4 hours ago, bobness said:

Shouldn't have gone into a season with a promising young (cheap) player with just 12 months on their contract... 

OK, dad

He was out of contract last summer. He was given a contract extension when money was (and is ) tight and also when his stock wasn't as high as it is currently becoming. 

12 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Offer him a decent League One wage and a three year contract 9am Monday morning. Structure it so if we get promoted he gets a wage rise, if he plays x games he gets a wage rise.

Tell him we're planning on rebuilding the squad and we want him to be a core part of that rebuild. If needs be, put in a release clause in his contract.

I know it sounds very "Football Manager" of me, but that's all we can do and it's exactly what we should do and would be fair. It's clear he will be a ruddy decent player in League One next season, and he's young enough to be a part of our squad for years to come. Tell him as such. Treat him as such. Pay him as such. Make him feel wanted and show him he is. 

Otherwise he'll be off, earning his fair market value and getting better month on month.

Meanwhile... back in the real world. 

Cash strapped Sheffield Wednesday who, when their last accounts were published, had employment costs of 160% of revenue and need to make further savings to avoid more P&S sanctions, offer what they can afford. 

Players agent hawks him round every club in the land and secures a significantly higher wage and hefty signing on fee due to the saving in potential transfer fee. Greedy agent gets in players ear every day telling him to leave in order to secure his commission on the move. 

Player leaves. Stating his new club represents an opportunity too good to miss. 

The End. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim said:

I think some are underestimating the influence of Darren Moore. I genuinely think Moore is a manager players are going to want to play for particularly younger ones. Moore is here in January and Shaw doesn’t sign for Celtic and commits to staying here IMO.

Most players know managers are transient. Unrealistic to think any player would base his decision on a manager who could be gone in 6 months. 

As with Shaw, why would Osaze want to stay at a club in decline that loses more often than not, doesn’t pay wages on time and only last week was (rightly) described as like a clown car? 

• Like 1

We literally have a blank canvas for next season

Players out of contract releasing much needed funds for realistic rebuilding

Osaze is our player for now, putting us in pole position

Money should talk as his stock is improving with every game

Make the lad a good offer, he could be worth so much more in years to come

4 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

He was out of contract last summer. He was given a contract extension when money was (and is ) tight and also when his stock wasn't as high as it is currently becoming. 

Is that supposed to justify the handling of it? As with Shaw, 12 months is a joke. If the player proves himself, clubs will be circling. It's not rocket science that it's asking for trouble. Meanwhile, we are signing other players on more money, and longer contracts. 

One of the reasons money is tight, is because we are clueless... 

Just now, bobness said:

Is that supposed to justify the handling of it? As with Shaw, 12 months is a joke. If the player proves himself, clubs will be circling. It's not rocket science that it's asking for trouble. Meanwhile, we are signing other players on more money, and longer contracts. 

One of the reasons money is tight, is because we are clueless... 

Our recruitment has been poor yes.

There was no clamour for us to sign him on a long term contract last summer though. Who knows, he might not have wanted to commit to longer anyway whilst given the turmoil last summer a one year extension made sense to him and his agent. Hopefully he'll sign again. A big worry is that he moves to another country and shrinks any compensation.

2 hours ago, happy bunny said:

We literally have a blank canvas for next season

Players out of contract releasing much needed funds for realistic rebuilding

Osaze is our player for now, putting us in pole position

Money should talk as his stock is improving with every game

Make the lad a good offer, he could be worth so much more in years to come

Agree with this. Money will be tight for most clubs and if Ozaze wanted to move to another club in this country we'd likely get up front compensation plus sell on clause. Not ideal but many clubs will be looking for zero fee options given the financial constraints prevailing. 

I don’t the hype. This lad has got an awful long way to go yet. Lack of crowds have helped him, because when he played at Hillsborough he looked way out of his depth. 

For his development he’d be better off a season in League 1 learning his trade from Moore. 

8 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Our recruitment has been poor yes.

There was no clamour for us to sign him on a long term contract last summer though. Who knows, he might not have wanted to commit to longer anyway whilst given the turmoil last summer a one year extension made sense to him and his agent. Hopefully he'll sign again. A big worry is that he moves to another country and shrinks any compensation.

We already recruited him. And what do you mean by "there was no clamour for us"? Are you talking about the fan base or the club? If you meant the former, that's a Chansiri-esque sort of excuse, and for what's it's worth, when the 12-month deals were announced I scratched my head (just as I scratched my head when hearing Bruce was given just 12 months), and I'm sure many others did as well. 12 months just isn't a long time in football.

The pattern is that the club struggles to grasp the concept of making money on transfers

Edited by bobness

Just now, vulva said:

I don’t the hype. This lad has got an awful long way to go yet. Lack of crowds have helped him, because when he played at Hillsborough he looked way out of his depth. 

For his development he’d be better off a season in League 1 learning his trade from Moore. 

There is something in this but for me he has progressed a lot this year. Still work to do if course. Yes he had at least one bad game at Hillsborough but I think he has real talent and physique to match.

1 minute ago, bobness said:

We already recruited him. And what do you mean by "there was no clamour for us"? Are you talking about the fan base or the club? If you meant the former, that's a Chansiri-esque sort of excuse, and for what's it's worth, when the 12-month deals were announced I scratched my head (just as a scratched my head when I heard Bruce was given just 12 months), and I'm sure many others did as well. 12 months just isn't a long time in football.

The pattern is that the club struggles to grasp the concept of making money on transfers

Yes I know we had recruited him already. It was a reference to our general recruitment.

His stock has risen this year. He has improved so the desire for him to stay has risen from both fans and you'd expect, the club too. Young players sometimes stagnate. It's a balancing act, even more so when you're skint (albeit caused by poor running if the club).

One of the shining lights this season - hopefully he'll stay, even in L1, but our track record isn't good. 

There are others like him around so I won't be the end of the world. It would be better having players who at least know the club, rather than a whole new team, but clearly circumstances will dictate this.

I dont know which one of them will go on to have the best career.

Its all sliding doors. 

But I know I'll be miffed if they both walk for a bag of marbles when both could have been tied up before now. 

Blimey. We could have doubled their money and they'd still be the lowest cost players in the squad. 

5 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Yes I know we had recruited him already. It was a reference to our general recruitment.

His stock has risen this year. He has improved so the desire for him to stay has risen from both fans and you'd expect, the club too. Young players sometimes stagnate. It's a balancing act, even more so when you're skint (albeit caused by poor running if the club).

Of course it's a gamble, but the fact he was even offered a contract extension suggests we identified that... and then to offer 12 months just makes no sense, mate. If the player does prove himself you've shot yourself in the foot. Shambles. Let's not dress it up as anything else... 

As for the gamble, any contract is a bit of a gamble, but the idea behind low-cost prospects is that you only need a few to be worthwhile for it to pay off. Unlike a senior player, who is already on a lot more money. 

Just now, bobness said:

Of course it's a gamble, but the fact he was even offered a contract extension suggests we identified that... and then to offer 12 months just makes no sense, mate. If the player does prove himself you've shot yourself in the foot. Shambles. Let's not dress it up as anything else... 

As for the gamble, any contract is a bit of a gamble, but the idea behind low-cost prospects is that you only need a few to be worthwhile for it to pay off. Unlike a senior player, who is already on a lot more money. 

A one year plus option is something that the club has utilised. It seems risk free too. Perhaps this was on the table but agent/player didn't fancy it. 

Undoubtedly shocking running of the club (exacerbated by COVID) has applied a straightjacket to a large degree. Personally I'd have preferred us committing to youth last summer. Risky short term but with hindsight were staring down the barrel of relegation anyway.

Without liking it I can see reasons why Ozaze only signed for one year whether by his choice or ours. 

25 minutes ago, vulva said:

Agree 100% with you here...I don’t get all the bed wetting about whether he will leave. For a start, money wise, Wimbledon put the most in to his development not us. This isn’t a Shaw or Hirst type situation

Ability wise I’m still on the fence. Even in yesterday’s game where people are raving about his performance we could easily have been 1-0 down when he completely left his man at the back post from a corner. Luckily their bloke spooned it over the top but Wildsmith called him out for it.

What would be a bigger concern for me is if we are going to persist with Moore’s preference of faffing about at the back....Urhoghide just isn’t cut out for this style of play. The ball is like a hot potato to him and he makes Tom Lees look like Beckenbauer. Huddersfield recognised this and targeted him, others will do the same.

I’d be happy for him to stay and see how he develops but at the moment he’s not even one of our top 5 centre backs

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

Agree 100% with you here...I don’t get all the bed wetting about whether he will leave. For a start, money wise, Wimbledon put the most in to his development not us. This isn’t a Shaw or Hirst type situation

Ability wise I’m still on the fence. Even in yesterday’s game where people are raving about his performance we could easily have been 1-0 down when he completely left his man at the back post from a corner. Luckily their bloke spooned it over the top but Wildsmith called him out for it.

What would be a bigger concern for me is if we are going to persist with Moore’s preference of faffing about at the back....Urhoghide just isn’t cut out for this style of play. The ball is like a hot potato to him and he makes Tom Lees look like Beckenbauer. Huddersfield recognised this and targeted him, others will do the same.

I’d be happy for him to stay and see how he develops but at the moment he’s not even one of our top 5 centre backs

I'm more positive about him than you but I know what you're saying.