Relegation is a positive

46 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

I've thought we have been relegated for the last 4-5 games, and I am looking forward to June, when we can start to replace the players who have failed consistently for the last 6 seasons and, hopefully, bring in players with the right character and fitness to build a TEAM of players worthy of the name and badge.

I don’t trust Chansiri to allow Moore to bring in the players he wants, players that will battle for this club. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

If dropping down a division allows the club to completely rethink and cement its vision around CULTURE, STRATEGY, PHILOSOPHY going forward - just like Brentford, Bournemouth, Southampton have all done then long term we are going to become a successful club again. I do not believe you can properly commit to make BIG changes to those 3 key areas whilst also trying to cling onto Championship football. 

Agreed, but I would also add that psychologically we are getting a kicking every game at the moment. Confidence is brittle, losing and throwing away leads has become a habit, and I can't see us breaking out of it if we're continually struggling at the wrong end of The Championship. I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen,  but if we can start to get a few decent results against (on paper at least) weaker opposition it could help introduce a more positive mentality.

Guest Hornsby
1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

I thought you were lumping on another relegation lol

Thats why happy mid table.

More chance of a refund.

25 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

*Gulps*

All valid points and I HATE the fact we are going down of course i'd rather us stay in the Championship. But the reality is what's the point in being here if we are just going to be a bottom feeding, relegation fighting team that plays terrible football every season? I don't want that. 

The long term goal is to reach the PL AND STAY THERE. We are never going to do that until we start getting the smaller stuff right, things like developing players, financeable stable, good footballing philosophy, progressive manager, efficient transfer windows, establish a legitimate base to improve our academy/development squad etc...We are STILL getting all of that wrong and the only reason we succeeded for the first 2 seasons was because Chansiri piled so much money into the club it was very difficult to not be a good team, atleast in the beginning. 

If dropping down a division allows the club to completely rethink and cement its vision around CULTURE, STRATEGY, PHILOSOPHY going forward - just like Brentford, Bournemouth, Southampton have all done then long term we are going to become a successful club again. I do not believe you can properly commit to make BIG changes to those 3 key areas whilst also trying to cling onto Championship football. 

Developing a culture, strategy and philosophy can all be done in the Championship. The 3 clubs you listed didn’t start those things in League One then stop once they got promoted to this division. I’d argue the majority and best of Brentford’s development has occurred during their time in this league. 

Nobody gets relegated on purpose so it’s easier for them to establish those things. Most of the areas you mentioned - recruitment, infrastructure, progressive appointments - are specifically and acutely more difficult outside of the top 2 divisions due to financial realities. 

The one area we will probably see expand will be the involvement of youth players, but this might be through having no choice. Perhaps we can ruin some more young kids careers before they start as we place promotion/survival fight demands on their shoulders while filling in for the clubs general failings.

For a club like Wednesday, relegation is a condemnation, not an opportunity. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Developing a culture, strategy and philosophy can all be done in the Championship. The 3 clubs you listed didn’t start those things in League One then stop once they got promoted to this division. I’d argue the majority and best of Brentford’s development has occurred during their time in this league. 

Nobody gets relegated on purpose so it’s easier for them to establish those things. Most of the areas you mentioned - recruitment, infrastructure, progressive appointments - are specifically and acutely more difficult outside of the top 2 divisions due to financial realities. 

The one area we will probably see expand will be the involvement of youth players, but this might be through having no choice. Perhaps we can ruin some more young kids careers before they start as we place promotion/survival fight demands on their shoulders while filling in for the clubs general failings.

For a club like Wednesday, relegation is a condemnation, not an opportunity. 

That's a great bit about ' Relegation is a Condemnation ' That is a damning statement on how DC and his advisors have run this club.

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

And pray tell where you are going to get an individual to pay upward of £40 / £50m for the club ?

Cracking idea seeing off the guy who has funded us to a greater extent than any other individual in our history, albeit naively and stubbornly on many occasion.

Cracking idea Grandad if you want to be watching FC Wednesday in the Northern Counties Prem.

Id rather that than anymore of this idiots Wednesday

probably bigger crowds too when hes finished with us. at least youll have no trouble fiding a seat to clap along

13 hours ago, victorturner said:

Agree. Could be oblivion . 

I thought that, I was convinced, in 1975 that we would never come back, and that we were doomed to be a bit part club feeding other clubs in the old 1st division, I cried my self to sleep for a week, my marriage suffered, again for a week, but you know what, we came back

5 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

I thought that, I was convinced, in 1975 that we would never come back, and that we were doomed to be a bit part club feeding other clubs in the old 1st division, I cried my self to sleep for a week, my marriage suffered, again for a week, but you know what, we came back

The difference was that back in 1975 the fans actually cared and we had a Board that was determined to get it right.

Unfortunately, we now no longer have either.

I can easily see us being like Notts County....just slipping into long drawn out oblivion.

Guest Hornsby
3 hours ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

And pray tell where you are going to get an individual to pay upward of £40 / £50m for the club ?

Cracking idea seeing off the guy who has funded us to a greater extent than any other individual in our history, albeit naively and stubbornly on many occasion.

Cracking idea Grandad if you want to be watching FC Wednesday in the Northern Counties Prem.

According to Transfermarket, £30 million and that before last accounts which had a stadium in.

Club now worth two bob.

Whilst relegation is never good for a club and we could rebuild in the championship, we have to make the best of it and use it as an opportunity to develop some players and a winning team. Just means it takes us years to get back to where we were 4 years ago 

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

Id rather that than anymore of this idiots Wednesday

probably bigger crowds too when hes finished with us. at least youll have no trouble fiding a seat to clap along

Is there a shake your head emoji / weird Sid James pic for this post.   No happy clapper but don't want my club to go into oblivion like you.  

This site at times.  Wow !

Relegation is never a positive, if it was we would have enjoyed this season. We could just of easily had a clear out without going down.

It's the decision makers who are the problem and will they change...not sure.

Getting relegated from the PL hasn't helped in any way.

Can't think of a positive to Div 1 over the Championship.

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

It took 5 seasons in Division 3 before we got back. If it takes a similar time again in the wilderness while the other lot are relatively successful would be disastrous.

3 relegations to division 3 in the last 17 years is a disgrace. 

12 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

It took 5 seasons in Division 3 before we got back. If it takes a similar time again in the wilderness while the other lot are relatively successful would be disastrous.

Not disastrous if we get it right this time, there are no short cuts to success, but  planning and hard work.

Posters are asking why Barnsley are better than us, it's because they have had a plan for the last 4 seasons and stuck to it no matter what.

Where we have just stumbled from crisis to another over the 35 years, HOPING to get it right.

This is part of the above 

12 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

On the previous couple of occasions the club was crippled by debts inherited many years before. This time that kind of financial situation has been created by the chairman's own profligacy, incompetence and hubris. If relegation is our destiny (as is about 90% certain now), there would be something poetic about it if we stayed within 6 points of safety so that the deduction incurred by the stupidity in the boardroom can be clearly seen as what made the difference.

• Like 2