Stuey Gray years

Strange how we all have different memories of our times at Hillsbrough, when I think of Stewart Gray the really awful pitches  springs to mind and maybe its just my imagination but were we a better team playing away?

Oh and sacking him was harsh.

UTO

• Like 2

On 07/03/2021 at 11:42, TheEnchanter said:

One funny stat is that Carlos only won 5 more games than Gray in his first season. Obviously that was enough for 6th place. Guess all those millions for 5 wins was worth it. 

True but 15 points could be the difference between promotion and mid table

• Like 1

I'd take Grays "dull" football for what we have at the minute

We were difficult to beat under him. It wasn't great at times, saying that, I can't remember it being bad as some have said to be honest. I just remember getting results.

We shouldn't have gave him the chop. He should have stayed and moved to coaching capacity if Chansiri wasn't happy with him or his style of play.

He seems to have done well at Fulham alongside Parker.

Think thats another thing we've missed for a while. A good assistant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

We were difficult to beat under him. It wasn't great at times, saying that, I can't remember it being bad as some have said to be honest. I just remember getting results.

We shouldn't have gave him the chop. He should have stayed and moved to coaching capacity if Chansiri wasn't happy with him or his style of play.

I can remember it being bad, absolutely awful to watch, I think we scored something like 17 goals at home all season. What we have now is shambolic but to hark back to this isn't a positive.

On 07/03/2021 at 11:19, HIGHERSTATE said:

Relatively how good did he do now.

His teams were solid as a rock.  Always running and battling.

Although we were almost reliant on a winger, Mguire to get a goal. Sure Atdhe chipped in with a handful.

Sure some fans will moan about lack of goals but thats this place.

He was supported by a smart and pragmatic chairman. If we carried on with those in charge im sure wed be in a better place now.  And I miss that old scoreboard.

A lot of people bemoaned the "boring defencive football" 

Personally I used to love that heart in mouth last ditch backs to the wall defending and wonder saves from Westwood keeping us 1-0 up. 

The nail-biting hanging on for a point or a win. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

He would never have take a coaching role under CC - it was a demotion on all levels, plus he’d have seen CC for what he was, a journeyman with a CV devoid of any consistent level of success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

He would never have take a coaching role under CC - it was a demotion on all levels, plus he’d have seen CC for what he was, a journeyman with a CV devoid of any consistent level of success.

The same journeyman manager who currently has a mid size Portuguese club in league cup final and in contention for a champions league place?

like some others have said, that team would absolutely hammer this current lot. We didn't have much back then, but what we did have was a team who ran their socks off every week and gave it their all. Absolutely all of the credit for that goes to Stuart Gray. I think it does show how poor our recruitment has been to say Hutchinson, Westwood and Tom Lees are still probably first names on the team sheet if they are fit right now. Its quite sad when you think about it. I can't remember us needing such a refresh of players since I've been watching us and  its getting painful.

29 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

The same journeyman manager who currently has a mid size Portuguese club in league cup final and in contention for a champions league place?

I have already posted on this very topic in an earlier thread - can’t remember which, apologies.

Summary tho..

Portuguese league - no marker, probably similar to Dutch, but hardly La Liga .

Contention and final guarantees nothing.

CC got us to the Playoff finals and 2 semis - we won zip.

If he wins the LC Final and guarantees CL footy the case becomes a little stronger but he underachieved here and we are still living with the legacy of those years and spend.

25 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

I have already posted on this very topic in an earlier thread - can’t remember which, apologies.

Summary tho..

Portuguese league - no marker, probably similar to Dutch, but hardly La Liga .

Contention and final guarantees nothing.

CC got us to the Playoff finals and 2 semis - we won zip.

If he wins the LC Final and guarantees CL footy the case becomes a little stronger but he underachieved here and we are still living with the legacy of those years and spend.

Fine if you think the only metric of a decent manager is winning things.

The reality is reaching a final and being in CL contention is success for a club like Braga regardless of the final outcome. 

Just now, NorthernOwl said:

The reality is reaching a final and being in CL contention is success for a club like Braga regardless of the final outcome. 

They did finish 3rd and get to a final last season as well. I don’t think anyone would say he’s overachieved there. It’s about parity.

On 08/03/2021 at 16:07, outlaw pete said:

Strange how we all have different memories of our times at Hillsbrough, when I think of Stewart Gray the really awful pitches  springs to mind and maybe its just my imagination but were we a better team playing away?

Oh and sacking him was harsh.

UTO

We were definitely better away. I remember cracking performances at Brighton, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield, Wigan, Forest... 

Part of the boredom was we kept drawing, but at least that showed we were hard to beat, how many times have we turned one point into none this season?

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

I never said that - it isn’t, but I’d say its a pretty important one