Clown Car

Guest Grandad

Good article and so depressing to see such a litany of mistakes laid out, a lot of which we all saw coming well before they happened.  No one expects it to be perfect, its football and this is Sheffield Wednesday - we’ve got the battle scars to show.  The fans can deal with the odd screw up, especially if it happens for a genuine reason, but there are so many and so few lessons learnt. Chansiri gambled in the early years (which many were happy with and encouraging at the time), but in a totally unsustainable way that is coming back to bite us left, right and centre.

For all his many faults, the guy has put a lot of money in and is still funding the club at a huge loss.  I don’t want him involved on a day to day basis, but he deserves some respect for keeping us going, as the article says.

I think he’s totally delusional about the value of the club, but I’m concerned about the type of people who might come next, especially if he is hounded out. Who in their right mind would take us on with huge losses to fund each year and a massive rebuilding job to do.  Yes, we have huge potential if it goes right, but a lot of money and effort (and luck) is required.  Maybe someone is willing to take the bet, but can’t see someone wanting to do it right being able to come to any agreement with Chansiri.  I think it more likely we’d end up in another complicated situation, and quite possibly even worse than now.

My preferred outcome would for him to stay, finally admit his advisor(s) are part of the issue, and bring  in a team to manage the club properly for him and for him to manage them as an owner.  I have no confidence this will happen, but don’t think it ends well for the fans or the owner if we are at loggerheads.  I wish him all the success in the world, because Wednesday would be the beneficiary and then he can sell the clown car and sail off into the sunset.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Therealrealist
32 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I'd argue local journos should be going a lot further where Chancer and Paxo are concerned. 

Deffo..has stuffing ever done an interview with anybody?

1 minute ago, AsioOtus said:

For all his many faults, the guy has put a lot of money in and is still funding the club at a huge loss.  I don’t want him involved on a day to day basis, but he deserves some respect for keeping us going, as the article says.

I understand the sentiment but its like praising a kidnapper for not killing you.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

DC probly dosnt even know what the sheffield star is...this article wont even register on his richter scale

But hes always looking at social media, right... so he can pass on our opinions to major sponsors. 

Guest Therealrealist
31 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

You need to get someone that Sky has heard of, Chris Waddle for instance, in support to bring it to a bigger audience. But I doubt that Sky would be too bothered anyhow.

Tbh why should sky be bothered? We are a badly run club run by a foreign chairman..not really a major issue...its happened loads over the years

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why on earth would he?
He's just an advisor - Chansiri can stop listening to him if he wants to
Why would an advisor do an interview with someone???

lol

You seriously buy that "advisor" rubbish? 

Guest Therealrealist
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why on earth would he?
He's just an advisor - Chansiri can stop listening to him if he wants to
Why would an advisor do an interview with someone???

lol

Because theres no way he is'just an advisor'..but unless he does a interview we will never know his role at the club..

1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

Because theres no way he is'just an advisor'..but unless he does a interview we will never know his role at the club..

So you think that if he's more than just an advisor he would just spout that in an interview?

lol

Come on now...

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Give it a rest mate.

We can all speculate as to what he is, but none of us actually know.

I don't believe Chansiri's line about the role Paixao plays, and these are some (limited) concerning hints out there of why we're in such a gigantic mess. But the idea that The Star's sports writers would have the time, desire or facility to uncover it all is rather fanciful. Unfortunately, it seems that football in the modern age is drowning in intrigue and questionable motives and a lot of people kind of accept that as just part of the game.

• Like 2

I get as frustrated as anyone with how Chansiri has been reported on by the local press, but I understand the limits they have.  They have jobs to protect, and ultimately a lot of those jobs rely on contacts at clubs for crumbs of insider info, access to players and so on. 

However, there comes a time when you have to put your cards on the table.  We had it under DA when things reached boiling point; certain journalists nailed their colours to his mast when he was suing fans etc, and that's up to them as a choice, but as a reader you lose respect for them and it doesn't really recover (not that it will bother them in the slightest what I think, why should it I guess).

And we're clearly at that point again now.  So I can only applaud the Star for finally taking this issue head on.  There are only certain things they can do, in terms of their resources and in a commercial sense (we'd need journalists at places like The Athletic to take on the bigger "advisor" issues, which I suspect they might do when we're relegated and national press gets interested in the "where did it all go wrong" narrative articles).  But this piece from the Star is important as it sets the tone for so much of the wider fanbase who base a lot of their understanding about what is going off from what they read in local press.

• Like 2
  • Love 1