OFFICIAL CLUB STATEMENT REGARDING LIAM SHAW

We should not be putting Liam Shaw in the shop window for clubs when he only has a year left on his contract.

Simple as that. You prepare for all eventualities and do everything possible to ensure the club are protected financially.

Nobody can say that we’ve done that in this instance. Just like nobody can say we did that in Hirst’s case. Or for that matter the number of players who have been signed for good money and been allowed to run down their contracts and leave for free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You're honestly trying to find excuses for a process that is the absolute NORM at any other football club mate

I know your usual stance is simply to stand and windmill off any criticism of the chairman and on many occasions you have a point

But trying to find any positives in our youngsters even wanting to clear off never mind the contract situation allowing it to happen so easily just doesn't make sense to me

But you don't answer the question I pose.  If I was an agent with a decent youngster on the books, I would want to listen to all offers available, surely that is the best business plan.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, prowl said:

Shaw is a Wednesday supporter customer so he's obviously at fault as far as DC is concerned.

To sweeten our contract offer, we chucked in a stuffed dinosaur and tape measure from the club shop, thinking it'd be enough to sway him

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Investigating this matter??

What a transfer?

Who issue statements like this for a player leaving?

Unbelievable

Yep. Why do we have to investigate?

The one thing DC should be investigating and sorting is his terrible recruitment and contract policy which opens us up consistently to situations like this. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

If we valued him correctly, the player and agent would sign the contract

Would you have signed Clare on a long term contract?  I would have on what I saw, was quite impressed with him and was expecting him to progress his career.  

Just don't think its thats straight forward to make a judgement on a youngster.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

What is there to investigate? Its his right to sign a pre contract.

...didnt the club realise he could no this in the last 6 month of his contract??

This may be said in jest but lets be honest with our contract strategy at the club this statement is a real possibility.

To protect itself it could start running things properly with regards to contracts not allowing youngsters to run into the last 12 months of there contracts and or play in the first team etc as most well run clubs do but this has to start at home not be investigated once hes signed for someone else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Would you have signed Clare on a long term contract?  I would have on what I saw, was quite impressed with him and was expecting him to progress his career.  

Similarly some players (and managers) click at certain clubs and don't at others

If a player is progressing well at your club under your system/regime/coaching then YES get them on a long contract and continue their development

Sean Clare could have been amazing here - helped us succeed - and we could have grown his value and sold him for a big profit

He might have been rubbish too - but the signs were he was showing real potential here

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

If the club / chairman IS going to undertake an emergency investigation into anything it should be what the processes, progression plan, opportunities there are for young players at our club and who's responsible for what and sorting that FAST because god knows we are going to need this to be right in the coming years

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not that it matters, but yes, I would have done, absolutely. I'd have offered him a 3-year deal on a bog standard League One salary, based on the fact he had had a decent League Two followed by League One loan spell. I'd have structured it so there were wage rises after x number of games played with performance incentives, but a bog standard League One salary for the most part.

Looking at his career, it probably would have been a bit of a swing and a miss in terms of how "good" he's turned out, but it wouldn't have wasted anywhere near as much money as other players we've had at the club, and at the end of the day, it looks like odds are decent he could be playing against us next season. 

Perversely (and far more ideally in this alternate reality), it's turned out that maybe he would just be one less League One signing we'd need to make and we could just extend his contract.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

If the club / chairman IS going to undertake an emergency investigation into anything it should be what the processes, progression plan, opportunities there are for young players at our club and who's responsible for what and sorting that FAST because god knows we are going to need this to be right in the coming years

Don't you understand?  Football clubs can't plan over that kind of timeframe because they don't know what division they will be in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We should not be putting Liam Shaw in the shop window for clubs when he only has a year left on his contract.

Your premise is flawed: Shaw always had just one year left on his contact, because we only gave him a 12 month contract!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Don't you understand?  Football clubs can't plan over that kind of timeframe because they don't know what division they will be in.

I think that is where buying and Selling come into it. You move divisions and you move on players who are too good or not good enough. Chansiri has no idea about selling players, he just waits until their contract runs down.

16 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

This is where communication between the chairman and the coaches is vital. If the coaches say in their opinion a player has the potential to become a first team player and an asset to the club you don't let his contract run out. 

This is what baffles me. Any player with the potential to play in the first team should not have his contract in the last 12 to 18 months !!!

Im not 100% sure but this year i believe Brennan, Galvin Shaw, Rice, Thompson and Waldock all made there debuts in the first team... and Hunt Shaw and Urgehide all played a more prominent role after making a appearance or two last year. Yet all of them are out of contract this year.

Would it not have been more prudent at the BEGINNING of this season to extend all of these by a year or two depending on club expectation. Now im not saying all of these will make it, infact the opposite maybe one will maybe more but the majority of them probably wont. However, during the season if any of them show promise in the first team (as Shaw has) we are then in a much stronger position to negotiate a new contract with us. So for example we give Shaw a longer contract on a enhanced wage with incentives for him to get a increase should he continue to progress, with other clubs who are interested (like Celtic) only able to speak to him should they agree a fee with us.