Michael Palin - “My beloved Blades”

Always thought he was a Wednesdayite - very much NOT the case it seems, if you just heard his intro to the pigs match on the BBC

• Like 1

When he was a kid he had more affinity with United. Moved down London and welcomed any victory from Sheffield sides. He came back up north about 8 years ago and someone cornered him saying "you can only support one team", so he 'came out' as a Blade. Says he wants both sides to do well though.

• Like 2
Just now, Owl Be Back said:

When he was a kid he had more affinity with United. Moved down London and welcomed any victory from Sheffield sides. He came back up north about 8 years ago and someone cornered him saying "you can only support one team", so he 'came out' as a Blade. Says he wants both sides to do well though.

Source here: https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/738302/my-club-michael-palin/

He mentions our shellacking at Brentford on his interview on Richard Herrings podcast.

Great listen

He's a Blade really but as a Sheffielder in exile roots for both teams

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, the third man said:

Dont think he supports either team, says good things about both

Yep, not sure who he'd root for in a derby but he's said before that he'd back either Sheffield team against anyone else.

2 minutes ago, MrsHall said:

What yer doin watching Pigs....caught yer :tango:. UTO.

I maybe watching it. Got £16 riding on it, on over goals up to 8.5

Come on Chelsea. 

• Haha 3
11 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Always thought he was a Wednesdayite - very much NOT the case it seems, if you just heard his intro to the pigs match on the BBC

He's not really a big football fan in the tribal sense is he. He has always seemed to prefer them over us but not in the sense that it is either them or us, he's always seemed to want both to do well. 

• Like 1
Just now, Doghouse Daz said:

I maybe watching it. Got £16 riding on it, on over goals up to 8.5

Come on Chelsea. 

Good luck 🙂 UTO.

• Like 1

Remember in one of his 80’s or 90’s travel shows when he was in a foreign country he lifted up a cup and said “Wednesday have won it!” or something like that.  

Anyway I think he clearly doesn’t have a specific affinity to either and it’s more a case of broadcasters saying “what celebrity do we know from Sheffield who will say some nice things ?” 

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, mildatheart67 said:

He mentions our shellacking at Brentford on his interview on Richard Herrings podcast.

Great listen

He's a Blade really but as a Sheffielder in exile roots for both teams

If you read his autobiography he's fairly clear that he follows both teams, but "at home" it's the Blunts.

• Thanks 1