Clown Car

Guest Grandad

2 minutes ago, blueandwhitematt said:

I get as frustrated as anyone with how Chansiri has been reported on by the local press, but I understand the limits they have.  They have jobs to protect, and ultimately a lot of those jobs rely on contacts at clubs for crumbs of insider info, access to players and so on. 

However, there comes a time when you have to put your cards on the table.  We had it under DA when things reached boiling point; certain journalists nailed their colours to his mast when he was suing fans etc, and that's up to them as a choice, but as a reader you lose respect for them and it doesn't really recover (not that it will bother them in the slightest what I think, why should it I guess).

And we're clearly at that point again now.  So I can only applaud the Star for finally taking this issue head on.  There are only certain things they can do, in terms of their resources and in a commercial sense (we'd need journalists at places like The Athletic to take on the bigger "advisor" issues, which I suspect they might do when we're relegated and national press gets interested in the "where did it all go wrong" narrative articles).  But this piece from the Star is important as it sets the tone for so much of the wider fanbase who base a lot of their understanding about what is going off from what they read in local press.

Perfect overview 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

I think Alex Miller and the Star bosses have decided they haven't got much to lose anyway, so they might as well tell it like it is.

It's not like DC gives long insightful interviews to them is it? 

The Journo's will still have their sources , players that speak out off the record or in confidence, so it's not like the guy has cut himself out from the club.

Sometimes as a journalist I guess you have to have ask yourself why you trained to do the job, and what the principles are, and whilst he's only saying what hundreds have said on here, he's put his job and reputation on the line. 

That needs to be recognised. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Perfect overview 

I don't know either of them but I'm half tempted to drop David Conn and Daniel Taylor a line to see if the Guardian or the Athletic would be interested in a bit of digging. Any other publications do much on the off-the-pitch side of football?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It's a start and a really good start imo. 

As others say, the time for a full, in-depth review of everything that has happened will likely come at some point. 

I think once we are officially consinced to relegation. That will be the angle.

That said post Barnsley, it could be meltdown.com fanbase wise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Great article, fair play to Alex and the Star for getting stuff like this out there.

I for one am looking forward to the day we're relegated and seeing the DC press conference where he lays down fire to all and sundry, blaming everyone but himself for this mess, making convoluted points and contradicting things that he said only a few months previously.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fuming with his running of the club but I'm looking forward to it in the same way it's funny to watch a child fall over or a good rubberneck at something on the opposite carriageway of the M1. Might as well get some enjoyment out of this situation 

‘Kin ell:

bairns falling over & car crashes:-

interesting take on “fun” & “enjoyment”🤔

guess it fits in well with watching SWFC mind ?!

12 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

Well said Alex I've even ordered your book too bcz you come across a good guy with honest accounts.

Not many people like to speak the truth about Chansiri ..but you have aired it and for that you have my respect.

For once, I read and 'enjoyed' the article, but not unfortunately its conclusions.But I fully agree with article. It covers ALL aspects of the club. A long-termsupporter of Wednesday, I tend to go and watch The Owls , and will do win or lose.Unlke many supporters of FCs around the country, I could not care less who owns the club, how much profit or loss they make, whether they are a good bosses to work with or for and If he break FA rules or not, so long as he gets away wth it, or be a complete b*****d to workfor.All I want to see are 11 men (+subs) who go out on a match day, and play their hearts out. If they did that, the next step would be an improvement, but we must have the first part, and when > Now.

In my time, I worked with many different types of boss, but it still came down to enjoying your work, and lettingtheBosses sort out the rest.

And read the  article properly.Whilst much of the blame lies with DC,  all of the employees of SWFC are to blame. Not least the players!

• Love 1

15 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Well, I wasn't expecting The Star to produce something like that. I would love to have been privy to the meetings that went on before deciding to publish it. Got to admit I allowed myself a smile at the image of a clown walking across a minefield and the analogy of a clown's car is quite appropriate. It's important to keep things in context. That was no hit piece penned by someone bitter or biased. Everything was perfectly logical and reasonable and we as long suffering fans can well identify with the frustration and despair communicated. 

It will be interesting to see if Chansiri reacts to it. Hardly out of the ordinary for him to try and get out of a hole by digging harder and faster.

Makes me wonder if they know what is happening with the club....so can afford to p*ss DC off as the next contact will be with a new regime? 🤞

4 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Great article, fair play to Alex and the Star for getting stuff like this out there.

I for one am looking forward to the day we're relegated and seeing the DC press conference where he lays down fire to all and sundry, blaming everyone but himself for this mess, making convoluted points and contradicting things that he said only a few months previously.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fuming with his running of the club but I'm looking forward to it in the same way it's funny to watch a child fall over or a good rubberneck at something on the opposite carriageway of the M1. Might as well get some enjoyment out of this situation 

Next press conference.....I gave the manager the players he asked for...ok DC, which of the 4 does that relate to??

15 minutes ago, ChrisHolt said:

Hi,

Just popping in from my 'mansion in Millhouses' to say that this is a very fair assessment.

We do have our limitations by my own admission; a recent restructure means we have slightly less in terms of personnel available to us but I like to think the level of coverage hasn't dipped, certainly not noticeably. It's difficult to take the stance that we have done this week because maintaining a good working relationship with the club is quite obviously hugely important. It can also be difficult to gauge the mood of fans - social media and forums like this will of course offer an insight but it's hard, and indeed wrong, to totally rely on that. 

I am, however, encouraged by the response, even the 'what took you so long' ones because I can remember when I was covering Wednesday full time I took a fair amount of hammering when I wrote anything negative, from a sizable number of fans and from the club. That was on ticket prices, late kits, the price of said kits etc etc. When that many fans tell you we're making a big deal out of something or get defensive about it and there's an acceptance that that's just the way it is, then it doesn't really become news anymore.

It's probably fair that we could have done more but that's not to say we won't. I should also point out to those who continually say we aren't asking the right questions of the chairman when given the chance - we do ask the questions, getting the answer we want is more difficult because I can't tell you how hard it is to do that when you're given a specific timeframe on zoom and the subject flat-out doesn't want to tell you what you want to hear. Browbeating the chairman, or anyone else for that matter, on a video call for 10 minutes just isn't going to work and I wouldn't want our reporters to be anything other than respectful, regardless of what's going on.
We will continue to provide honest, insightful reporting. We will continue to attempt to offer more in-depth stuff as the time and resources allow. We will continue to ask to speak with the chairman directly and on the record. We will keep trying to find out what the strategy is for the future and what plans are in place to ensure that the catalogue of eff-ups at the very least becomes merely a pamphlet. And we will do all of this while providing the day-to-day coverage which has, more often than not, recently contained two matches a week and with the odd random announcement thrown into the mix.

If anyone ever wants to get in touch with me about our coverage, what you want more (or less) of, or if there's something you think we should be focusing on, please email me.

I'm off now to sit in my massive garden, in my massive house and get my butler to bring me some lunch.

Thanks for coming on here Chris. The coverage from The Star has improved massively over the past couple of years and I think you all do a terrific job of reporting on Wednesday. Particularly considering the club are hardly very open or transparent on a number of key issues. 

I admire the courage for writing that article. While many of us on Owlstalk and Twitter are very aware of what’s happened and what is happening under the current ownership. There will be thousands of Wednesdayites and non-Wednesdayites who aren’t. People need to see and read what’s gone down. It’s a catalogue of recurring failures which I’m not sure many other clubs in recent years have gone through. 

When you actually list it all, like in the article, it’s incredible levels of incompetence and gambling with the history and future of one of England’s most proudest football clubs. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Maybe it doesn't need an investigative  journalist, but someone to investigate what is the real story here?

I get the feeling some people really don't want to go there for what ever reason 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

For once, I read and 'enjoyed' the article, but not unfortunately its conclusions.But I fully agree with article. It covers ALL aspects of the club. A long-termsupporter of Wednesday, I tend to go and watch The Owls , and will do win or lose.Unlke many supporters of FCs around the country, I could not care less who owns the club, how much profit or loss they make, whether they are a good bosses to work with or for and If he break FA rules or not, so long as he gets away wth it, or be a complete b*****d to workfor.All I want to see are 11 men (+subs) who go out on a match day, and play their hearts out. If they did that, the next step would be an improvement, but we must have the first part, and when > Now.

In my time, I worked with many different types of boss, but it still came down to enjoying your work, and lettingtheBosses sort out the rest.

And read the  article properly.Whilst much of the blame lies with DC,  all of the employees of SWFC are to blame. Not least the players!

I still would love to go for a drink with you.

I love how you love Wednesday and I love your stories.

• Like 1