dingles

Guest The Claw

1 minute ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Good luck to you Dingle, hope you go up. It would be a tremendous achievement. 

Looking at the way we’re being run, if we’re not promoted this season it’ll not be long. 

Every time we sell a player we reinvest in better ones, in the last 2 summer transfer windows we’ve sold our best players, and replaced, them with two better players, the players we sold would struggle to get in our side now, same with head coaches we sell one and upgrade on them. If that continues we’ll go up at some point. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DlNGLE said:

Looking at the way we’re being run, if we’re not promoted this season it’ll not be long. 

Every time we sell a player we reinvest in better ones, in the last 2 summer transfer windows we’ve sold our best players, and replaced, them with two better players, the players we sold would struggle to get in our side now, same with head coaches we sell one and upgrade on them. If that continues we’ll go up at some point. 

Bet you dont

Barnsley will give us a pasting on Saturday, I’m afraid.

Their pace, energy and movement off the ball will just be too much for us.

Hopefully, we don’t try and play out from the back - this will just be playing into their hands.

I’d settle for a narrow defeat - which at least means that our pride remains largely intact

• Haha 1

Funnily enough I've never minded Barnsley as a club, they will obviously turn a very very poor Wednesday side over and I just hope its not embarrassing.

As for them ...one of the success stories of the season ...Chansiri wasting all that money then you look at Barnsley.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DlNGLE said:

Every time we sell a player we reinvest in better ones

I just laughed out loud at this. What a ridiculously simply concept. Wonder if anyone at Wednesday has realised this might be a good idea on how to run a club..

I hope Barnsley go up. I’m actually quite fond of them despite how much they hate us. Best of luck to them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kew Owl said:

Barnsley will give us a pasting on Saturday, I’m afraid.

Their pace, energy and movement off the ball will just be too much for us.

Hopefully, we don’t try and play out from the back - this will just be playing into their hands.

I’d settle for a narrow defeat - which at least means that our pride remains largely intact

Their players stay fit as well, they dont suffer many long term injuries, no Abdis on a fortune milking the pot dry.A sign of how thorough they are in their recruitment.

Id love to see them get promoted this season, it would be well deserved

44 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I just laughed out loud at this. What a ridiculously simply concept. Wonder if anyone at Wednesday has realised this might be a good idea on how to run a club..

I hope Barnsley go up. I’m actually quite fond of them despite how much they hate us. Best of luck to them.

It's the small things mate..... lolI tell you something else, they always know exactly who is coming in next after a player sale, another groundbreaking concept that's beyond us.

2 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

There have been a few comments along these lines on this thread - so gone back through Barnsley's last 30-odd games, they have lost once to a team that doesn't play out from the back:

Cardiff 3 - Barnsley 0

All the other times they have lost have been to teams that play out from the back:

Barnsley 0 - Brentford 1

Blackburn 2 - Barnsley 1

Barnsley 0 - Bournemouth 4

Swansea 2 - Barnsley 0

Norwich 1 - Barnsley 0

Barnsley 0 - Swansea 2

Watford 1 - Barnsley 0

Okay, these teams have better players than us (how many teams in the league don't?), but surely it is worth a try. People say we haven't got the players to play out from the back, although worth noting xG stats said we had better chances in 3 of the 4 games since we've started trying (the other we had Borner sent off after 30 mins). The previous 32 games going long we had the better chances in only 10 out of 32 games. So I'd argue we don't have the players to go long.

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

There have been a few comments along these lines on this thread - so gone back through Barnsley's last 30-odd games, they have lost once to a team that doesn't play out from the back:

Cardiff 3 - Barnsley 0

All the other times they have lost have been to teams that play out from the back:

Barnsley 0 - Brentford 1

Blackburn 2 - Barnsley 1

Barnsley 0 - Bournemouth 4

Swansea 2 - Barnsley 0

Norwich 1 - Barnsley 0

Barnsley 0 - Swansea 2

Watford 1 - Barnsley 0

Okay, these teams have better players than us (how many teams in the league don't?), but surely it is worth a try. People say we haven't got the players to play out from the back, although worth noting xG stats said we had better chances in 3 of the 4 games since we've started trying (the other we had Borner sent off after 30 mins). The previous 32 games going long we had the better chances in only 10 out of 32 games. So I'd argue we don't have the players to go long.

It's an interesting observation. As you say they are pretty much all top teams, especially when compared to us. As a tactical approach playing out does look like the way to go, if you have the players to do it. I just don't think we have. And, our issues are compounded somewhat by your other observation which is also spot on, we don't have the players to go long either.......Conclusion, the Frankenstein squad isn't suitable to any style of play and that unfortunately is borne out in our results.

Edited by Morepork

Playing out from the back against us was more viable in the first half of the season. It took a while for VI to get his philisophy going in our squad, and even in a lot of those defeats we didn't look a bad side - just not the finished product. 

The best way to beat us is to stretch our 3 man defence. So many teams try to lump it over the top for a central striker to beat our high line. It doesn't work because our goalkeeper is more than happy to head/boot it out of play from practically inside your own half. Bournemouth actually got their attack right against us; they lofted through balls into the wide channels, which broke our offside trap and provided acres of attacking space, without giving our keeper the opportunity to mop up. He could have made 2 or 3 howlers that game and we were a bit fortunate, especially in the first half. I'm surprised not many players have tried to pull a Beckham vs Wimbledon yet. Only a couple have tried and so far failed. 

We've struggled a lot more against hoofball teams than we have pretty passing teams recently. We don't concede too many to hoofball, but it stops us scoring as well so it's the best strategy if you're playing for a point or want to nick a 1-0. We may concede 1 or 2 to 'prettier' tactics, but we'll almost always score one more. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zarostulus said:

Playing out from the back against us was more viable in the first half of the season. It took a while for VI to get his philisophy going in our squad, and even in a lot of those defeats we didn't look a bad side - just not the finished product. 

The best way to beat us is to stretch our 3 man defence. So many teams try to lump it over the top for a central striker to beat our high line. It doesn't work because our goalkeeper is more than happy to head/boot it out of play from practically inside your own half. Bournemouth actually got their attack right against us; they lofted through balls into the wide channels, which broke our offside trap and provided acres of attacking space, without giving our keeper the opportunity to mop up. He could have made 2 or 3 howlers that game and we were a bit fortunate, especially in the first half. I'm surprised not many players have tried to pull a Beckham vs Wimbledon yet. Only a couple have tried and so far failed. 

We've struggled a lot more against hoofball teams than we have pretty passing teams recently. We don't concede too many to hoofball, but it stops us scoring as well so it's the best strategy if you're playing for a point or want to nick a 1-0. We may concede 1 or 2 to 'prettier' tactics, but we'll almost always score one more. 

Admin, please forward this to Moore.

Regards

Yes, good luck to Barnsley.

Shame for  their fans that they can't be watching it in the stands but I'm sure it'll all be worth it if they can watch Harry Kane et al next season.

Just hope against hope that Chansiri is forcing  Paxo to study the strategy that got Barnsley into this position.

Or are those two actually co-owners these days?

Whatever, I'll be hoping they go up. After they've played us, obviously!

13 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Nailed on they will school us on Saturday. . They are a well run club with the right recruitment  policy and a fantastic manager. Everything we arnt. 

So well run they needed Wigan to have a points deduction to save them from relegation...again 

They have found a good manager