Statement from Liam Shaw on move to Celtic

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

OK.

As I say, European football or not, I'm not sure choosing Celtic over a League One team can be seen as a bad career move, really.

I’ve never blamed him for leaving Wednesday, just his choice of club

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He might not have had much choice.

At the point Celtic put a pre-contract agreement under his nose, it was between them and Wednesday, as far as we know.

It was February though, plenty of time for better placed clubs to come through if he’s that good. The way things have gone since Exeter it’s perhaps as well he took their offer. 

Anyway not going through all that again.  
lol

2 minutes ago, BIG D said:

It was February though, plenty of time for better placed clubs to come through if he’s that good. The way things have gone since Exeter it’s perhaps as well he took their offer. 

Anyway not going through all that again.  
lol

Shaw is promising, but he's far from the finished article.

A move to Celtic to train with better players, in a more professional setup, is surely an improvement on what he'd get at Wednesday. And that's to say nothing of the wages on offer, which I imagine dwarf ours.

It would be a brave 20-year-old who'd turn that down in the hope of a better offer, knowing that one injury could be the end of it all.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BIG D said:

I’ve never blamed him for leaving Wednesday, just his choice of club

IMO he’s done the right thing . If my son were offered the same choices I’d have advised him to choose Celtic every time.

• Like 3

Celtic did something similar a good five or so years ago with a relatively untested Australian, Tom Rogic.

He was just cutting his teeth in Australia's A-League at the time, and had managed maybe one full season before Celtic became interested.

He is streaks above where he would have been had he stayed in Australia for longer. Same read for Aaron Mooy. Both played against each other before each earning European moves.

Development will come, as previously mentioned, with a better training set up against better players...

Rogic's appearances:

TR.JPG

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aussieowl87 said:

Celtic did something similar a good five or so years ago with a relatively untested Australian, Tom Rogic.

He was just cutting his teeth in Australia's A-League at the time, and had managed maybe one full season before Celtic became interested.

He is streaks above where he would have been had he stayed in Australia for longer. Same read for Aaron Mooy. Both played against each other before each earning European moves.

Development will come, as previously mentioned, with a better training set up against better players...

Rogic's appearances:

TR.JPG

Fior every Rogic there are dozens of youngsters that the big clubs take on that don't make it. 

4 hours ago, BIG D said:

Well, proper European football 

It is almost certain that Scotland will get 2 CL qualifying spots next season which means an entry route for Celtic. Not that Shaw will be playing in them. 

And no matter the competition playing in Europe is a good thing even if it’s the Europa League.  

Guest Therealrealist
16 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

Without the decent clubs taking part Celtic might actually feature in the group stages. All they have to do is beat the Belarusian runners up to qualify.....

So they would be crashing out again then..

12 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

It is almost certain that Scotland will get 2 CL qualifying spots next season which means an entry route for Celtic. Not that Shaw will be playing in them. 

And no matter the competition playing in Europe is a good thing even if it’s the Europa League.  

Celtic's European jaunts lately last about as long as a lads holiday to Ibiza with the same levels of embarrassment to come back home to! 

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if we got him back on loan next season. 

Doubt it.

Celtic had signed Shaw without Wednesday's consent, so there is unlikely to be a sell/loan-back agreement in place.  We all know how Wednesday have acted (wrongly or rightly) against the likes of Hirst Jnr, so I doubt Shaw would be welcomed back.  He's currently dropped, possibly due to form or due to alleged criticism of the manager, or something else.

As @striker above says, "no thanks".  We would, yet again, be the creche for other clubs to develop their players that have little or no chance of making it in the top divisions.  We get the risk, they get the reward if there is one.    

• Like 1