Stuey Gray years

24 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Exactly this.

There was no great opposition to his exit. 

There wasn't much we could do. New owner of a club usually brings in a new manager. It was a brave new world, Sheffield Wednesday with money.

59 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This was the team on the opening day of the 2014/15 season under Gray:

Owls: Westwood, Mattock, Lees, Loovens, Palmer, Maguire, Hutchinson, Lee, Coke, Maghoma (Semedo 81), Nuhiu (Madine 86) 

Westwood still reliant on, our best keeper.

Mattock better than anything we have now at left back. We don’t have one.

Lees and Loovens fantastic partnership. Lees still arguably our best centre back even though it’s clear he misses a good partner next to him.

Palmer still here. But you also had Buxton who was injured at the time. Lewis Buxton far better than Palmer and Odubajo.

Hutchinson still here.

Maguire better than anything we’ve got out wide at the moment.

Maghoma in my opinion a slightly better Kadeem Harris.

Kieran Lee, even now, walks into our midfield. And I’d genuinely take Giles Coke over the current poo in midfield.

Nuhiu light years ahead of what we currently have upfront.

The 14/15 side and the 20/21 side are very similar in terms of financial position. Both squads made up of cast offs and free agents. Difference is we recruited smartly under Gray and Dave Jones. We were well organised and disciplined. 

Our recruitment in the bargain basement recently has been scattergun with no signing made by design. Just players living off past reputations.

So effectively we’ve gone backwards. The 14/15 team would wipe the floor of the current lot in every department. 

Can't disagree much there

Scary

58 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This was the team on the opening day of the 2014/15 season under Gray:

Owls: Westwood, Mattock, Lees, Loovens, Palmer, Maguire, Hutchinson, Lee, Coke, Maghoma (Semedo 81), Nuhiu (Madine 86) 

Westwood still reliant on, our best keeper.

Mattock better than anything we have now at left back. We don’t have one.

Lees and Loovens fantastic partnership. Lees still arguably our best centre back even though it’s clear he misses a good partner next to him.

Palmer still here. But you also had Buxton who was injured at the time. Lewis Buxton far better than Palmer and Odubajo.

Hutchinson still here.

Maguire better than anything we’ve got out wide at the moment.

Maghoma in my opinion a slightly better Kadeem Harris.

Kieran Lee, even now, walks into our midfield. And I’d genuinely take Giles Coke over the current poo in midfield.

Nuhiu light years ahead of what we currently have upfront.

The 14/15 side and the 20/21 side are very similar in terms of financial position. Both squads made up of cast offs and free agents. Difference is we recruited smartly under Gray and Dave Jones. We were well organised and disciplined. 

Our recruitment in the bargain basement recently has been scattergun with no signing made by design. Just players living off past reputations.

So effectively we’ve gone backwards. The 14/15 team would wipe the floor of the current lot in every department. 

Amazing that almost 7 years on, we would have played four of those eleven at Reading had Westwood been fit.  

Gray was a record breaker alright.  0-0 at halftime v Man C in lge cup.  0-7 at end. We've never conceded 7 in one half as far as I know.  We'll never know how he would have fared with some money.  Doesn't seem like the coach buys the players at our club.  Carlos obviously didn't, as he rarely played new signings.  

3 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

There's a case for saying that our decline began the moment he was dismissed. I've been called out for saying the unsayable in the past, but IMO his squad punched above it's weight while his replacements squad punched below it. There, I said it again.

If only Chansiri had given him the chance to work with a bigger budget.............

Gray never got a chance under DC, so one can only speculate how he’d have done.  

However he made us very solid if somewhat functional but IMO had he been given the opportunity to improve the squad instead of CC I see no reason to believe he’d have struggled  - we just needed some quality and finesse to take us forward.

What also gets overlooked is he would also have known was needed to improve us, something CC never really seemed to  - proving so costly in the end.

There are always key decisions that are turning points and replacing Gray with CC was one of them.

• Like 2

Crazy thing is that we went mad when we scored.  We could see the players were working really hard but generally struggled to find the net.  And with mm there was a nervous hope that something at last might happen.  Damm thats quite depressing where we are now.

Same really as Turner/Sturrock

Sturrock did the magic with, mostly Turners team. Turner couldn’t buy a win and we were heading for another crap league one season before Sturrock replaced him.

Id love to have Gray back here. Just not as a manager. Maybe a DoF

• Haha 1

Amazing the number of people slating Gray for the football being dull while conveniently ignoring the state the pitch was in during his time in charge. I defy anyone to get a team playing good stuff on the cabbage patch we played on that season.

Carlos was very lucky that we installed the swanky new pitch at the same time that he came in. The fact that he improved the football was partially down to him, yes, but the key players in changing our style were Hunt, Bannan, Lee, Wallace, Forestieri and Hooper - Gray had only one of them.

The way SG's team punched above its weight made me about as proud to follow Wednesday as any team we've put out since. I'd kill to have him back here, but he's far too sensible to come near us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

People always seem to put the rose tinted's on when discussing this:

The ground was falling to bits, the pitch was like a ploughed field, MM appeared not to be prepared to prop up the debts anymore.

The football was dull as hell with very few goals scored, we had some decent early season away form that gave us a bit of a platform, I know a few ST holders who were not planning to renew, so whilst it doesn't match the shambles we are in at the minute it certainly wasn't a time to look back on with fondness. 

Having said that SG was a good guy who should have been kept on in a coaching role.