Jump to content

Michael Palin - “My beloved Blades”


Recommended Posts

Always thought he was a Wednesdayite - very much NOT the case it seems, if you just heard his intro to the pigs match on the BBC

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When he was a kid he had more affinity with United. Moved down London and welcomed any victory from Sheffield sides. He came back up north about 8 years ago and someone cornered him saying "you can only support one team", so he 'came out' as a Blade. Says he wants both sides to do well though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Owl Be Back said:

When he was a kid he had more affinity with United. Moved down London and welcomed any victory from Sheffield sides. He came back up north about 8 years ago and someone cornered him saying "you can only support one team", so he 'came out' as a Blade. Says he wants both sides to do well though.

 

Source here: https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/738302/my-club-michael-palin/

Link to post
Share on other sites

He mentions our shellacking at Brentford on his interview on Richard Herrings podcast.

Great listen

 

He's a Blade really but as a Sheffielder in exile roots for both teams

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, the third man said:

Dont think he supports either team, says good things about both

Yep, not sure who he'd root for in a derby but he's said before that he'd back either Sheffield team against anyone else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrsHall said:

What yer doin watching Pigs....caught yer :tango:. UTO.

 

I maybe watching it. Got £16 riding on it, on over goals up to 8.5

 

Come on Chelsea. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Always thought he was a Wednesdayite - very much NOT the case it seems, if you just heard his intro to the pigs match on the BBC

 

He's not really a big football fan in the tribal sense is he. He has always seemed to prefer them over us but not in the sense that it is either them or us, he's always seemed to want both to do well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Doghouse Daz said:

 

I maybe watching it. Got £16 riding on it, on over goals up to 8.5

 

Come on Chelsea. 

Good luck 🙂 UTO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember in one of his 80’s or 90’s travel shows when he was in a foreign country he lifted up a cup and said “Wednesday have won it!” or something like that.  
 

Anyway I think he clearly doesn’t have a specific affinity to either and it’s more a case of broadcasters saying “what celebrity do we know from Sheffield who will say some nice things ?” 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mildatheart67 said:

He mentions our shellacking at Brentford on his interview on Richard Herrings podcast.

Great listen

 

He's a Blade really but as a Sheffielder in exile roots for both teams

 

If you read his autobiography he's fairly clear that he follows both teams, but "at home" it's the Blunts.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...