Qatar world cup

I can't even begin to imagine what this tournament will end up being like.

I thought Russia would be terrible, but it turned out to be excellent.

Qatar  WC is wrong on all kinds of levels. For a start I can't imagine watching a WC in December. I don't think the TV coverage will be as extensive as usual, most games will probably be bumped to secondary channels and online options.

I've said before, I'm expecting a high number of player no shows..it's the middle of the European season so there will be more players missing through injury, and I expect loads will retire from International football before it, not wanting anything to do with it. Maybe some will not go on ethical/moral grounds ( or be persuaded not to by their clubs).

This has a high chance of some ridiculous results as well, this could be the tournament where an African or Asian team win it. 

I still can't believe it's going ahead there, quite frankly. I was convinced it would have collapsed by now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bannofan said:

I can't even begin to imagine what this tournament will end up being like.

I thought Russia would be terrible, but it turned out to be excellent.

Qatar  WC is wrong on all kinds of levels. For a start I can't imagine watching a WC in December. I don't think the TV coverage will be as extensive as usual, most games will probably be bumped to secondary channels and online options.

I've said before, I'm expecting a high number of player no shows..it's the middle of the European season so there will be more players missing through injury, and I expect loads will retire from International football before it, not wanting anything to do with it. Maybe some will not go on ethical/moral grounds ( or be persuaded not to by their clubs).

This has a high chance of some ridiculous results as well, this could be the tournament where an African or Asian team win it. 

I still can't believe it's going ahead there, quite frankly. I was convinced it would have collapsed by now.

I was looking forward to Russia, but not this one, same with the Euros this summer too. Isn't the 2026 WC North American (Canada, USA and Mexico)? That should be good, also Euro 2024 is in Germany too. 

Same with watching it in December, but I think the TV coverage will be the same.

I forgot about it being played in the middle of the season which is going to be crap too, but I don't think many will retire before it or not go on ethical/moral grounds though. Also an African or Asian team won't win it either, I would be very surprised if that happened. Don't we also have more nations this time too? What's going to happen with the stadiums etc. after? 

Who gets 2030 will be interesting as well. I would probably choose the Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Chile (Peru & Bolivia is rumoured too) one, as it would be the 100th anniversary since the first one in Uruguay where Uruguay won it against Argentina. If it goes with money etc. though I have a feeling China will get it.

I see Blatter has got an additional football band of 6 years and 8 months, due to run after his current ban has ended. That means he will be banned from football until he is approx 91 years old.

In its findings, world football's investigatory chamber found Blatter accepted "an undue economic benefit" of 23m Swiss Francs (£18m) "split over the years 2010 to 2014, as a result of the conflict of interest created by the allocation and execution of extraordinary bonus payments between limited top-ranking Fifa officials".

Qatar did not win the bid because of bribes, not at all. They got the World Cup purely on merit. 👀

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, owl_83 said:

I see Blatter has got an additional football band of 6 years and 8 months, due to run after his current ban has ended. That means he will be banned from football until he is approx 91 years old.

Qatar did not win the bid because of bribes, not at all. They got the World Cup purely on merit. 👀

Would think every major sporting event somewhere along the line palms are greased. 

• Like 2

@BannofanNorway players yesterday wore "HUMAN RIGHTS on and off the pitch" T-shirts before the match: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56516109 

norway-human-rights-shirts.jpg 

I don't think it will mean much though with Norway still playing in qualifying/the WC finals if the team qualifies? It's a nice gesture, but like you kinda said it would require a team/s to boycott it for major things maybe to happen, but I doubt any of that would happen though.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2021 at 08:00, Incognito Owl said:

@BannofanNorway players yesterday wore "HUMAN RIGHTS on and off the pitch" T-shirts before the match: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56516109 

I don't think it will mean much though with Norway still playing in qualifying/the WC finals if the team qualifies? It's a nice gesture, but like you kinda said it would require a team/s to boycott it for major things maybe to happen, but I doubt any of that would happen though.

There's talk of boycotting though? Would love to see it happen.The whole thing is a corrupt farce. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Otley Owl said:

There's talk of boycotting though? Would love to see it happen.The whole thing is a corrupt farce. 

On 25/03/2021 at 08:00, Incognito Owl said:

De Ligt ,the Netherlands skipper,  has said they are going to stage some kind of protest against Qatar and their human rights record in the next qualifier. 

Germany also had 'Human Rights' spelled out in shirts before their game.

This is quite bizarre; how can they acknowledge the terrible issues with this next WC, But still be happy to play there? 

Again, maybe as it get closer some players may declare that they are unwilling to participate,  but surely they should state that now so the qualifiers can take place without them? 

Example - if Jordan Henderson stated now that he had no intention of playing in the World Cup , Southgate probably wouldn't pick him again, preferring to build a team without him.  

Maybe players are waiting to see if they actually qualify before making such a major decision? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Otley Owl said:

I haven't really heard/seen that. I agree, it would though be kinda sad for the actual competition. Australia should have been the choice. Just read this on the 2022 WC Wiki page too: "Qatar is the smallest nation by area ever to be awarded a FIFA World Cup - the next smallest by area is Switzerland, host of the 1954 FIFA World Cup, which is more than three times as large as Qatar and only needed to host 16 teams instead of the current 32." Plus throw in it's being played outside of the summer because of the heat and that 4 out of the 8 stadiums are being built from scratch, with also 1 being upgraded etc. Just found this too: https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/boycotting-the-2022-fifa-world-cup-in-qatar-would-be-a-big-mistake-says-belgium-manager-roberto-martinez-1.5363735 He said it would be the easy option etc, but I would disagree.     

3 hours ago, Bannofan said:

De Ligt ,the Netherlands skipper,  has said they are going to stage some kind of protest against Qatar and their human rights record in the next qualifier. 

Germany also had 'Human Rights' spelled out in shirts before their game.

This is quite bizarre; how can they acknowledge the terrible issues with this next WC, But still be happy to play there? 

Again, maybe as it get closer some players may declare that they are unwilling to participate,  but surely they should state that now so the qualifiers can take place without them? 

Example - if Jordan Henderson stated now that he had no intention of playing in the World Cup , Southgate probably wouldn't pick him again, preferring to build a team without him.  

Maybe players are waiting to see if they actually qualify before making such a major decision? 

uolidsayaznx8yrh_1616738171.jpeg?tr=w-75 

Yeah I agree now some players might boycott, maybe some players might fear doing it for backlash? It's going to feel kinda wrong watching it, let alone participating in it. I still feel that BBC and ITV will broadcast most of the matches as normal, but I wonder if the viewership will be down?

1 minute ago, Incognito Owl said:

I haven't really heard/seen that. I agree, it would though be kinda sad for the actual competition. Australia should have been the choice. Just read this on the 2022 WC Wiki page too: "Qatar is the smallest nation by area ever to be awarded a FIFA World Cup - the next smallest by area is Switzerland, host of the 1954 FIFA World Cup, which is more than three times as large as Qatar and only needed to host 16 teams instead of the current 32." Plus throw in it's being played outside of the summer because of the heat and that 4 out of the 8 stadiums are being built from scratch, with also 1 being upgraded etc. Just found this too: https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/boycotting-the-2022-fifa-world-cup-in-qatar-would-be-a-big-mistake-says-belgium-manager-roberto-martinez-1.5363735 He said it would be the easy option etc, but I would disagree.     

uolidsayaznx8yrh_1616738171.jpeg?tr=w-75 

Yeah I agree now some players might boycott, maybe some players might fear doing it for backlash? It's going to feel kinda wrong watching it, let alone participating in it. I still feel that BBC and ITV will broadcast most of the matches as normal, but I wonder if the viewership will be down?

*played outside of the summer for the first time because...

Its going to be crapest world cup ever. 

Not only are we going to only have England out of home nations qualifying but fixtures are going to be rammed in between 21st Nov to Dec 18th meaning group stages will have to played very quickly with at least 4 maybe more games per day. 

I can't see many fans wanting to travel to Qatar either, a lot of games will be played in near empty stadiums unless they let locals in for nowt. 

Mental that Qatar was awarded tournament in first place when there's countries like Australia that have never had it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Nobody will ever convince me that Qatar didn't buy that world cup from Blatter and the other bent FIFA officials.

Absolutely and let's be honest, the Russian bid was bent too and I actually thought that it would turn out to be quite a poor WC actually was really decent.

Qatar though...it will be awful viewing imo.

• Thanks 1

Be interesting if any teams or players pull out of the Qatar World Cup.
My guess is they will try to find a middle ground of not pulling out but still protesting about human rights.

Reminds a bit of the 2003 Cricket World Cup when England didn't play in Zimbabwe due to human rights / security concerns.

Think that was one for 1 match though not the whole competition.

• Like 1