Find it strange when people expect Mandaric to have a crystal ball and be able to foresee 6 years down the line.

He was ready to sell, he had an enthusiastic fella with the money to be able to do it. So he sold up.

Where would we be now if we were still under his stewardship?

Probably between 13th in the Championship and 10th in League One. We were losing money and without selling key players we weren't able to finance a team capable of going beyond that. The nature of the Championship means we'd probably have gone back down at some point.

That all being said, I'll look back on Milan's era with some good memories, promotion. Year on year improvement, some decent players coming in during that time as well.

Said it before, Milan's expertise and Chansiri's money as a pair, I think Wednesday get promoted. That's the bit that frustrates me, we've had all the pieces just not all at the same time.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2021 at 09:01, Daniele Giovanni said:

Had he still been in charge now, where would we be? I liked him a lot, got rid of Megson at the right time, but he sold out too early without doing any back ground checks on the present regime. 

Unfortunately  there are no tests for stupidity or pigheadedness.(Is that a word ? if not it should be !)

• Like 1

On 29/03/2021 at 10:11, mcmigo said:

We were an absolute mess at the point Mandaric took over.  We were in League 1, unable to make payroll, with Alan Irvine in charge of the team.  Off the field we had a combination of Nick Parker and Howard Wilkinson trying and failing to manage the thing, and the old guard lingering around looking after their own interests.  HMRC had us in court for unpaid taxes.  Years of mismanagement and off field chaos had just all come at once and wanted their cheques cashed.

When MM left we were in the league above, a stable mid table Championship team with a much improved squad built around a very solid spine of Westwood, Lees, Loovens, Lee, Semedo and Nuhiu, and a good coach in Stuart Gray.  The messy shares issue had been resolved, debts repaid or written off.  

Job done.

In other words Mandaruc saw a great business opportunity. He bought low and sold high. Job Done

He's a businessman and his interest was in turning the club around and thereby maximising his return.  Unemotional attachment! 

• Like 1

Had he still been in charge now, where would we be? I liked him a lot, got rid of Megson at the right time, but he sold out too early without doing any back ground checks on the present regime. 

If he were still in charge now we’d probably be 2 or 3 places above where we are now.

Once we got promoted to the Championship Milan Mandaric was happy to put the bare minimum into the club to ensure we didn’t return to League 1 and he had a Championship club to sell.

Don’t get me wrong, the guy saved our club and got us promoted but all he wanted to do was buy a League 1 club and then sell us for a profit in the division above while spending as little as he could in the process IMO.

That said, I’d take him back over the clown who currently owns the club every day of the week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

If he were still in charge now we’d probably be 2 or 3 places above where we are now.

Once we got promoted to the Championship Milan Mandaric was happy to put the bare minimum into the club to ensure we didn’t return to League 1 and he had a Championship club to sell.

Don’t get me wrong, the guy saved our club and got us promoted but all he wanted to do was buy a League 1 club and then sell us for a profit in the division above while spending as little as he could in the process IMO.

That said, I’d take him back over the clown who currently owns the club every day of the week.

Well all knew that was the plan, that's what he did,  however i wish he had stayed on after to advise DC

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, the third man said:

Well all knew that was the plan, that's what he did,  however i wish he had stayed on after to advise DC

Absolutely agree mate, and where we were when he bought the club we all happily accepted this plan. I’m just saying where I think we’d be if he’d stayed and why I think that.

I’d take Milan Mandaric however and his level of spending over Chansiri and his wasting millions every day of the week though.

He understood football, he knew how the game operates, he had good contacts, he wouldn’t be taken for a ride by agents and he let his managers manage. I’m not sure you can say any of the above about Chansiri.

Edited by TrickyTrev
  • Like 1

Wasn't it rumoured the Mandaric had a buyer lined up before DC? A price had been agreed then at the last minute Mandaric decided he wanted more and the buyer pulled out paving the way for DC.

7 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Absolutely agree mate, and where we were when he bought the club we all happily accepted this plan. I’m just saying where I think we’d be if he’d stayed and why I think that.

I’d take Milan Mandaric however and his level of spending over Chansiri and his wasting millions every day of the week though.

He understood football, he knew how the game operates, he had good contacts, he wouldn’t be taken for a ride by agents and he let his managers manage. I’m not sure you can say any of the above about Chansiri.

There’s no way we would be in the financial trouble we are now with him still in charge. As you say he’s a football man and would have the likes of FF straight out the door as soon as they started acting up.

• Like 1

Can never understand people having a pop at Milan. 

He bought the club and saved it from extinction. 

He stabilised it and got us promoted back to the championship. 

He never claimed to love us and quite openly stated it was a business opportunity for him and that his aim was to sell on for a profit. Why do people have this idea he had to love us?

He sold to DC who for the first two seasons looked to be delivering exactly what Milan promised. To sell to someone who could take us forward. 

How on earth can he be held in any way responsible for what Chansiri eventually started doing 2-3 seasons later? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, the third man said:

My understanding is that he did offer to stay on and help DC through the period of transition- but DC wanted to go his own way  from day one and declined his offer of assistance.

Sadly we’re  all now paying the price for his stubbornness and pigheadedness at the outset

• Like 1

On 30/03/2021 at 00:26, TomtheOwl95 said:

Said it before, Milan's expertise and Chansiri's money as a pair, I think Wednesday get promoted. That's the bit that frustrates me, we've had all the pieces just not all at the same time.

This would have been the magic ticket. IIRC, MM stuck around at Leicester in a similar capacity after he sold them.

14 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

My understanding is that he did offer to stay on and help DC through the period of transition- but DC wanted to go his own way  from day one and declined his offer of assistance.

Sadly we’re  all now paying the price for his stubbornness and pigheadedness at the outset

That does not surprise me, there’s plenty of others (who know what they’re doing) that also offered and the stubborn idiot said no to them too. 

Guest Hornsby

He sold club for £38 million with a stadium valuation of  £22.5 million.

Chansiri sells stadium for £60 million, 3 years later. 

Suggests Milan had his pants down.

8 hours ago, PeteG_1984 said:

This would have been the magic ticket. IIRC, MM stuck around at Leicester in a similar capacity after he sold them.

That does not surprise me, there’s plenty of others (who know what they’re doing) that also offered and the stubborn idiot said no to them too. 

Yes he was re-appointed Chairman for for a while at Leicester before leaving to pursue us I believe.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hornsby said:

He sold club for £38 million with a stadium valuation of  £22.5 million.

Chansiri sells stadium for £60 million, 3 years later. 

Suggests Milan had his pants down.

Stadium is worth what someone is prepared to pay.

On 30/03/2021 at 17:37, Kew Owl said:

Totally incorrect.

MM introduced DC to his advisors as part of the “investment package.”

Probably in Azerbaijan with his pants on fire

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, sonofbert2 said:

Totally incorrect.

MM introduced DC to his advisors as part of the “investment package.”

Totally incorrect

He left Paul Aldridge in place for 12 months as CEO to provide experience and support

And he sat there unused and frustrated for 12 months

13 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Totally incorrect

He left Paul Aldridge in place for 12 months as CEO to provide experience and support

And he sat there unused and frustrated for 12 months

He did indeed but he (MM) also introduced him to Paixao and Sir Dave (FFP) based on the Leicester model.

The rest is history.