Unlikely but surprisingly good cover versions

9 minutes ago, mildatheart67 said:

Does this count

Not an unlikely cover, but christ alive marr is class. The detuning solo work is brilliant. Looks so simple but unless you've got a good enough ear to correct the out of tune string when you need to, its hard to do. 

On 20/03/2021 at 13:55, panda800 said:

The power station   cover  of get it on   is miles better than the  Marc bolan version 

Sorry but no way!

Heavier, yes, decent, yes but not better by a long chalk.

Incidentally the original is 50 years old this month and I bought it when it came out!

Edited by Utah Owl

Not sure how 'unlikely' these all are but love the following:

Placebo - Running up that hill.

Johnny Cash - The Mercy Seat

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World

Jeff Buckley - Just like a woman

Aha - The Killing Moon (with Ian McCulloch for MTV unplugged).

For me Jeff Buckley and Johnny Cash are the kings of covers because their unique styles completely re-imagine the songs.

And finally, one that I have always found truly unlikely:

Hole - Clouds.

Joni Mitchell done as the grugiest of grunge tracks. 

• Like 1

I love it when you find the cover first and for years think it is the original, only to hear the true original years later and love it just as much.

Police and thieves by the clash, awesome cover. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, swafty said:

I love it when you find the cover first and for years think it is the original, only to hear the true original years later and love it just as much.

It blew my mind when I first heard Prince's original of nothing compares to you. 

• Like 1

On 12/07/2021 at 22:38, swafty said:

Junior Murvin, produced by Lee Scratch Perry at his Black Ark Studios. I still have my 1975 vinyl copy and a CD.

There's an entire album of awesome.

Scratch later produced the Clash himself and told them to turn their guitars down.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2021 at 21:38, swafty said:

Can lead to awkward moments when you meet that band though and spend ten minutes telling them how you think that song is head and shoulders above anything else they've ever written

lol

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

The video won't embed, and it is a fairly faithful tribute... but going to the whole lengths of being in one of the biggest rock bands in the world and then creating an alter ego for your whole band and realising a cracking set of cover versions counts for this thread...

...I give you, the DEE GEES.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1