didnt get mentioned but with such a life he lived difficult to get everything in.

Loved the bit where he recognised Paul McGrath.

I thought the most touching bit of the whole documentary was where he told Paul McGarth (Who had DTs from a drinking binge) if he didn't get off the team coach he wouldn't play for Ireland again, and them him going to his room later to apologise as he didn't realise McGrath's drinking problem was so bad.

• Like 3

One of the best and upsetting programs I’ve ever seen and showed what a wonderful football man and genuinely great human being jack was. On his relationship with his brother it’s always been clear to me that jack idolised bobby as a football player he always said he was the greatest player ever and you could tell he meant it shame is brother wasn’t half the man jack was 

6 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

One of the best and upsetting programs I’ve ever seen and showed what a wonderful football man and genuinely great human being jack was. On his relationship with his brother it’s always been clear to me that jack idolised bobby as a football player he always said he was the greatest player ever and you could tell he meant it shame is brother wasn’t half the man jack was 

I have read both Jack & Bobby's autobiographies and they fell out over thier Mothers relationship with Bobby's wife.

Basically they Mum for whatever reason disliked Bobby's wife. Bobby naturally took his wife side while Jack took his Mothers.

I like Bobby was annoyed that Jack made it all public in his book as well.

I dont think Bobby Charlton is a bad bloke just he is more introverted then his brother.

• Like 2

Still need to watch it. He was the manager when I first started going in 1981.

The last time I saw him was about 12 years ago..I was On the bus into town on my way to Hillsborough, might have been the Norwich game where Dion Dublin bowed out? Anyway, as the bus was going up past where Berlins was, I saw jack getting into a car/taxi, guessing he’d been staying over the road at the Jury..i just remember thinking, we’ll win today! And how bloody big he seemed. Love Jack.

Edited by fatzooma

Brian Clough once said if he could have had one defender for his team it would have been Jackie Charlton. I think the reason he never got a knighthood was because he supported the miners and never forgot his working class roots.

• Like 1

Very moving and well made , and for anyone of my generation who remembers Jack in his pomp managing us and what a larger than life character he was , it was also a very difficult watch.

Wonderful career in the game , he spent 5 years transforming our club and laying the foundations for Wilkinson and was a big enough man to walk when he realised his race had been run.

But more important than his career , he just seemed a lovely man , i remember loads of stories about his time at Hillsborough and in none of them did he come out looking bad , he was loved by family and colleagues alike , and in my life to date ,  his passing upset me more than probably any other bloke or woman for that matter that i didnt know personally.

• Love 1

Just watched this wonderful programme, touching, very. Jack started the turnaround, very much his way, that led to us becoming a team once more after the dross of the 70’s. So fond of him for his football brain but what a man. If only we could all be as good. Thank you Jack and sorry for the dementia of your later years. Your wife deserves a whole heap of praise as well. You will be in my mind at 3pm today.

I enjoyed the documentary, sensitivity made but found it a really difficult watch if that makes sense. Jack was without question the greatest manager we ever had and gave us our club back. He’s always been my hero. 

His man management skills and technical know how we’re exceptional. Coupled with a great personality, we became a well known club again. 

Sad as it was to see how dementia robbed him of so much in the end, what a fabulous life he lived.