Frank Worthington

In the  2012 promotion I was a guest of the match sponsor at the Huddersfield away game . Frank was the guest speaker and was hilarious. One of the best story tellers I've ever seen as well as one of the best ever maverick players.

• Like 6

Part of a top Leicester team in the 70s. Joe Mercer put him in the England side after Revie left. Mercer started to get something out of the side with style and FW was a big part of that. Didn't last sadly. Still remember that eastern European tour.

RIP FW

5 hours ago, Mickjj said:

In the  2012 promotion I was a guest of the match sponsor at the Huddersfield away game . Frank was the guest speaker and was hilarious. One of the best story tellers I've ever seen as well as one of the best ever maverick players.

Even the referee is applauding that

• Like 1

On 23/03/2021 at 14:27, edmontonowl said:

Part of a top Leicester team in the 70s. Joe Mercer put him in the England side after Revie left. Mercer started to get something out of the side with style and FW was a big part of that. Didn't last sadly. Still remember that eastern European tour.

RIP FW

He was one of a whole raft of talented "mavericks" from that era that Ramsey, Revie and Greenwood largely ignored.

As well as Worthington there was Rodney Marsh, Alan Hudson, Peter Osgood, Stan Bowles, Duncan McKenzie, Charlie George, Lawrie Cunningham,.........................and Tony Currie only won half as many caps as he should have.

It is no coincidence that during this time we failed to qualify for two consecutive World Cup Final Tournaments, as we seemed to prefer packing our side with tow the line, honest triers, (bit like Wednesday :biggrin:)

Edited by sheriwozgod
  • Like 3