Garry Monk “there were a lot of things wrong at SWFC”

14 minutes ago, tomhollywood said:

Agreed. I don't think the thread is meant to about discussing his managerial prowess though or lack of it as we've had hundreds of them.

It's to highlight that yet another professional within our domestic game is commenting publicly that we have massive issues behind the scenes.

THIS

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair enough, but it is no surprise either when fans point out that he wasn't entirely blameless for our results & performances. He points out that his big mistake was taking the job in the first place, does he acknowledge anywhere that he made other mistakes or is he simply commenting on this in order to account for one of the biggest failures on his CV as he tries to get back into work, because there have been plenty of jobs available around this level recently and he hasn't been considered to be the right man for any of them 

No doubt it's all part of his latest PR frenzy to get his face back in the mix. That's what they all do nowadays.

I'm not fussed if he acknowledges any other mistakes and I don't know if he does because I haven't read the full article. He's just another name in a long list of managers we've had since we dropped out of the prem.

My concern is that he hints at issues at the club and for me it's just another depressing return to continued mismanagement of the club as per the last couple of decades. We all thought DC was the start of a new era and the saviour and future of the club yet here we are. 6 years down the line, potentially in worse trouble than we have ever been.

• Like 1

It would be nice, just for one, if one of these people telling us there's a lot of things wrong at the club would actually specify exactly what is wrong from their point of view.

Carlos was going to tell us but never did.

Jos was just plainly the wrong appointment.

Bruce was off like a scalded cat.

Monk blamed the dressing room but that was obviously only part of the problem.

Pulis, things didn't work out, players never took to him but he's kept quiet.

They hint but never spill the beans. We all have our views but we don't know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tomhollywood said:

No doubt it's all part of his latest PR frenzy to get his face back in the mix. That's what they all do nowadays.

I'm not fussed if he acknowledges any other mistakes and I don't know if he does because I haven't read the full article. He's just another name in a long list of managers we've had since we dropped out of the prem.

My concern is that he hints at issues at the club and for me it's just another depressing return to continued mismanagement of the club as per the last couple of decades. We all thought DC was the start of a new era and the saviour and future of the club yet here we are. 6 years down the line, potentially in worse trouble than we have ever been.

We know.

When he took over we had already had a transfer embargo. We all knew with the state of the previous two accounts that we were heading for a breach of P&S rules and a likely points deduction, we knew the team was on the decline with the best players having reached the end of their contracts or moving into the last years, we no signs of selling players to refresh and no hope of spending on new players due to the finances. 

If most fans could see this then you would expect a manager to be able to do his due diligence and make a decision based on what impact he thought he could have. He did a good job to get the team into the top 6 but he had the same squad in the second half of the season and only HUll City got less points than us. From top 6 to 23rd for half a season with the same team, he has plenty of responsibility for that. 

The way the club is being run makes it difficult for any manager, not sure how Garry Monk saying so makes much difference unfortunately. 

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

skysports-garry-monk-sheffield_5167216.jpg

“The only mistake I feel I’ve made in terms of the decision to take a job has been Sheffield Wednesday,” he said, “Because it’s the only one where I knew in my heart before I took it that there were a lot of things wrong there.

“I think the reason why I took it was because of all the bullshit that Dong (Xuandong Ren, the chief executive) had said at Birmingham about me, publicly. I thought, ‘I’ve got to get back in to prove that wrong’.”

Sounds like a jilted lover.. he took it because he’s lucky to manage at this level and is unlikely to do so again. He’d say anything to blame the club to try and make out as if the failure isn’t his fault. There’s a lot of things wrong at this club but a big one of those things over the last 18 months was Garry Monk

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, tomhollywood said:

Everyone in this thread choosing to slate Monk is boring.

Regardless of how poor he did, it's yet another person in the world of football that is highlighting how bad things are behind the scenes.

Club is clearly dying behind the scenes.

It's depressing.

Lol he has an agenda though.. namely blame anything and everyone but himself and try and market himself to get another job. Some people are so gullible and will swallow any old bullshit

For me Monk was no worse than pulis , let's see how Moore gets on but the common denominator for the shi.t show are the players , getting a tune out of this lot is a task that even the greatest managers in the game would struggle with.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Lol he has an agenda though.. namely blame anything and everyone but himself and try and market himself to get another job.  

Manager 1 = "Yeah there were nasty surprises when I took the job at SWFC. Things aren't right there"

Wednesday fans = "Lol he has an agenda though.. namely blame anything and everyone but himself and try and market himself to get another job:"

Manager 2 = "Yeah there were nasty surprises when I took the job at SWFC. Things aren't right there"

Wednesday fans = "Lol he has an agenda though.. namely blame anything and everyone but himself and try and market himself to get another job:"

Manager 3 = "Yeah there were nasty surprises when I took the job at SWFC. Things aren't right there"

Manager 4  = "Yeah there were nasty surprises when I took the job at SWFC. Things aren't right there"

• Thanks 2

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Manager 1 = "Yeah there were nasty surprises when I took the job at SWFC. Things aren't right there"

Manager 2 = "Yeah there were nasty surprises when I took the job at SWFC. Things aren't right there"

Manager 3 = "Yeah there were nasty surprises when I took the job at SWFC. Things aren't right there"

Manager 4  = "Yeah there were nasty surprises when I took the job at SWFC. Things aren't right there"

They haven’t all said that though have they. I mean I’m not denying there are issues, we all know that. But only Monk is out in the media spreading stuff to try and make himself look better by deflecting blame.

I’d imagine that most clubs who sack a manager at this level have some sort of issue behind the scenes, it’s just part of the job. We aren’t the only ones

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

only Monk is out in the media spreading stuff to try and make himself look better by deflecting blame. 

He mentioned it as part of a wider interview/discussion he took part in

He didn't tout himself around journalists trying to stir up trouble FFS

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I’d imagine that most clubs who sack a manager at this level have some sort of issue behind the scenes, it’s just part of the job. We aren’t the only ones

Oh ok

Nothing to see here then

We're obviously a well run club and  nothing at our club is any different to any other

FFS

Jesus christ almight

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Andy W
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

skysports-garry-monk-sheffield_5167216.jpg

“The only mistake I feel I’ve made in terms of the decision to take a job has been Sheffield Wednesday,” he said, “Because it’s the only one where I knew in my heart before I took it that there were a lot of things wrong there.

“I think the reason why I took it was because of all the bullshit that Dong (Xuandong Ren, the chief executive) had said at Birmingham about me, publicly. I thought, ‘I’ve got to get back in to prove that wrong’.”

And how many knocks has he had on his door offering him a job?

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

They haven’t all said that though have they. I mean I’m not denying there are issues, we all know that. But only Monk is out in the media spreading stuff to try and make himself look better by deflecting blame.

He's not really spreading anything.

He's stating that there are issues (like others have) whilst simultaneously doing some PR for himself.

Also, how's he deflecting the $hitshow he was in charge of?  As much as DC is having a 'mare he wasn't the one who said Reach was a striker.

Monk's gone, another in a long list. I'm just glad people in the media are highlighting issues, whether it's ex managers or Sheffield star journalists. Hopefully more will and increase the pressure on DC and the absolute horror show he's been running for the last 5 years.

1 minute ago, Andy W said:

And how many knocks has he had on his door offering him a job?

Man = "hey mate your house is on fire. Its burning down. You're gonna be left with no house if you don't do anything about it"

Wednesday fan = "You're just trying to stir it and make a name for yourself"

*wednesday fan stands and watches his house burn down to the ground*

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, Mr. Chow said:

say what what was wrong then, the amount of people stating things are wrong but not stating what is actually wrong.

Confidentiality clauses means they can't

Besides - why would he? 
He has no reason to do anyone any favours here
Especially our fans who keep blaming him for the issues at our club (that existed before he came, existed whilst he was here, and exist today after he's gone)

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop