The Own Goal

7 minutes ago, Manwë said:

He scored the own goal because he was there and tracking his man.  If he doesn't touch the ball then the Huddersfield player puts it in.

Not his fault, and you can see he's dejected.  The fault lies with  Shaw.

I was also dejected

Not much Paterson could do about that...at least he tried. Good initial reflex stop by Westwood but when it’s palmed across the goal mouth with the pace taken off it not a lot anyone can do. Very difficult to clear that off the line in the blink of an eye!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Manwë said:

He scored the own goal because he was there and tracking his man.  If he doesn't touch the ball then the Huddersfield player puts it in.

Not his fault, and you can see he's dejected.  The fault lies with  Shaw.

I don't understand what he was trying to do.

He should have been trying to swing his foot at it to clear it.

He seems to be trying to get out of the way of it. Either it goes or the Hudds player puts it in.

You can often trace things back to an earlier fault but...

Westwood's initial position is on the six yard line.  He retreats to his goal line instead of moving out of the six yard box and catching the ball.  The H player contacts the ball at hip height just about at Westwood's starting position.  He seems to be scared of getting hurt when he should be thinking about being first to the ball.

• Like 4

Rhodes made at least four important defensive headed clearances last night. The centre forward plays an important part in defending set pieces. Patterson failed in his given role. But hey things like that happen, more often to teams struggling it seems.

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

Here's my take on the lead up to the goal.

WTF DIDN'T WESTWOOD ATTACK THE BALL BEFORE THE FORWARD GOT TO IT?.

Totally agree if he'd have been closing the man down by the time the hudders player made contact anything on target would have hit him at the least even if he couldn't take it. Looks just like Reach, someone desperately trying not to get himself injured to me. No commitment. 

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

I actually think it was looping in to high for Westwood to make the attempt to catch. If Shaw stays tight to his man I don’t think he makes contact with the ball. To be fair it was a lovely ball in. Right over the defenders and dropping fast right into the danger area. It was pretty hard to defend against IMO. 

I am not sure their striker was being marked by anybody. He seemed in miles of space..where were the central defenders defending that cross from the Huddersfield left?

Our marking in central defence has been poor for several matches. Holmes missed a sitter unmarked in central area in penalty area earlier last night. 

Didn't  think it was Shaw's job as he was running back towards the defence from midfield 

23 minutes ago, Trevorhg said:

Westwood's initial position is on the six yard line.  He retreats to his goal line instead of moving out of the six yard box and catching the ball.  The H player contacts the ball at hip height just about at Westwood's starting position.  He seems to be scared of getting hurt when he should be thinking about being first to the ball.

Central defenders should have been moving fast to mark their man surely. Westwood did make a good save and unlucky Paterson bundled in the rebound and hard to see how he could have cleared the ball. 

9 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Totally agree if he'd have been closing the man down by the time the hudders player made contact anything on target would have hit him at the least even if he couldn't take it. Looks just like Reach, someone desperately trying not to get himself injured to me. No commitment. 

Main issue was lack of marking

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Trevorhg said:

Dreadful goalkeeping. Gets a pass though because it’s “Westy”

BDEF5F17-A67E-4FD1-B143-CFE124A175FA.png

84A0ED10-4918-47F3-8639-4ACF416491B1.png

2 hours ago, NewquayOwl said:

Think the slating of one of our players that actually gives his all is unjustified.

He was the only one who ran back to the goal to try to defend any loose ball. He lashed out with his foot to try to stop it going to their player behind him and unfortunately took a bad touch.

If they all gave as much of a throw, like him, we wouldn't be in the position we're in!

Yes the effort is there but not the talent, probably should have put it towards the corner flag with his left. I like young Shaw but he let his man go free just Like Bannan did against Norwich and it cost us. 

12 hours ago, Edvardo said:

I'm all for slating players when it's due but he's far from the problem in that set piece. Westwood makes a cracking save and it just comes to him. There's no chance to react. Maybe point the finger at those that let Sarr, the biggest rascal in their team, ghost in at the back to put us under that pressure.

Watching that back. Although Westwood made a great reaction save, if he'd taken three steps forward when that was floating in he'd have been occupying the space where the ball landed. He seemed a bit rooted to the spot for me considering there was such a gap between keeper and defensive line.

Saying that , that is the least of my worries last night. We were poo all round.

15 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Dreadful goalkeeping. Gets a pass though because it’s “Westy”

BDEF5F17-A67E-4FD1-B143-CFE124A175FA.png

84A0ED10-4918-47F3-8639-4ACF416491B1.png

Not the keepers fault at all. The trajectory of the ball is low, watch the video rather than posting stills, he could not have come and claimed that ball easily at all. Shaw is marking Sarr from the free kick and initially makes a move in the wrong direction, goodness knows why. Paterson is left in a difficult position but has time to at least try and swing his left foot at it to try and clear, instead he tries, and fails, to get out of the way. 

The organisation from the free-kick is terrible, before they took it, Pelupessy was running around looking lost, swapped which man he was marking 3 times. 

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not the keepers fault at all. The trajectory of the ball is low, watch the video rather than posting stills, he could not have come and claimed that ball easily at all. Shaw is marking Sarr from the free kick and initially makes a move in the wrong direction, goodness knows why. Paterson is left in a difficult position but has time to at least try and swing his left foot at it to try and clear, instead he tries, and fails, to get out of the way. 

The organisation from the free-kick is terrible, before they took it, Pelupessy was running around looking lost, swapped which man he was marking 3 times. 

“Watch the video” Where do you think I got the stills from? Floated in cross that’s travelled 35 yards and Sarr made contact with the ball pretty much where KW was stood when it was taken, all he had to do was take one step forward and either catch it or punch it clear.

Instead he went and stood on his line next to the post. If Wildsmith did that everyone would be banging on about how KW dominates his area much better and organises the defence better.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, victorturner said:

I am not sure their striker was being marked by anybody. He seemed in miles of space..where were the central defenders defending that cross from the Huddersfield left?

Our marking in central defence has been poor for several matches. Holmes missed a sitter unmarked in central area in penalty area earlier last night. 

Didn't  think it was Shaw's job as he was running back towards the defence from midfield 

All in all a poor lot of defending. The striker ran towards the incoming ball an out defenders didn’t go with him. The reason I thought Shaw should have been running with him is he was stood next to the bloke when the ball was kicked. The striker ran towards the ball while Shaw watched the ball. Probably a defender should have been in him not Shaw but if you see someone running towards an incoming free kick go with him!

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

“Watch the video” Where do you think I got the stills from? Floated in cross that’s travelled 35 yards and Sarr made contact with the ball pretty much where KW was stood when it was taken, all he had to do was take one step forward and either catch it or punch it clear.

Instead he went and stood on his line next to the post. If Wildsmith did that everyone would be banging on about how KW dominates his area much better and organises the defence better.

Your hatred of Westwood is obvious, its the main thing you post about. Don't worry we have got the 2 understudies signed up long-term and they will get their chance to prove neither of them are good enough again long-term next season. 

If Shaw tracks his man and stays goal side it would be defended properly.