Conor Grant

1 minute ago, malek said:

Listen now, I watched Grant play for U-18's, U-23's and Rochdale, and I'm convinienced that we made mistake by letting top talent leave on cheap and to club that couldn't afford to pay decent fee. 

I might be wrong, but it is how I feel and I'm posting it on site where it should be perfectly fine to post it at. 

I'm talking about his potential and how quickly he proved he is good enough to start games at that level you retort that he is reason why they are not doing well... 

I'm not sure we are looking at situation from the same angle. 

I am as free to respond as I feel fit as you are to post it. All about opinions, would you rather just ignore the stats and agree with you? You seem to value every player that plays for our academy

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So the thread started to state that he might be a bigger loss than Shaw having played 9 games in which they have slumped to second bottom of the 3rd division is a bit premature then?

Kieran Lee was Oldham's player of the season before he moved to us and was a class apart for them. 

Well it would be if it was stated.

But it wasn't.  One poster suggested he might end up being a bigger loss. 

And he might. Or might not.

Lee was indeed player of the year at Oldham. As a full back. 

Then came here and didn't really get a sniff

I don't recall many saying when signed him that he would be an exceptional central midfield player. 

Infact I don't think anyone thought of it until until Gray started muttering in Jones's ear.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Well it would be if it was stated.

But it wasn't.  One poster suggested he might end up being a bigger loss. 

And he might. Or might not.

Lee was indeed player of the year at Oldham. As a full back. 

Then came here and didn't really get a sniff

I don't recall many saying when signed him that he would be an exceptional central midfield player. 

Infact I don't think anyone thought of it until until Gray started muttering in Jones's ear.

Exactly, so when I put the opinion across of why he might not turn out to be a big loss why is this jumped on? It is based on facts, he is likely to be a 4th division player next season. 

In terms of Lee, how showed his ability over a few seasons at that level, yes he changed positions later on his career but he had shown his worth as a player. 

Sorry for having an alternative opinion, lets all agree this is another disastrous decision by the club based on nothing more than supposition.   

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I am as free to respond as I feel fit as you are to post it. All about opinions, would you rather just ignore the stats and agree with you? You seem to value every player that plays for our academy

I don't, but I want them all to do well.

I respect your opinion (or anyone's opinion), but you seem to want to blame Grant for Rochdale's poor for and it simply isn't true.

they lose as they are not very good and have few important players out injured like Jimmy Ryan and Matthew Lund. Oliver Rathbone returned in their last game and scored.

They were playing U-18's football and winning their league when I was writing on here that Liam Shaw and Conor Grant are very talented players we should strive to develop. Somehow understand that we acted slowly and lost Shaw to Celtic, but why we let Grant go for peanuts is beyond me.

However, I wont post again in this topic.

Regardless of Rochdale and there current form. He's exactly the type of player we should have been using right now as apposed to the ones grifting till the end of the season.

Bang them in games, let's see if they are capable.

Edited by Maddogbob

1 minute ago, malek said:

I don't, but I want them all to do well.

I respect your opinion (or anyone's opinion), but you seem to want to blame Grant for Rochdale's poor for and it simply isn't true.

they lose as they are not very good and have few important players out injured like Jimmy Ryan and Matthew Lund. Oliver Rathbone returned in their last game and scored.

They were playing U-18's football and winning their league when I was writing on here that Liam Shaw and Conor Grant are very talented players we should strive to develop. Somehow understand that we acted slowly and lost Shaw to Celtic, but why we let Grant go for peanuts is beyond me.

However, I wont post again in this topic.

Don't understand why you wont post in this topic again, we are having a debate, just because someone disagrees with you, you don't need to stop posting.

Of course Rochdale's down turn in form isn't solely down to Grant but he is in the side as a creative midfielder and they have failed to score in 7 of the 9 games he has played, his is contributing to their poor form as it wasn't that bad before.

Thompson, who worked with him in the academy, has said the deal was good for both clubs so why you think we have got a rough deal is not based on anything other than him signing for Rochdale, which I agree means that the fee will have been small. However, maybe we have got a buyback option at a decent price, maybe we have got a very good sell-on clause, or do you think Thompson was making it up?

If he is so highly regarded then why didn't another club beat Rochdale to this move, after all, the fee would have been peanuts so low risk? 

Guest hirstysfags
41 minutes ago, Wing Back said:

Ted Rodgers in a dress!

I haven't got time to grow a beard. Hang on, that's not a beard!!

2 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Regardless of Rochdale and there current form. He's exactly the type of player we should have been using right now as apposed to the ones grifting till the end of the season.

Bang them in games, let's see if they are capable.

Hunt was ahead of him for us in the pecking order for some time and we still don't give him a run out, same with Dele Bashiru. I agree that he might as well play now though, we aren't staying up, there's no beneift in playing Shaw or Brown as they wont be here next season and we need to try something else in midfield. 

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Hunt was ahead of him for us in the pecking order for some time and we still don't give him a run out, same with Dele Bashiru. I agree that he might as well play now though, we aren't staying up, there's no beneift in playing Shaw or Brown as they wont be here next season and we need to try something else in midfield. 

Totally agree, hunt seems to have gone off a cliff and who knows if he will make it. Perhaps that why he's not around the squad.

Personally I'd like to see more of the young left back Galvin.

And agree little point using Brown now, that ships sailed long ago.

I see little point fighting relegation now, it's more about preparing not to fail next season.

Edited by Maddogbob

2 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Totally agree, hunt seems to have gone off a cliff and who knows if he will make it. Perhaps that why he's not around the squad.

Personally I'd like to see more of the young left back Galvin.

Hunt has been back on the bench recently but never look like getting on, even though we can use 5 subs and are hardly dominating midfield.

Up to now I'd have said keep playing our strongest team while ever we have a chance, which included Shaw when he was on form, but now that ship of staying up has sailed we might as well look at the other options we have and give them a run out rather than players who definitely aren't staying, can they seriously do any worse? Last night ended a run of 7 defeats but was far worse than the defeat to Norwich, no intensity at all.  

Agree about Galvin, he looked decent in the cup, would prefer us to play 4 at the back and nobody else has looked any good at full back or wing back on either side of the pitch for a long time. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Don't understand why you wont post in this topic again, we are having a debate, just because someone disagrees with you, you don't need to stop posting.

Of course Rochdale's down turn in form isn't solely down to Grant but he is in the side as a creative midfielder and they have failed to score in 7 of the 9 games he has played, his is contributing to their poor form as it wasn't that bad before.

Thompson, who worked with him in the academy, has said the deal was good for both clubs so why you think we have got a rough deal is not based on anything other than him signing for Rochdale, which I agree means that the fee will have been small. However, maybe we have got a buyback option at a decent price, maybe we have got a very good sell-on clause, or do you think Thompson was making it up?

If he is so highly regarded then why didn't another club beat Rochdale to this move, after all, the fee would have been peanuts so low risk? 

Really nice post, cheers.

You are right, guess there is no need to stop posting. I'm just a bit frustrated thinking that I'm failing to put my point across. You are writing that he contributed to Rochdale's poor run of form, I think it is great that he constantly gets picked for them. After all it is a club struggling for League One survival and he is a player with 9 minutes of experience at senior level.

Indeed, Thompson said we will watch how he develops and I hope there might be a buy back price arranged. Apparently, we agreed to send him to go there on loan, but Barry-Murphy preferred to take him on permanent deal and we changed our mind and agreed.

Guess that clubs higher up the food chain didn't care too much for 19 years old without first team experience, or couldn't offer him first team football he seemed to be after. But who can say, we can only guess.

2 minutes ago, malek said:

Really nice post, cheers.

You are right, guess there is no need to stop posting. I'm just a bit frustrated thinking that I'm failing to put my point across. You are writing that he contributed to Rochdale's poor run of form, I think it is great that he constantly gets picked for them. After all it is a club struggling for League One survival and he is a player with 9 minutes of experience at senior level.

Indeed, Thompson said we will watch how he develops and I hope there might be a buy back price arranged. Apparently, we agreed to send him to go there on loan, but Barry-Murphy preferred to take him on permanent deal and we changed our mind and agreed.

Guess that clubs higher up the food chain didn't care too much for 19 years old without first team experience, or couldn't offer him first team football he seemed to be after. But who can say, we can only guess.

Fair enough, it is good from his point of view that he is getting a good run in their first team, regardless of their league position, maybe if they do go down he will continue to develop in a team that will possibly fair much better in terms of results at a lower level and of course if they manage to stay up he will have contributed to that and will likely face us next season. 

I just don't see it as a major loss as things stand and if he does come good and start to stand out then hopefully as Thompson said we will still be able to benefit from it. Not sure about any clubs further up the food chain not being interest though. If he was that good then a few clubs higher up than Rochdale would have been sniffing around, snapped him up for the peanuts Rochdale paid and loaned him out to develop him. 

I respect you will have more knowledge about these lads having watched them more. What do you think about Hunt? Why has he been unable to get a game in a midfield offering so little? Do you think he could offer more than say Brown, Pelupessy or FDB? Surely no harm in giving him a chance no that we are doomed to our fate. 

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair enough, it is good from his point of view that he is getting a good run in their first team, regardless of their league position, maybe if they do go down he will continue to develop in a team that will possibly fair much better in terms of results at a lower level and of course if they manage to stay up he will have contributed to that and will likely face us next season. 

I just don't see it as a major loss as things stand and if he does come good and start to stand out then hopefully as Thompson said we will still be able to benefit from it. Not sure about any clubs further up the food chain not being interest though. If he was that good then a few clubs higher up than Rochdale would have been sniffing around, snapped him up for the peanuts Rochdale paid and loaned him out to develop him. 

I respect you will have more knowledge about these lads having watched them more. What do you think about Hunt? Why has he been unable to get a game in a midfield offering so little? Do you think he could offer more than say Brown, Pelupessy or FDB? Surely no harm in giving him a chance no that we are doomed to our fate. 

Hunt is a good passer of the ball and got good touch, but i don't see him as a future Championship player, although he could carve footballing career for himself. I would go as far to say how I rate Waldock more than Hunt. I also think that we had our pants pulled down regarding FDB.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, malek said:

Hunt is a good passer of the ball and got good touch, but i don't see him as a future Championship player, although he could carve footballing career for himself. I would go as far to say how I rate Waldock more than Hunt. I also think that we had our pants pulled down regarding FDB.

I've been disappointed with FDB, wasn't expecting big things as it was but he hasn't shown much at all. How old is Waldock? Would you be tempted to give him a run out in the final few games? 

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I've been disappointed with FDB, wasn't expecting big things as it was but he hasn't shown much at all. How old is Waldock? Would you be tempted to give him a run out in the final few games? 

I believe he is 20 years old. I like about him that he is good on the ball but does "dirty bit" as well. I think he did quite well in his only start at first team level against Fulham, but would start him this season only if there is nothing left to play for. 

Still, out of our all underage players he would be my priority for a contract renewal. Farmer would be next in line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malek said:

I don’t think we paid a fee for FDB. But if he was to be sold we would pay.

5 hours ago, malek said:

Watched him play for them 3 times. He looks as a real deal and shows flashes of class, but he is still adapting to pace of first team football and it shows. He is nearly there, though. 

Rochdale doesn't play badly, but they are conceding from their mistakes and half chances, while missing some clear cut chances at the other end. 

Yeah,my mate Dave said he really struggled to adapt at first,but is looking more assured with every game now.

Another gift from Chansiri, hed have been an asset to us in league one. Beggers belief