Why Sheffield (the city)?

Both clubs are too busy worrying about the other club rather than looking at the big picture and the owners know being top dog in an underachieving city will keep the fans happy. It’s like arguing who’s the world’s tallest dwarf 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

i think both clubs have been held back by boards that have faux ambition.......neither club for 50 odd years have had a board that would really push on when there team  were showing some potential ..when i started going both clubs finished in the top  6 and  neither of them pushed on by investing ,then as the seasons went on they started selling there best players and by the end of the decade both were relegated  and its just carried on decade after decade  .....sadly we finally got one in chansiri  but he didnt have a clue on how to pursue what he wanted to achieve .  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Ive travelled for business all over the country and I genuinely think that over the years its down to money. The economy of South Yorkshire is significantly smaller than Midlands, Merseyside, Greater Manchester etc etc. I think that long term success is built on the financial muscle of the local area. So whilst every so often we can pop up and compete (when the conditions are right) gravity takes effect and we fall back down again.

In Wednesday's current case we also have a complete phuckwhit of an owner who has alienated the fanbase and local businesses so we are screwed for many years going forward.

• Like 2

As someone who became an adopted son of Sheffield, I always thought there was a certain uniqueness about the city It seemed welded to its past, so focussed on trying to hang on to its old industries. At the time, I bought in to this, but ultimately that inability to move on, held the city back. 
Sheffield now, from a distance anyway, seems to have reinvented itself, and is now a becoming a thoroughly modern city. Sadly though, as a club, we haven’t modernised, we are still clinging on the old ways of doing things. This may seem unpalatable to some, but we are becoming irrelevant to the new generations. A poo ground, an out of date approach, on and off the pitch We need a visionary, somebody who can drag the club into the 21st century

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

We're a busted relic. that needs a lot of work

One of the poorer areas of the country, no real infrastructure at the club, we might have been cheap to buy at one point, but thats a drop in the ocean compared to what it will take to turn us into a successful team

H

Bruce & Pulis both knocked the training ground, the stadium as much as I love it, needs work

Poorer area of the country, 

Working class city

Two club city

Population insufficient to support two clubs.

Nah it’s all rubbish

Take Liverpool. and compare

Just as poor

Just as working class

Two club city

Even smaller population.

The only difference is desperately poor management over the last four decades.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dr. benway said:

Pains me to say it but I think Sheffield was always a bit behind other cities in terms of redevelopment and attracting people to it. 

Most definitely. Having travelled and worked away a lot, I recognise that every time I return I see progression but nothing like other cities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

Both clubs are too busy worrying about the other club rather than looking at the big picture and the owners know being top dog in an underachieving city will keep the fans happy. It’s like arguing who’s the world’s tallest dwarf 

I never ever think about the other lot. I’m pretty certain there are many others like me. What they are doing is irrelevant to our own success (or failure)

17 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Sheffield has always been a backwater city.

Just one example, how many tv shows/dramas or sitcoms have been based in the city?

It's just not seen as cool.

I think there is something in this.

When I was a kid going on holiday to the south coast resorts with my family, no one had heard of Sheffield apart from crucible snooker.

Geographically we are isolated in a bowl that's why cutlery trade developed. The river isn't navigable, the canal didn't link in very well, main rail lines still pass us by as does the M1.

We have no good road link to Manchester unlike Leeds, the M62 corridor.

So I think we are a bit of a backwater in terms of attracting investment and players.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lanzaroteowl said:

how many tv shows/dramas or sitcoms have been based in the city?

It's just not seen as cool.

4 creepy men dancing in their underpants arousing the classy 'birds' of 1980s Sheffield 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, T Hardy said:

It’s all about one thing - Sky money.

We just missed out when it started pouring into the Premier League. Now the best we can ever hope for is finishing 7th-10th in the Premier League, and then teams higher up will buy our best players 

You say that but look at Leicester, with good management anything is possible. Problem is we have an incompetent plebeian in charge.  

• Like 1

I’d like to see us drop Sheffield and just become Wednesday. Then when everyone’s getting their knickers in a twist when pundits just refer to us as Sheffield, it’s more relevant because we aren’t Sheffield. We’re Wednesday. I also think it would be easier to market as well

but it’ll never happen because too many fans will object, The Star will run a campaign to convince us to keep Sheffield as part of our name and so on. You can blame the Chairman for many things during our recent demise but the fractured, hostile and judgemental nature of our fan base has been a constant throughout our history and has held us back at times and will continue to do so? Looking forward to all the replies telling me I’m wrong again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know  much about Sheffield United.

But throughout my lifetime and in fact in the 10 years before Sheffield Wednesday has suffered from a combination of bad luck, bad timing and some ridiculous board level decisions. This has resulted in this club never reaching its potential 

Here is a few examples:

We are blessed with one of the best strikers in the country ( Dereck Dooley ) , a Wednesday fan and he loses his leg in a freak accident 

We fail to back Harry Catterick.

The Football betting scandal

The first club to lose a 2 goal lead in a cup final , to Harry Catericks Everton

An obsession with building a stadium not a team

Not getting a uefa cup space due to Heysel 

The Hillsborough Disaster

Failure to back Howard Wilkinson , only to see him deliver the title to Leeds 4 years later

Failure to hold on to Ron Atkinson

Not signing cantona

Failure to properly exploit the potential of David Hirst

Failure to support di canio

Relegation from the top flight immediately before the big money came in

England losing the 2018 bid which would have resulted in a refurbished Hillsborough

Finally getting an owner with money only to see that opportunity wasted

Recruiting one of the best promotion managers,only to see Steve Bruce leave a few months later

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Geedee said:

But throughout my lifetime and in fact in the 10 years before Sheffield Wednesday has suffered from a combination of bad luck, bad timing and some ridiculous board level decisions. This has resulted in this club never reaching its potential 

Relegation from the top flight immediately before the big money came in

Finally getting an owner with money only to see that opportunity wasted

Also: getting relegated before parachute payments and shortly before the collapse of ITV digital; having to compete against many other clubs with parachute payments while complying with FFP rules, with an owner with no experience of English football. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another one soon: the FFP rules will be reset, so any other clubs that might have been on the point of breaking them will get off, leaving us as one of only two clubs (I think) to get a points deduction for breaking them.

51 minutes ago, Geedee said:

Plus: having trophy-winning sides at times when there were only two trophies to win; conversely, having one of our worst-ever periods in the 70s to mid-80s, when English clubs seemed to win every other European trophy.

We should go all out and become the worlds first club for the modern millennial  to attract a new global fan base.

1.  Players must be vegan

2.  Boots made from non leather products 

3.  Only organic vegan food in the ground 

4.   Travel  to matches in an electric bus or by horse and cart 

5.  Sponsored by charities such as greenpeace

6.  Half time and pre match entertainment should be debates and talks about ESG issues 

7.  Players should be prominent spokespeople on human rights, climate change, progressive taxation , universal basic income, race and gender issues

8. Positive discrimination in promotions/ hiring  

Etc etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I’d like to see us drop Sheffield and just become Wednesday. Then when everyone’s getting their knickers in a twist when pundits just refer to us as Sheffield, it’s more relevant because we aren’t Sheffield. We’re Wednesday. I also think it would be easier to market as well

but it’ll never happen because too many fans will object, The Star will run a campaign to convince us to keep Sheffield as part of our name and so on. You can blame the Chairman for many things during our recent demise but the fractured, hostile and judgemental nature of our fan base has been a constant throughout our history and has held us back at times and will continue to do so? Looking forward to all the replies telling me I’m wrong again.

You’re wrong

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We should go all out and become the worlds first club for the modern millennial  to attract a new global fan base.

1.  Players must be vegan

2.  Boots made from non leather products 

3.  Only organic vegan food in the ground 

4.   Travel  to matches in an electric bus or by horse and cart 

5.  Sponsored by charities such as greenpeace

6.  Half time and pre match entertainment should be debates and talks about ESG issues 

7.  Players should be prominent spokespeople on human rights, climate change, progressive taxation , universal basic income, race and gender issues

8. Positive discrimination in promotions/ hiring  

Etc etc

To be fair we already positively discriminate when hiring players. We give ageing, crap, already injured and retired players an income which no other clubs would.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 83owl said:

To be fair we already positively discriminate when hiring players. We give ageing, crap, already injured and retired players an income which no other clubs would.

.... and when we now occasionally do release such players we then resign them again just to prove our point!! Only Wednesday!! 

• Like 2