• Harris
    • Bannan
    • Rhodes
    • Windass
    • Reach
    • Paterson
    • Marriott

27 minutes ago, gizowl said:

If Norwich had a play off with the blunts for a place in the Premier at the end of this season the blunts would piiissss it. 

Blades have collapsed. The only reason they are/was in the premier league has just left them.

Norwich are 10 points clear. How on earth are they classed as a mediocre side.

Most teams who go to the premier league drop back down or struggle the gulf in class is huge 

1 minute ago, Watto said:

Turning point was when we came out 2nd half , same at Luton , capitulate under any sustained pressure , mentally weak players and most not good enough for this league

My post was in reference to the second half ...

And as my post clearly stated the Norwich goal came from a period of unchallenged "Backward step passing".....

We don't sucumb to opponents pressure ...

Only self inflicted pressure ....

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, gizowl said:

But you said they're a better side than when Brighton went up an Brighton are still there. 

The Brighton side that went up is a different side than now obviously they have spent when they got there.

They went up with Knockhardt, Duffy and Glenn Murray, this Norwich team is better imo

Just opinions tho.

Guest gizowl
4 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

Blades have collapsed. The only reason they are/was in the premier league has just left them.

Norwich are 10 points clear. How on earth are they classed as a mediocre side.

Most teams who go to the premier league drop back down or struggle the gulf in class is huge 

Yes they are ten points clear but in a weak championship and I personally think next season they'll be back down. The mediocre sides in the Premier league Burnley Brighton Palace Newcastle will still fair better than Norwich. 

I always find it quite interesting to compare how a purely statistical analysis of our players' performances compares with how we feel as fans at the end of a game.

You can see how whoscored.com calculate their ratings here, if you're interested: https://www.whoscored.com/Explanations

I usually find that I'm overly positive when we've won and overly critical when we've lost, whereas the ratings generated by their statistical analysis usually lie somewhere in the middle.

Their algorithm generates the following ratings from today's game:

1199981658_Screenshot2021-03-14at17_01_04.thumb.png.8274465549e84bb92f1651487c60c61c.png

• Thanks 3

We weren't humiliated, but were simply outclassed, and this team has had a glass chin for a couple of seasons now. Voted for Rhodes, although he can't keep up that lone striker role for much more than 45 minutes.

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I always find it quite interesting to compare how a purely statistical analysis of our players' performances compares with how we feel as fans at the end of a game.

You can see how whoscored.com calculate their ratings here, if you're interested: https://www.whoscored.com/Explanations

I usually find that I'm overly positive when we've won and overly critical when we've lost, whereas the ratings generated by their statistical analysis usually lie somewhere in the middle.

Their algorithm generates the following ratings from today's game:

1199981658_Screenshot2021-03-14at17_01_04.thumb.png.8274465549e84bb92f1651487c60c61c.png

Thanks for that. Interesting stuff.

I agree with the top 3 just through what I've seen.

Though I'd have Pelupessy edging Rhodes for top spot. 

• Like 1

Guest gizowl
5 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

The Brighton side that went up is a different side than now obviously they have spent when they got there.

They went up with Knockhardt, Duffy and Glenn Murray, this Norwich team is better imo

Just opinions tho.

Yes opinions, they also had Dunk, Stephens plus other good players so Brighton were a side better equipped for the Prem. But at the end of the day Norwich arn't my concern only the wellbeing of wednesday and that is very concerning atm. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Thanks for that. Interesting stuff.

I agree with the top 3 just through what I've seen.

Though I'd have Pelupessy edging Rhodes for top spot. 

Yeah, Pelupessy was the best player as far as I was concerned, too.

whoscored.com do place a lot of stall by goals, which obviously swung things in Rhodes' favour, and I suspect Pelupessy diving in and leaving Cantwell through on goal for Norwich's second counted against him in their calculations.

• Thanks 1

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yeah, Pelupessy was the best player as far as I was concerned, too.

whoscored.com do place a lot of stall by goals, which obviously swung things in Rhodes' favour, and I suspect Pelupessy diving in and leaving Cantwell through on goal for Norwich's second counted against him in their calculations.

See despite being wasteful I thought Windass was quite good. Especially first half in helping us get up and close down. 

The two errors had me pulling my hair out and if I was still emotionally involved and hadn't given up the ghost this season iticket would have affected my view on it and moved him down the pile!

• Like 1

Between Rhodes and Joey, with Lees close. Went Rhodes as he did an excellent job as lone-striker, getting us up field, plus of course the goal. We look so much better when he plays up front.

Lees was, as usual, our best defender by miles. He’s an outstanding defensive player, but atrocious with the ball at his feet. Why do we play him wide of the 3? Hutch and Urhoghide are comfortable playing it out, but Lees needs to be centralwhere his only job is to feed one of his wider CBs.

Joey had a very good game. It’s a win-win when he plays because he’s a far better CM than Hutch and Hutch is an excellent CB.

Bannan worked hard but his passing was terrible today.

Reach excellent first-half, went off in the second.

Harris superb first half. Love him at RWB. Perfect for him. Poorer second.

Windass such a poor player. Way too greedy and wasteful. We are a better side without him. 

Palmer excellent first half. Poor second. (I’m saying that a lot)

Hutch was decent. It’s his best position.

Westwood could do nothing with either goal.

Subbing Rhodes was a stinker of a decision.

• Like 4

The transformation of how we looked on the ball, passing and movement was amazing especially in first half.

Given the runs both teams were on before the game the result isn't as important if we build from that first half. 

Really just shows up FFP and the difference in those who have come down can afford to keep premiership players. Football in premiership and soon in championship is all money and the gulf between top few. Man city wining 5-0 every week not football unless your a man city supporter it just ruins the game. Just protects those who bought a team a few years back..... Championship will become 6-8 yo-yo clubs and nobody else will get a look at promotion.... 

Wasn't it nice to see some attacking passing football! 

45 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

See despite being wasteful I thought Windass was quite good. Especially first half in helping us get up and close down. 

The two errors had me pulling my hair out and if I was still emotionally involved and hadn't given up the ghost this season iticket would have affected my view on it and moved him down the pile!

Agree 100%.

I thought both he and Rhodes were very good at closing down in the first half, and Windass' tackling stats were second only to Pelupessy across the whole game. He was also our most accurate passer, with a 86.7% success rate. And of course, our goal came from a free-kick won when Windass got in behind Norwich's defensive line.

It's just the way it goes that a lot of his good work gets erased in many people's minds due to those two errors, though.

The failure to pass to Pelupessy was frustrating, but it's hardly the first time we've lacked the final ball this season. And as much as Buendia's tackle put us on the back foot when we should have been breaking away, Pelupessy's rash challenge and Urhoghide's poor positioning compounded the initial mistake and left Cantwell through on goal.

5 hours ago, horny owl said:

Just clicked on and seen joey is leading the MOM awards so far

Tells you all you need to know about the rest of our gash players if that’s the caliber of player who’s beating them

Bit harsh. Did you watch the game? Joey played really well, as did most of them tbh. Norwich are a PL team. We was just beaten by the better team today. 

2 hours ago, trotter said:

Westwood 6

Harris 6

Lees 7

Hutchinson 7

Urhoghide 5 - too many unnecessary fouls

Palmer 4 ineffective and dives I too often 

Bannan 5

Reach 5

Pelupessy 7

Windass 4

Rhodes 7

Marriott 1 - A daft substitution 

2 weak links in defence each of whom made a key error,  and a feeble midfield . Reach did not have to play. Where was Shaw?

It's been the story of this season. We played OK. Seen teams play worse and win games. But beaten by 2 goals that they will score probably 1 in a season. Both top corner. Half a yard either way and its a goal kick or a save. 

Yes they were mistakes before the goals but nothing that normally contributes to conceding goals. 

Whats frustrating is if we had played any where near that performance we would not be in the position we are. The stats show a typical relegation team stats of chucking away winning positions and losing games we could and should have won. 

Nobody expected us to win today. But we should have. When lady luck is not on your side it is just not going to happen for us. 

Joey was good. Rhodes does what he is good at. Reach must have a niggling injury. He has been so poor all season. He is a much better player than this. 

Hopefully DM will be able to get some confidence in to the team from this. We gave the best team in the championship a good game and any other day we would have beaten them. When you consider how many passengers we are carrying atm in the team. We must be able to get something from this performance. All is not lost yet. But we are going to need a total change in luck and players like Reach are just a luxury that are wasted. Anything is possible in the championship. Days like today show we are good enough to stop up. Not sure if we deserve to stay up. But if we miraculously start winning from the position we are in a performance like today might be the game that starts a change in fortunes. 

Its being totally optimistic and there has been other opportunities for the team to pick up and it has not happened so it's a real long shot. 

I hope the players will not throw the towel in. It didn't look like they had today. 

I hate relegation seasons. They always have the same consistent of bad luck and everything going against you. I don't know why but I think we can still change our way and stay up. Things are going to have to change now though. 

Very little pressing allows opposition free passage into our half. No tenacity. Very little energy. Seem to be just passing the 90 minutes so they can go home. Harris had a few good runs first half. No support for Rhodes. 

We cannot play against teams that press as we don't know how to retain the ball.