Why Sheffield (the city)?

4 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

I was born in Sheffield, so it's a place very dear to my heart.  But why is it that football in this city - apart from the odd sparkly season, like we've had and the other lot have had - is unsuccessful?  Why aren't we like Manc or Liverpool, or N London?  We can get the crowds to match any city, but why do we manage to make a mess of it?

How many players come here and are sold for a profit?  Very few.  Next season, we'll have a Championship and a League 1 side more than likely.

There must be something in the air or it's the people which puts the mockers on consistency.  Brentford?  Barnsley?  How come they get it and we don't?

Have I missed something?  Are our supporters like dementors, sucking the life out of the soul of the club?  It's a recurring theme though.

Either club should attract the money men, judging by the crowds either club can generate, and invest accordingly.  Why are people queuing up to buy Ipswich?  Derby?   and the list goes on.

Please put me straight....thanks 

To succeed in the championship you need one of two things.

Parachute payments or a good youth and scouting system so you can develop players and sell them on for profit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We're a busted relic. that needs a lot of work

One of the poorer areas of the country, no real infrastructure at the club, we might have been cheap to buy at one point, but thats a drop in the ocean compared to what it will take to turn us into a successful team

Bruce & Pulis both knocked the training ground, the stadium as much as I love it, needs work

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

We're a busted relic. that needs a lot of work

One of the poorer areas of the country.

You say that but i'm sure that in a report from a few years ago, one of the Sheffield Wards was the 3rd wealthiest in the country behind somewhere in London and Cheshire (I think), I think the report may have been around 5 years or so ago and things may have changed a little but there is still a hell of a lot of money in Sheffield.

It may be that Sheffield isn't seen as a fashionable location.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spookone said:

You say that but i'm sure that in a report from a few years ago, one of the Sheffield Wards was the 3rd wealthiest in the country behind somewhere in London and Cheshire (I think), I think the report may have been around 5 years or so ago and things may have changed a little but there is still a hell of a lot of money in Sheffield.

Maybe, but every place has it's richer areas but South Yorkshire is one of the top 10 poorest regions in Northern Europe, again this was about 5 years ago I read this, so may have changed since then

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Spookone said:

Pains me to say it but I think Sheffield was always a bit behind other cities in terms of redevelopment and attracting people to it. 

• Like 6

I love the city, partly due to the self-deprecating nature of the people, but at times I think that holds us back. It may sound daft but I honestly believe that some places mirror the people or vice-versa. Brash Leeds, self-confident Manchester, loyal and combative Scouse....It's interesting that nationally people often think Sheffield is a city of about 2-3000K rather than twice that.

More specifically football, both clubs have made very poor decisions when strongly positioned. 

I also wonder whether the city councils of other places as more football friendly and see it for what it is / could be: a huge income generator for the city.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I think Sheffield has always been seen as unfashionable apart from a brief spell in every decade when a new band comes to the fore and it is viewed more favourably. Is it down to the level of investment in the area? If Chansiri wanted to sell would there be anyone locally to buy the club? Unlikely I would think...a consortium maybe?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Spookone said:

That will be Hallam.

• Like 1

Guest T Hardy

It’s all about one thing - Sky money.

We just missed out when it started pouring into the Premier League. Now the best we can ever hope for is finishing 7th-10th in the Premier League, and then teams higher up will buy our best players 

23 minutes ago, sternlad said:

I think Sheffield has always been seen as unfashionable apart from a brief spell in every decade when a new band comes to the fore and it is viewed more favourably. Is it down to the level of investment in the area? If Chansiri wanted to sell would there be anyone locally to buy the club? Unlikely I would think...a consortium maybe?

Sheffield was a bit of a dump until recently. The decision not to build an airport was RIIIIDICULOUS... and constantly annoys me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I honestly think we as a club will never shake off the horror of what happened in the cup semi final, it’s a ball and chain that will never leave this club, you think Sheffield Wednesday then you think Hillsborough, and Hillsborough,  Hysel, the Valley and Bradford will always be things that are remembered as the darkest days of the game alongside others. I love my club but that will always hold us back

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

I was born in Sheffield, so it's a place very dear to my heart.  But why is it that football in this city - apart from the odd sparkly season, like we've had and the other lot have had - is unsuccessful?  Why aren't we like Manc or Liverpool, or N London?  We can get the crowds to match any city, but why do we manage to make a mess of it?

How many players come here and are sold for a profit?  Very few.  Next season, we'll have a Championship and a League 1 side more than likely.

There must be something in the air or it's the people which puts the mockers on consistency.  Brentford?  Barnsley?  How come they get it and we don't?

Have I missed something?  Are our supporters like dementors, sucking the life out of the soul of the club?  It's a recurring theme though.

Either club should attract the money men, judging by the crowds either club can generate, and invest accordingly.  Why are people queuing up to buy Ipswich?  Derby?   and the list goes on.

Please put me straight....thanks 

We don’t get the crowds to match the cities you mentioned; commercially and structurally we are light years behind those clubs in the cities you mention. 

There’s also the Sheffield psyche of thinking underachieving is ok, we don’t want to be too loud, too cocky, etc.  Which isn’t a bad thing, we generally have nice friendly people in the city.  

The traits that Manc, Scousers, and Londoner’s have that are disliked by many Sheffielders, are probably the traits that give the clubs and cities that like bit of ‘get up and go’. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1