I remember that article well, as I do that season as I had a season ticket for the south stand then. It's still poignant today, I just doubt we'll ever see such honesty from a modern day manager due to the risk of being sued.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

re: B Shaw

“ I couldn’t act disciplinary wise as I needed him for the last game he was then fined and free transferred “

This feels exactly like what is happening now . Players having to be pampered and appeased because we need them

For example when we hear Moore say things like 

“ we all know what he is capable of” ( in the positive sense) regarding Paterson

i don’t believe it and surely Moore doesn’t either

The days of being as candid as Ashurst was are sadly long gone but it would be good if Moore could clear the decks and make a similar statement then we would know our eyes haven’t been lying to us all season and that he sees what we all see

• Like 2

Sadly that article could be used for the vast majority of years i have supported Wednesday.  Mediocre players with bad attitude and no commitment.

The difference now is rather than become pub landlords they leave the game millionaires 

• Like 5

Bernard Shaw - couldn't be bothered, and ended up at non-league Worksop a couple of months after being free-transferred. 

A few of the current crop should read that.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Geedee said:

Sadly that article could be used for the vast majority of years i have supported Wednesday.  Mediocre players with bad attitude and no commitment.

The difference now is rather than become pub landlords they leave the game millionaires 

Games gone mate.

Too much potential and not enough execution.

• Like 2

Though the stats may not suggest it , Ashurst did a steady job for us.

He brought some good players to the club like Jeff Johnson, Denis Leman, Tommy Tynan, Paul Bradshaw, Richard Walden etc as well as giving Rodger Wylde his debut , and comparing what went before , he laid some decent foundations for Big Jack to build on.

• Like 4

Although DM can't come out and name the players like Ashurst did I would be saying to them " At some point clubs and managers will be phoning me in view to signing some of you and while I would want to say anything negative anyone who doesn'tfucking  put a shift in during these last ten matches can get ready "  lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Well before my time.

Did it work?

Ashursts honesty was the start of turnaround. He did a lot of good stuff but didn't have the skills to get us up. BUT he left the team and club in a position where a better manager (big jack) could come in and get us promoted.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I can remember that season very well the worst football I had ever seen, yes even worse than now, that game at Mansfield, I remember crying and that players could actually not give a f--k about my Sheffield Wednesday and the game against Southend when the fans were cheering them for just managing to stay in the what was division 3,more out of relief than the love of the players, I really hated most of that lot. In fact didn't the Shawn come from United