Broadband Recommendations

18 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

Been with plusnet/force9 since dial up days. Always phone up when my contract ends to get a decent deal. No complaints about performance ever. 

Speaking to them once to sort out my contract and they told me I was the 14th person to sign up for F9. Just signed up for mobile after Vodafone tried to shaft me.

Edited by darra

So BT is standard stuff - not good, not bad at all

Plusnet though can take the exact same phone line that BT gives you and pumps in so so much more speed

At my house on BT I got about 9 MBPS which was just unusable
Plusnet - exact same line - I'm on 25MBPS

Owlstalk Shop

8 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

Anyone? Won’t be going with virgin that’s a given. Any to look at / steer clear of?

Here you go mate 👉 https://www.plus.net/refer.php?strReferralsUid=200514627b144e8e0567f5a881d10a5745783b5ef4ccf7d495f8f96e3437db73

Plusnet - and if you use that link we both get some nice benefits 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

We only ever install Virgin for clients if its the very last possible option for high speed internet.

Because of their completely sh** customer service we always have it billed to us so that our clients don't have to deal with their customer service, so that we have a number of circuits billed to us.

A client in the centre of Rotherham 2 years ago needed fast internet and it was only available on Virgin. Aftyer much discussion it turned out he needed 5 static IP addresses too - and the only way at the time to get that on Virgin was to go for their top business Voom Fibre package - which entitled the client to 500mBps download speeds as well.

The best download speed we have ever managed is 170mBps.

This pees me off, because while the client doesnt need it, I'm paying for it. So every now and then we open up a new case with Virgin to get it resolved, we jump through all the hoops designed to make us give up, and inevitably, we give up. We have never once been successful in getting an engineer to site. The client finds it hilarious that we keep trying - and keeps telling me not to bother as hes delighted with what we supply - but its a principle thing.

The fault has also outlived 4 separate business managers who have been allocated to manage our account, and have all got so pissed off with working there they've left Virgin and gone elsewhere.

"The best poster on Owlstalk by far" - Kaven Walker

18 minutes ago, Grandad said:

We only ever install Virgin for clients if its the very last possible option for high speed internet.

Because of their completely sh** customer service we always have it billed to us so that our clients don't have to deal with their customer service, so that we have a number of circuits billed to us.

A client in the centre of Rotherham 2 years ago needed fast internet and it was only available on Virgin. Aftyer much discussion it turned out he needed 5 static IP addresses too - and the only way at the time to get that on Virgin was to go for their top business Voom Fibre package - which entitled the client to 500mBps download speeds as well.

This pees me off, because while the client doesnt need it, I'm paying for it. So every now and then we open up a new case with Virgin to get it resolved, we jump through all the hoops designed to make us give up, and inevitably, we give up. We have never once been successful in getting an engineer to site. The client finds it hilarious that we keep trying - and keeps telling me not to bother as hes delighted with what we supply - but its a principle thing.

The fault has also outlived 4 separate business managers who have been allocated to manage our account, and have all got so pissed off with working there they've left Virgin and gone elsewhere.

You need to get out more 

On 12/04/2021 at 13:24, Grandad said:

Try switching it off and on  

• Haha 1