League 1 or League 2

So I have resigned to the thought of getting relegated this season and now am wondering if we will go to league 2. To be honest, our good players if we have any will most likely go. Most of our squad will leave this summer. Our chairman is terrible. What are our chances in league 1 then? 

Just now, Jamie_W said:

We will do well to consolidate, we'll have an entirely new squad, we won't know what's hit us. We aren't going to trounce everyone and win the league.

Yep, I’m quite pessimistic about Wednesday getting through next season comfortably. 

• Like 1

Although there are some fairly big teams in league one, we will be one of the biggest teams.  I would presume that we should have one of the largest budgets, there are always a few teams in league one that are punching above their weight to get into league one and totally flop so I dont think relegation should be an issue but we have a lot to do in the summer.   I think it all depends on the manager, if we have another Monk summer signing spree then we are going to struggle but hopefully we can attract some decent loans so I think mid table will be obtainable, I really dont think we will be fighting for promotion for a good few years though.

Saying that I did think last season if we didnt go down we would go down this season and I still think if we dont go down this season we will next season so might as well get it over and done with and start the rebuilding process.

• Like 1

I’ve said it for a while, that I fear the worse for this football club, I think relegation this year will also see is relegated again within the next few seasons. 

I personally think the only way to stop this is for the chairman to sell us on. However, I think that he is extremely stubborn and will be happy to see us just rot.  Chansiri has well and truly given up on us. I may be pessimistic but will we have a club soon? 

I think a season or two of L1 mid table obscurity lays ahead. Unless of course there is a points deduction or transfer embargo, then we might go lower. 

League one is no picnic that’s for sure! I think we’ve got the bones of an L1 squad once all of the big earners have gone but only a mid table one. Promotion will take money, patience and most importantly a plan. Not things we have shown to have much of. 

• Like 1

DM has the rest of season to get the information he needs for rebuilding before next season. 

I hope I right. I think we have the best management now to get us straight out of the division. DM has been with Doncaster and been doing well. If we go down we have a manager who is proven recently to be a good candidate for building a promotion team 

4 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

DM has the rest of season to get the information he needs for rebuilding before next season. 

I hope I right. I think we have the best management now to get us straight out of the division. DM has been with Doncaster and been doing well. If we go down we have a manager who is proven recently to be a good candidate for building a promotion team 

Yes, agreed, but we’re assuming that DC sticks with Moore and doesn’t replace him with some unknown foreign manager with no or little experience of the English game 

47 minutes ago, Wednesdayite... said:

So I have resigned to the thought of getting relegated this season and now am wondering if we will go to league 2. To be honest, our good players if we have any will most likely go. Most of our squad will leave this summer. Our chairman is terrible. What are our chances in league 1 then? 

I wouldn't worry about it, we don't have many and they certainly aren't worth crying over if they go. They don't care about the club so why should we care about them.

18 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

Yes, agreed, but we’re assuming that DC sticks with Moore and doesn’t replace him with some unknown foreign manager with no or little experience of the English game 

Ha ha. Admitted DC is a bit out there but sacking managers without giving them a chance is not really something that he has done before. Actually more like the opposite is DCs track record 

1 hour ago, Wednesdayite... said:

I've said it before, we're doing a Notts County. 

1 hour ago, Wednesdayite... said:

Just out of interest. Who are the 'good players ' 

• Haha 1

Double relegation has been a real concern for me lately with the direction the clubs gone.

If DM however is allowed to build I’m less pessimistic.

Even been toying with putting money on if odds are decent so I can drink to forget I support Shef Wed 

To be honest, what happens on the pitch next season may not be as important as what happens off the pitch.

As it is most likely that we will be in League One, the value and saleability of the Chairman's assets will reduce  even further and the downward spiral continues.

Somebody, somewhere will have to chuck good money after bad to rescue the club. We may well need another Mandaric.