John Lewis Sheffield to Close.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What do the do in the city centre at 7am?

Loiter round, pee in the peace gardens and graffiti everywhere?

Pounce about posing sat outside a café with your laptop, pretending you someone important.  Their grandparents were the first ones with mobile phones.  Smug gits. 

15 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

This is a fantastic idea once you retire you get sent there, have all the amenities on hand, free to live there and your old house gets donated to the country.

Solves the housing issues,  creates jobs, old people live happier lives littter and graffiti free

Would be a gated community too - secure and security guards on the way in to stop people who want to go doorknocking/selling etc

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Solves the housing issues,  creates jobs, old people live happier lives littter and graffiti free

Would be a gated community too - secure and security guards on the way in to stop people who want to go doorknocking/selling etc

What could possibly go wrong?

The "15 Minute City" is the future of planning.

"The concept is to improve quality of life by creating cities where everything a resident needs can be reached within a quarter of an hour by foot or bike. The 15-minute city requires minimal travel among housing, offices, restaurants, parks, hospitals and cultural venues. Each neighbourhood should fulfil six social functions: living, working, supplying, caring, learning and enjoying."

Many cities are moving to this model now, including huge capitals like Paris. 

I await the "But, but.... CARS!" moaning...

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Milton Keynes

Oldbury.

Describes what they are, and what should be done with them.

Edited by mirodo

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 16.26.02.jpg

Here is where it should be

The triangle space of land between Newark, Lincoln and Worksop

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 16.26.02.jpg

Here is where it should be

The triangle space of land between Newark, Lincoln and Worksop

handy for Sundown Pets Corner too

• Haha 1
On 24/03/2021 at 22:35, Bannofan said:

Atkinsons is still hanging on in the redeveloped Moor, but I don't know how the lockdown has affected them.

M&S  still on Fargate but struggling. 

That's it I think, Debenhams went the other month.

City Centre now only good for Arts  and entertainment  -  loads of good food and drink places, theatres and cinemas. 

As for the market, I don't know how the stalls hang on there.

The older generation shopped at the market, it will die soon enough. Unless it reinvents itself somehow 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

That'll do it

lol

What would have done it is all those signing the petition to have shopped at JL.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not a chance...

Does not have the density of customers of the right demographic in the catchment area to make it profitable.

Their words not mine

12 hours ago, M Royds said:

What would have done it is all those signing the petition to have shopped at JL.

What if it isn't old people not shopping in those places that's killing them. 

(Because they still do shop in them like they always have)

Maybe it's young people not shopping in them that's killed them.

(Because they shop online.) 

Younger people who don't do physical shopping, blaming old people who do do physical shopping ...for physical shops shutting.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

On 25/03/2021 at 08:03, StudentOwl said:

One thing that myself and my friends who went to uni in Sheffield all agree on, whether we be from Bristol, London, Lancashire or Derbyshire, is that Sheffielders are very resistant to change. It's literally a personality trait of the city and its people. "Stuck in the past" has been used more than once by more than one person. Whenever I ask people of my age that have left Sheffield and subsequently returned, they all say the same thing too. I think this thread highlights that perfectly. There is an ingrained phobia of it.

It makes sense. By my understanding, ever since the 70s, any proposed exciting change has left the city inherently worse off as a result. The obvious cliché being the mining industry. Those scars run deep. But until that phobia and attitude fundamentally changes, Sheffield will continue to sink further behind the likes of Manchester and Leeds.

its not just Sheffielders...you can go to any town or City and the same trait exists...unless they have a very forward thinking Council and like it or not Sheffield over the years has been held back over the years with very old people at the top that has made poor decisions and could be seen as 'stuck in their ways'

People in general don't like change its kinda human nature especially the elderly.

So in my experience people who come into the City fall in love with the place instantly! ...few of my customers for example ...an Indian guy who lived on West Street that had been all over the world did his absolute best to extend his stay here but ultimately he had to move on in the end and he was gutted!

A guy from London once said to me Sheffield was the best kept secret and many many more including loads of students.

Yes the City needs a revamp like most really...some are ahead of us and some aren't... see Lancashire for this, but the one thing that really boils my pìss is hearing a local slagging their own town and City off ( not you btw) I just cannot understand it.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

its not just Sheffielders...you can go to any town or City and the same trait exists...unless they have a very forward thinking Council and like it or not Sheffield over the years has been held back over the years with very old people at the top that has made poor decisions and could be seen as 'stuck in their ways'

People in general don't like change its kinda human nature especially the elderly.

So in my experience people who come into the City fall in love with the place instantly! ...few of my customers for example ...an Indian guy who lived on West Street that had been all over the world did his absolute best to extend his stay here but ultimately he had to move on in the end and he was gutted!

A guy from London once said to me Sheffield was the best kept secret and many many more including loads of students.

Yes the City needs a revamp like most really...some are ahead of us and some aren't... see Lancashire for this, but the one thing that really boils my pìss is hearing a local slagging their own town and City off ( not you btw) I just cannot understand it.

Good point not many outsiders slag the city/area off.  Maybe it's a case of the grass is greener.