Drop Shaw now!

6 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

the compensation may just about cover the cost of his kit over the last ten plus years but no money for all the training and coaching he has received from SWFC.

As frustrating as that situation is, how is it Shaw’s fault that:

- SWFC allowed a talented, promising youth player to run his contract down.

- SWFC failed to anticipate that Shaw would have other potential suitors.

- Shaw feels that Celtic are a better club to be at than SWFC for a young player on the up.

Your anger is directed at the wrong man.

If we were to bin Shaw off on the basis that Shaw won’t be here next season, then you may as well just play Bannan and the rest of the under-23s against Barnsley on Saturday.

We have lots of players out of contract this summer.

Somewhere between 10-20 of our first team squad will be leaving the club this summer unless there is an unexpected turn of events.

Having said all of that, we are almost certain to be relegated, regardless of whom takes to the field IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Amazing!

Gets sent off first time (stupid challenge, according to the experts on here)..he ain't ready..should not be in the squad..needs to go out on loan to Rochdale blah blah blah.

Celtic snap him up...foookin stupid not giving him a contract on 15k per week..he will play for England and win the cham league in a yr or 2 don't you know...

🤣

• Haha 1

Guest hirstysfags
5 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Although I don’t agree with the OP’s reasons for doing so, there is literally no point in considering Shaw for selection for the rest of the season. 

We are down, and it’s time for Moore and his team to start to formulate a plan for next season. 

Shaw has opted not to be a part of that (can’t say I blame him), so let him concentrate on getting things in place for his move north of the border. 

And the same notion goes for those players Moore already knows won’t be here next season. 

But you can lump the rest in the same boat as many won't be here.

ETA....just read your last line!

Edited by hirstysfags
I'm a fool

It is only the fact that Celtic are interested in him because he comes almost free and they can afford to take a punt on him hoping that he may develop into a proper player, otherwise he would be nowhere near a move to them or anyone else in the premiership for that matter.

He needs to look at himself and consider what has happened to the last great hopes we had -George Hirst or that other fellow that left and went to Scottish club (Clare I think was his name). Neither got much first team football after a brief spell where they were found to be not ready for the first team. Thus spending most of their time on the bench. Both their careers went downhill fast. -

Shaw would have almost a guaranteed spot for us in the 1st division and would have a fair chance of developing some match play nouce, something that he is clearly lacking and valuable game time at a time when he is developing both physically and mentally.

I get that he will get a higher pay day in the short term but in the long term I see him following the route that Clare is currently on.

• Like 2

liam shaw even 6 months ago was a nobody ,the club cant possibly offer him then thousands a week , as soon as he made a handful of games he was off , 2 fingers upto weds ,its laughable that he came out with boyhood club quote ,he is in football for the money fair enough but just say it. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, s.kirkbyowl said:

It is only the fact that Celtic are interested in him because he comes almost free and they can afford to take a punt on him hoping that he may develop into a proper player, otherwise he would be nowhere near a move to them or anyone else in the premiership for that matter.

He needs to look at himself and consider what has happened to the last great hopes we had -George Hirst or that other fellow that left and went to Scottish club (Clare I think was his name). Neither got much first team football after a brief spell where they were found to be not ready for the first team. Thus spending most of their time on the bench. Both their careers went downhill fast. -

Shaw would have almost a guaranteed spot for us in the 1st division and would have a fair chance of developing some match play nouce, something that he is clearly lacking and valuable game time at a time when he is developing both physically and mentally.

I get that he will get a higher pay day in the short term but in the long term I see him following the route that Clare is currently on.

The route Sean Clare is on?

You mean a couple of seasons of decently increased pay before ending up in League One?

If Shaw stayed here he could cut out the first stage entirely...

• Like 1

Football has been responsible for thousands of young players, like Shaw, becoming unemployed at the end of their contracts, despite half assurances of being kept on. Then  in the summer, they are left scrambling for a club. Wednesday were caught sleeping so I don't blame him one bit for finding work elsewhere.

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
8 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Do you even know if we offered him a contract extension, and if so, how it compares with the one Celtic agreed with him?

Without such information, I don't see how anyone can arrive at the conclusion that either Shaw or his new club have not acted entirely reasonably.

I wer told there wer a 5k a week difference...

Guest whowantstoberich
7 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

So just a quarter million difference over the year then?

:ohmy:

Why did he not stay here for the glory of finishing mid-table in League One?

Pride, and the fact he could get a much bigger contract with us or another English club once he shown how good he was

8 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

So just a quarter million difference over the year then?

:ohmy:

Why did he not stay here for the glory of finishing mid-table in League One?

Mid table in L1? Bit optimistic 

15 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Again, I can see what you're saying, and in terms of sussing out how to best lineup and include the likes of Windass, Paterson etc. I can't see an issue. Playing the system Moore wants to use next year and giving him chance to work out which players suit which roles and which need replacing makes perfect sense.

The potential problem comes with throwing youngsters in for their first taste of first-team football in a team which is falling apart at the seams and rocketing towards League One. The hit their confidence could take has the potential to be quite damaging in the long-run.

And then there's the issue that none of Penney, Hunt or Urhoghide are contracted to us next season as things stand. Behind the scenes, they may well already have moves lined up, and so may need grouping with the likes of Reach, Lees et al in terms of having no relevance to what we do next season.

Of course, if Moore is privy to information that any of Penney, Hunt or Urhoghide have little intention of been here next season, they absolutely should be placed in the same group as the more senior players.

But, I think they are far more likely to commit to next season, than the others.

In terms of "throwing youngsters in for their first taste of first team football", that doesn't really apply to those three players mentioned. Urhoghide has been in and around in the first team, and played a decent amount of games. Penney has been in the first team picture for a couple of seasons now, which was sandwiched between a fantastic experience in a pressure cauldron environment in Hamburg with St Pauli. And Hunt has featured in a number of games, including the cup tie against Man City. These aren't green toddlers...these are young players with potential who have a decent amount, if limited or jolted amount of experience in different circumstances.

But the point remains, if a failure to pick up three points occurs on Saturday, there is ZERO point in playing any of those senior players who'll be off for pastures new in the summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, frastheowl said:

Of course, if Moore is privy to information that any of Penney, Hunt or Urhoghide have little intention of been here next season, they absolutely should be placed in the same group as the more senior players.

But, I think they are far more likely to commit to next season, than the others.

In terms of "throwing youngsters in for their first taste of first team football", that doesn't really apply to those three players mentioned. Urhoghide has been in and around in the first team, and played a decent amount of games. Penney has been in the first team picture for a couple of seasons now, which was sandwiched between a fantastic experience in a pressure cauldron environment in Hamburg with St Pauli. And Hunt has featured in a number of games, including the cup tie against Man City. These aren't green toddlers...these are young players with potential who have a decent amount, if limited or jolted amount of experience in different circumstances.

But the point remains, if a failure to pick up three points occurs on Saturday, there is ZERO point in playing any of those senior players who'll be off for pastures new in the summer.

I'm not suggesting chucking the likes of Galvin, Brennan, Waldock etc. in for a sink or swim scenario. Maybe, one or two of them could get some game time at some point, but I agree it'd be unfair to throw the likes of those into this scenario.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

A youngster on a few hundred quid a week getting hammered by our fan base while Mr Barry Backwards on tens of tens of thousands a week who contributes sweet FA gets off scott free.

Oh yeah. He’s the latest target for the loons

lol