Camera pictures from old games

5 hours ago, Comeonwednesday said:

Anybody recognise these lads, taken outside the South Stand in April 1975.

Probably be about 55/60 years old now ?

image.png.d5d8e9ba05ec094debb03b12f6850ff7.png

Had the same cardigan, green with yellow stars got it for Xmas from Tramps and wore mine when we played Chelsea away fa cup 3rd round in Jan. Coach 2 from Pond Street, took 7000, lost 3-2 and was freezing posing in my new top. Stood outside a pub b4 the game as not old enough to drink. First the Xmas tree came through the pub window, followed by a few Chelsea fans trying to escape a beating.Tried to get on the Shed end b4 the game, glad we didn't, was fun trying to find the coach after the game, coach got windows smashed and had to get another coach to take us back. The good old days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/03/2021 at 18:24, sexpistol said:

I don’t suppose you have any of the blunts end in that league cup game by any chance? I believe they only took 4-5k that game yet a mate of mine claims they almost filled the Lep. I think there was about 24k for the home leg.

Great photos by the way.

I've had a look at my old negatives from the match and there are several with 'crowd scenes' in the background.

Looks to me like the standing area at the Leppings Lane end (including the 'Wycombe Corner') was full but the seats were probably half empty.

I'll have to scan and then post them; if Grandad promises not to mess with 'em :):),  then you can make your own mind up.

Be tomorrow now.

There looks to be some good 'uns.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Comeonwednesday said:

I've had a look at my old negatives from the match and there are several with 'crowd scenes' in the background.

Looks to me like the standing area at the Leppings Lane end (including the 'Wycombe Corner') was full but the seats were probably half empty.

I'll have to scan and then post them; if Grandad promises not to mess with 'em :):),  then you can make your own mind up.

Be tomorrow now.

Cheers pal

On 11/03/2021 at 16:57, Comeonwednesday said:

League Cup v dem Blavdes August 1980

Jeff Johnson scores the second in a 2-0 win.

Managed to blag my way in with a camera.

Couldn't happen now of course.

Couple more pictures on their way.

image.png.2605da381a0e016bfca7360ed5b9ec03.png

That must have been a top camera or ......😄

2 hours ago, Comeonwednesday said:

Be tomorrow now.

Cheers mate,  something to look forward to at the weekend for once.

• Haha 1

On 11/03/2021 at 18:52, Since 1971 said:

Correct. I think big Mick McDingle played for them that day as well as Varadi. Terrible black and red chequered kit

You sure this wasn't from the 85/86 season (we won 3-2)? That was my second ever game and I defo remember City wearing that black/red chessboard shirt. 

1 hour ago, El Wednesday said:

You sure this wasn't from the 85/86 season (we won 3-2)? That was my second ever game and I defo remember City wearing that black/red chessboard shirt. 

Much as I sincerely would love these pictures to mean something to people (your first game, your mate's in the photo, something great happened that day etc) I've checked and I'm fairly sure it is Man City at home in April 1987.

The pictures are quite old, and apologies the quality is not great. I was at both games and seem to remember standing in the Lep triangle for the earlier game. But a couple of things indicate the 1987 game rather than Man City at home in 1985-86.

First, the 1985-86 home game v Man City was in December 1985. Megson's first game back as a Wednesday player after leaving for Forest in 1984. The old scoreboard shows the time as 16.05 in one photo and 16.12 in another. If it was a December game it would be pitch black by then. But the scoreboard wasn't always accurate!

On the last picture, although the image is not clear, it looks a lot like David Hirst joining in the fun ahead of the linesman. We signed Hirsty in summer 1986.

As I said, I wish it was a picture of your memorable game, but possibly not in this case.

I'm very happy to be corrected.

9 hours ago, Since 1971 said:

Much as I sincerely would love these pictures to mean something to people (your first game, your mate's in the photo, something great happened that day etc) I've checked and I'm fairly sure it is Man City at home in April 1987.

The pictures are quite old, and apologies the quality is not great. I was at both games and seem to remember standing in the Lep triangle for the earlier game. But a couple of things indicate the 1987 game rather than Man City at home in 1985-86.

First, the 1985-86 home game v Man City was in December 1985. Megson's first game back as a Wednesday player after leaving for Forest in 1984. The old scoreboard shows the time as 16.05 in one photo and 16.12 in another. If it was a December game it would be pitch black by then. But the scoreboard wasn't always accurate!

On the last picture, although the image is not clear, it looks a lot like David Hirst joining in the fun ahead of the linesman. We signed Hirsty in summer 1986.

As I said, I wish it was a picture of your memorable game, but possibly not in this case.

I'm very happy to be corrected.

Ah, okay. You've presented some good evidence there, and I was only 10 at the '85 game.

Guess something that makes dating some of these games tricky is that teams kept the same kits for a few seasons in those days.

It's all fascinating stuff though, thanks for starting this thread!   👏

On 11/03/2021 at 14:16, Since 1971 said:

Yes correct. It has changed quite a bit now eh?

First game of 1987/88. 22,000 there and the Shed end looks rammed. Chelsea were relegated that season and had a couple of home gates of 11,000.

It was roasting hot that day, me and my brother got sunburnt. Lost 2-1, Chapman scored for us. I was hoping Hodgey would save the penalty for the picture! Unusually all quiet before and after the game in the surrounding streets. 

Strange club Chelsea back then....sometimes their gates were awful and then sometimes they would get big gates.

You're right though, that shed end looks packed, was looking to see if that mobility car was parked up near the goal too 😆

Great pic pity about the result.