Relegation is a positive

12 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Wow. Someone talking sense on OT. Never. 
Great post this.
Sadly I feel we will not learn if reports of us trialing players like 34 yr old Simpson are true. 
There are lots of bargains to be had and clubs like Brentford continually find them.

We just seem like a pre retirement home. 

Hopefully DM if he stays can find some gems and get us all smiling again. 

Not really, because you’re assuming that if we get relegated DC is going to change his approach.

The reality is we’d sign worse, League 1 versions of what we already have been doing 

9 hours ago, S63 Owl said:

Agree that relegation may help with the clear out and reset the club - but financially relegation to League 1 will cripple us. 

We are a million miles away from challenging for a place in the Premier League and the perceived 'riches' that that brings.  I have not seen a figure but what is the difference financially between the Championship and League One ?  Presumably it is around the TV deal ?  

If we are successful crowds will more than likely not be much different from a home fan perspective.  Large away followings may be the difference in gate receipts.

We are going to drastically reset the wage bill very significantly and still allow us to be in the top payers in League One. 

Guest Grandad
9 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

I think we’ve all accepted it now that we’re not staying up and our impending demotion into the 3rd tier of English football draws closer. 

Just ask yourself, even if we did somehow manage to stay up or if Pulis had worked his magic saved us...what next? Would we just be prolonging the inevitable?

The club has been on a steady downward spiral since 2017 and these last 20 months have been particularly dreadful. The Boxing Day stoppage time collapse at Stoke, the 5-0 home embarrassment vs Blackburn, transfer embargo (again), points deduction, record breaking goal droughts and losses at Home, awful dinosaur long ball football, 3-0 humiliation at Rotherham and our latest low the collapse at Luton after leading 2-0, which really was the nail in the coffin. 

It has been truly horrendous. But that can all change. Relegation gives us the opportunity to finally start getting the ‘big’ decisions right.

Whatever happens next has to be a complete rebuild of the culture, strategy and philosophy at the club. As keen as we all are to see what decisions Chansiri makes with his future, it’s ESSENTIAL that we start rebuilding the club in the right way. 

The single only positive from relegation is if the Chairman f***s off.

Thats it

32 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Not really, because you’re assuming that if we get relegated DC is going to change his approach.

The reality is we’d sign worse, League 1 versions of what we already have been doing 

100%

DC will continue to take the club backwards regardless of the division we are in.

An incompetent in the Championship is an incompetent in Division 1. 

I think we’ve all accepted it now that we’re not staying up and our impending demotion into the 3rd tier of English football draws closer. 

Just ask yourself, even if we did somehow manage to stay up or if Pulis had worked his magic saved us...what next? Would we just be prolonging the inevitable?

The club has been on a steady downward spiral since 2017 and these last 20 months have been particularly dreadful. The Boxing Day stoppage time collapse at Stoke, the 5-0 home embarrassment vs Blackburn, transfer embargo (again), points deduction, record breaking goal droughts and losses at Home, awful dinosaur long ball football, 3-0 humiliation at Rotherham and our latest low the collapse at Luton after leading 2-0, which really was the nail in the coffin. 

It has been truly horrendous. But that can all change. Relegation gives us the opportunity to finally start getting the ‘big’ decisions right.

Whatever happens next has to be a complete rebuild of the culture, strategy and philosophy at the club. As keen as we all are to see what decisions Chansiri makes with his future, it’s ESSENTIAL that we start rebuilding the club in the right way. 

WE have absolutely zero say in it.

DC will do what he wants and it’s naive to think we’ll get anything other than a lucky  break while he’s in charge. At worst we’ll stagnate further.

1 minute ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

We are a million miles away from challenging for a place in the Premier League and the perceived 'riches' that that brings.  I have not seen a figure but what is the difference financially between the Championship and League One ?  Presumably it is around the TV deal ?  

If we are successful crowds will more than likely not be much different from a home fan perspective.  Large away followings may be the difference in gate receipts.

We are going to drastically reset the wage bill very significantly and still allow us to be in the top payers in League One. 

Any reset in League One, has to be based on youth. Eventually through our own development systems, but initially perhaps by bringing in the best young players we can find. Younger players will adapt more easily to any step up. If we continue our policy of always looking for experienced players, 26+, we might get lucky in the short term, but we would then more than likely need a rebuild if we get back up. 
We will need a sprinkling of experience yes, but we have that already, so we need to be looking for players whose careers are on an upward trajectory 

Of course there will always be the odd exception to that rule, where experienced lower league players have their day in the sun, but that’s not normally the case. Some may point to our near neighbours, who went from League One to the Premier League, with what was largely a group of lower league journeymen. How often does that happen though, and how much of that was down to their outstanding coach, Wilder? Look now though, they will finish with one of the lowest points totals ever, despite the efforts of Wilder. They won’t be able to cash in on many of those players who took them on that journey either, because big clubs don’t want players who’ve spent so much time in the lower leagues. For me, it’s younger players all the way, it’s the only way we can be sustainable

This was probably said by Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton, Ipswich, Blackpool, Bolton, Coventry  fans all who have been in the Premier League since we were last there ( Charlton 9 , yes, 9 seasons ). Absolutely pointless stating the same old hogwash about what should happen which is miles away from what will happen.

I've thought we have been relegated for the last 4-5 games, and I am looking forward to June, when we can start to replace the players who have failed consistently for the last 6 seasons and, hopefully, bring in players with the right character and fitness to build a TEAM of players worthy of the name and badge.

Relegation gives us the opportunity to finally start getting the ‘big’ decisions right.

Relegation gives Chansiri to continue to make the decisions that got us relegated, but the main difference is that he does so under even tighter constraints than his complete and utter failure at the Championship level..

I see a slight flaw with your logic.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Grandad said:

The single only positive from relegation is if the Chairman f***s off.

Thats it

And pray tell where you are going to get an individual to pay upward of £40 / £50m for the club ?

Cracking idea seeing off the guy who has funded us to a greater extent than any other individual in our history, albeit naively and stubbornly on many occasion.

Cracking idea Grandad if you want to be watching FC Wednesday in the Northern Counties Prem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I think the first big decision to get right is to have a bit of patience, actually get behind the manager, and accept that we're not going to reverse several seasons of decline in just a few weeks.

I just can't believe that people are already calling for Darren Moore's head. He absolutely needs to be given at least two entire seasons before we can really pass judgement. If he walks or gets bullied out then we deserve everything we get.

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Relegation is an absolute disgrace, an embarrassment. There is nothing positive about it. Ridiculous that people are okay about us going down to league one again. 

1 hour ago, Jaydubz said:

Relegation is never good, get that into your head and anyone else’s that thinks it! 

8 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

There is nothing - NOTHING - that can be done in League One that we couldn’t already do in The Championship. 

Talk of it being a chance of a reset or whatever is complete cr*p.

8 hours ago, English Man said:

I don't understand this mentality of getting relegated "could be good for us" , "we can reset" . It's a complete backwards step. We will have to rebuild for league one survival, then improve to get out of the league (again), then once were back (if we manage it and don't drop again) we have to rebuild again for the champ. 

Can't believe weve become a Champ/league one yoyo club. Were basically and embarrassingly now on a par with Rotherham as a club. I thought we'd left this behind after MM and C taking over but now were staring at L1 again FFS. 

Were arguably in a worse position this time than we were when we last got relegated too. At least we owned the ground then. 

5 hours ago, eightbelow said:

utter nonsense, going down into L1 will hurt us for years to come, unless Cuntiri does one. If he leaves and we get a fresh start then we have a chance but he is a monumental idiot and incapable of understanding how to run the club.

34 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Relegation is not a positive IMO. However, having seen yet another feeble display, it is positive this will be the outcome for this sorry bunch that are masquerading as Championship footballers.

*Gulps*

All valid points and I HATE the fact we are going down of course i'd rather us stay in the Championship. But the reality is what's the point in being here if we are just going to be a bottom feeding, relegation fighting team that plays terrible football every season? I don't want that. 

The long term goal is to reach the PL AND STAY THERE. We are never going to do that until we start getting the smaller stuff right, things like developing players, financeable stable, good footballing philosophy, progressive manager, efficient transfer windows, establish a legitimate base to improve our academy/development squad etc...We are STILL getting all of that wrong and the only reason we succeeded for the first 2 seasons was because Chansiri piled so much money into the club it was very difficult to not be a good team, atleast in the beginning. 

If dropping down a division allows the club to completely rethink and cement its vision around CULTURE, STRATEGY, PHILOSOPHY going forward - just like Brentford, Bournemouth, Southampton have all done then long term we are going to become a successful club again. I do not believe you can properly commit to make BIG changes to those 3 key areas whilst also trying to cling onto Championship football. 

• Like 1