On 24/03/2021 at 19:16, @owlstalk said:

Because it is profitable

People don't go to the one in Sheffield.
It's always empty
Nobody goes there enough

Including you

Leeds store is not profitable. Has not made a profit since it opened.

Thats from some who works there. 

Difference is Leeds is more modern building and does not need millions spending on bringing it up to date.

Don't be surprised to see it go in next round of closures.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Jakes Grandad said:

Leeds store is not profitable. Has not made a profit since it opened.

Thats from some who works there. 

Difference is Leeds is more modern building and does not need millions spending on bringing it up to date.

Don't be surprised to see it go in next round of closures.

Apparently Leeds is less profitable than Sheffield overall.

The council agreed to spend to bring the Sheffield store up to date — something John Lewis agreed to just last year before reneging on the deal. That's my main problem with it. They agreed to keep the Sheffield store just a few months ago and signed a deal to that effect, then pulled the rug soonafter whilst simultaneously planning a new e-commerce depot for online sales to bastardise the bricks-and-mortar sales. I don't mind them pulling out and concentrating on online in the area.. but the sneaky, horrible way they've gone about it is contemptible.

• Like 3
On 24/03/2021 at 19:12, Ronnie Starling said:

If John Lewis had to close stores then choosing between Sheffield and Leeds was a no brainer. The choice of shops restaurants and bars in Leeds is on another level compared to Sheffield.

Plus a much bigger selection of racist thugs...

6 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

Apparently Leeds is less profitable than Sheffield overall.

The council agreed to spend to bring the Sheffield store up to date — something John Lewis agreed to just last year before reneging on the deal. That's my main problem with it. They agreed to keep the Sheffield store just a few months ago and signed a deal to that effect, then pulled the rug soonafter whilst simultaneously planning a new e-commerce depot for online sales to bastardise the bricks-and-mortar sales. I don't mind them pulling out and concentrating on online in the area.. but the sneaky, horrible way they've gone about it is contemptible.

It has been sneaky and horrible I agree. The way the staff have been treated is despicable also.

• Like 1