Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

This seems to have slipped past relatively unnoticed. Presented as better than the European Super League idea but, as predicted, it’s an opportunity for the big boys to have their cake and eat it - keep the domestic (indeed, make them accommodate the big club’s needs) as well as have to cash cow of European competition.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ever the pessimist said:

The link may have helped...

Champions League: Steve Parish says reformed 36-team tournament would be 'devastating' for English football

He's not wrong, but then he referred to teams outside the PL as corner shops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't really mind extra champions league to be honest, I am probably just fed up with football at the moment mainly due to Wednesday probably but I just have this idea of all these super rich clubs forming their own league and having the megastar players, and then for us to support a more competitive national league in which there is greater focus on more traditional football values. 

• Like 2

Tbh, I'm not sure I really care anymore.

Football is broken and it will only get worse.

This is being done to fend off the super league. That says it all really. UEFA kowtowing to the top clubs and no doubt we will be in the same situation in a few years time.

Heck, there has been talk of weighted coefficients, so some teams would qualify based on past success.

The whole thing is just nonsense.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

This is being done to fend off the super league. That says it all really. UEFA kowtowing to the top clubs and no doubt we will be in the same situation in a few years time.

Heck, there has been talk of weighted coefficients, so some teams would qualify based on past success.

The link I (eventually) posted suggests at least 2 of the 36 places will be awarded on past history.

The idea of playing 10 games against teams of varied standards / coefficient sounds complicated too, and doubtless done to favour the biggest clubs.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SiJ said:

I'm sorry to say that I agree with the first two sentences. There is no way back, it's over.

On 10/03/2021 at 22:21, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't really mind extra champions league to be honest, I am probably just fed up with football at the moment mainly due to Wednesday probably but I just have this idea of all these super rich clubs forming their own league and having the megastar players, and then for us to support a more competitive national league in which there is greater focus on more traditional football values. 

This is where I’m at. I feel like I’m an entirely equal distance from my traditional views on the game, and also just saying “f*ck it” and accepting an NFL style closed shop for the biggest clubs.

Once upon a time I’d have been disgusted by all this talk of a European Super League but I don’t have the energy anymore. Give me whatever is the most entertaining for me to watch while I’m sat on the settee shovelling crisps into my fat head.

Taking the top level of financial “crust” off the game might also allow the rest of us to rebuild something better, although I increasingly think that’s a pipe dream that many don’t even particularly want anyway.

• Like 4

Yeah I can’t be arsed with it anymore either

It’s a far cry from the game I loved when I started going in the early 90’s. It’s not about the game anymore it’s about everyone concerned filling their trousers with as much money as they possibly can 

Wednesday aside I’ve zero interest in it 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/03/2021 at 23:04, parkfieldowl14 said:

Stopped the watching the Champions League the moment every Tom ******** and Harry were allowed to qualify.It should be for the League Champions only.

This ^. It was just about acceptable in the mid-late 90’s when the league champions and the runners up (through qualifying) were allowed in.  

Just seen that from 2024 there will be 36 teams allowed in including two wild cards - wtf. 
Basically means Liverpool, in 7th would be allowed in.  

It’s a joke of a competition now.  
To at least make it work they need to scrap the “champions” name and re-name it back to being a European cup.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Owls-Fan said:

This ^. It was just about acceptable in the mid-late 90’s when the league champions and the runners up (through qualifying) were allowed in.  

Just seen that from 2024 there will be 36 teams allowed in including two wild cards - wtf. 
Basically means Liverpool, in 7th would be allowed in.  

It’s a joke of a competition now.  
To at least make it work they need to scrap the “champions” name and re-name it back to being a European cup.  

Spot on Mate.Just been watching some of the Old European Cup games of the late 70's involving Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. Happy Days

On 11/03/2021 at 07:19, Ever the pessimist said:

The link I (eventually) posted suggests at least 2 of the 36 places will be awarded on past history.

The idea of playing 10 games against teams of varied standards / coefficient sounds complicated too, and doubtless done to favour the biggest clubs.

Without doubt this is a move to increase revenue and protect the participation and progress of the big teams to the latter stages.

As you say, just having one table for 36 teams who will play 10 matches seems somewhat convoluted. 

Not due to be implemented until 2024, still gives us time to finish in the top 4 in the PL by the end of the 2023/24 season and somehow miss out on Champions League football due to our lack of past participation! 

lol