Under 23's v Dirty Blavdes 2 p.m.

Guest Grandad
13 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Why on earth are we playing first teamers with no interest..why arnt we playing the under 23/s??

We havent got enough of them to put a side out

41 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Had a reyt season Izzy Brown

It baffles me why Chelsea keep players like this (remember Jimmy Smith?) . He's not young, and is never going to get within a million miles of their first team squad so what's the point?   it's not like they're keeping him to prevent rivals like Liverpool snapping him up is it.  It's just bizarre.

1 minute ago, 31Dec1966 said:

It baffles me why Chelsea keep players like this (remember Jimmy Smith?) . He's not young, and is never going to get within a million miles of their first team squad so what's the point?   it's not like they're keeping him to prevent rivals like Liverpool snapping him up is it.  It's just bizarre.

Probably signed him up to a 6 year deal when he was 18 or something silly. Not fulfilled his promise. 

Our U23's has been as much of a mess as the first team. Didn't have enough players to put a team out at the start of the season and had to cobble together a squad from available rejects at the last minute. 

As has been said, the first teamers involved aren't going to be bothered about playing, they aren't bothered about playing for the first team and on their way in a few weeks. 

I'm not sure how feasible it is to keep u18 and u23 sides. Next season in L1 suspect those who otherwise would be involved will be needed for the first team. 

It’s easy for people to say ‘scrap the academy’ and I’ve been one of them. But how exactly do we start from scratch? 

Is it simply case of investing in brand new facilities away from Middlewood road (small and not much space to expand). But even if we did that, does that have much influence to promising youngsters? Lets have it right, the blunts control the territory in South Yorkshire and further afield in terms of attracting promising youngsters. 

I’m not going to pretend to know all the details, but it seems a good way to start would be get expert advice from someone who has had experience of working in an academy at a high level at another club.