Players that increased in value

Part of being a successful team at this level is signing players who are worth more several seasons later, or even the same season. I don’t think Wednesday currently have any players worth more than when they joined us, but when is the last time we could have sold anyone for a profit? Has there been anyone recently who could have gone for over 10m?
It seems like colossal mismanagement if everyone signed loses value.

9 minutes ago, ashamanic said:

Part of being a successful team at this level is signing players who are worth more several seasons later, or even the same season. I don’t think Wednesday currently have any players worth more than when they joined us, but when is the last time we could have sold anyone for a profit? Has there been anyone recently who could have gone for over 10m?

Very subtle.  

• Like 1

In the DC era......That I can recall, we've improved (albeit for a short time) three players significantly before letting the moment pass. Bannan, Forestieri and Reach.

Improving players and moving them on is not just essential from a financial perspective. As we know all too well its also vitally important to have a certain amount of "churn" within the squad to avoid the kind of issues we've seen like the stale and sickening complacency....

The one thing we have increased consistently across the majority of our players is sick leave............

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Generally though, the OP is right, but when your criteria is experience, and you don’t by players under the age of 26, you are unlikely to see much of a return, after a few years, on your initial investment

It’s a crazy way to operate. I just can’t see the logic whatsoever.

7 hours ago, ashamanic said:

Iorfa.

• Like 2

We are terrible at this.

People mostly point to the Forestieri case, and when you look back we clearly should have sold for 12 million but at the time i thought it was the right decision. We had just lost the playoff final and he was one of the best players in the league. Fulham were a promotion rival and we were supposedly looking to go the one step further so really not selling was the way to go. As it happened we changed our style of play paid others more he threw his toys out an it all went wrong. But at the time it was the right decision.

Reach was different, we were in decline money was tight and Reach decided to have a great season. Why oh why we didnt sell then when we could and needed to i dont know.

• Like 1

I know it's been said a million times, but this is where we need to be looking at a club like Brentford. A small club yes, but a club who are knocking on the door of the Premier league employing a model that earns them vast amounts of money from selling players they picked up from the lower leagues as youngsters and developing  them.this policy gives them a young, athletic team. They do this year in, year out whilst also getting success on the pitch. We are so far behind clubs like this on every level. 

• Like 3

Sterland (trainee) Warhurst (Oldham) Bart-Williams (Leyton Orient), Palmer (West Brom); trying to think of other players we took from lower league teams or trainees, improve them, and sold for more money than we bought them for. 

32 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

The Wednesday Way get them for nothing ,Develop them ,make them worth millions ,Then give them away for free.

Were also quite good at taking crocks on loan . Get them fit then send them back..eg Flint at Cardiff

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Sterland (trainee) Warhurst (Oldham) Bart-Williams (Leyton Orient), Palmer (West Brom); trying to think of other players we took from lower league teams or trainees, improve them, and sold for more money than we bought them for. 

Agreed, not many.

Brian Marwood

Dalian Atkinson

But it also makes me think of:

Lee Chapman

Andy Sinton

Darko Kovacevic (Real Sociedad sold him on to Juventus for £12million 3 years after buying him from us)

Terry Curran

De Bilde

3 minutes ago, Since 1971 said:

Agreed, not many.

Brian Marwood

Dalian Atkinson

But it also makes me think of:

Lee Chapman

Andy Sinton

Darko Kovacevic (Real Sociedad sold him on to Juventus for £12million 3 years after buying him from us)

Terry Curran

De Bilde

Di Canio, another record signing we lost for next to nothing

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

We are terrible at this.

People mostly point to the Forestieri case, and when you look back we clearly should have sold for 12 million but at the time i thought it was the right decision. We had just lost the playoff final and he was one of the best players in the league. Fulham were a promotion rival and we were supposedly looking to go the one step further so really not selling was the way to go. As it happened we changed our style of play paid others more he threw his toys out an it all went wrong. But at the time it was the right decision.

Reach was different, we were in decline money was tight and Reach decided to have a great season. Why oh why we didnt sell then when we could and needed to i dont know.

You get an offer 4x what you paid for a player then you sell them. Doesn’t matter if you’re looking to win the league or avoid relegation. Doesn’t matter if it’s January or September. They are second tier players and should be easily replaced, especially in the case of a player who has played well for 18 months out of his entire 12 year career so far.

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

I know it's been said a million times, but this is where we need to be looking at a club like Brentford. A small club yes, but a club who are knocking on the door of the Premier league employing a model that earns them vast amounts of money from selling players they picked up from the lower leagues as youngsters and developing  them.this policy gives them a young, athletic team. They do this year in, year out whilst also getting success on the pitch. We are so far behind clubs like this on every level. 

We literally do the opposite. We disregard any player under 23 and fawn over 30 odd year olds on massive wages.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1