Stuey Gray years

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s quite an amazing stat. Guess the point is, did we really need to spend all those millions? Carlos obviously didn’t think so, because he regularly sent out a side in which only Forestieri or Hooper, cost a fee. Imagine what we could have achieved, were those millions better spent

The transfer strategy in 15/16 was a mix. Foreign punts - Matais and Joao, and loan of Lopez which were all good business - we should have kept Lopez in my view and cashed in on Matais when we had the chance.

Hunt, Pudil and Hooper were excellent loans, but in the case of Hooper came with a big salary but fitted in well and complement the team balance.

BB & Ross Wallace were excellent free transfers but again came at an increased salary to what we were use to.

FF was the marquee signing and, for me was good value in this season.

I think the accounts for 15/16 just kept us within FFP. It wasn't until the infamous January 17 transfer window that it all unraveled.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

It was some of the worst sh*t I’ve seen, very similar to now.

Whats the difference? The attitude and application of the players 

This, at least under Gray we knew that was the best the players could achieve for their talents and wages.  

Now we have players with a greater reputation and higher wage putting in awful performances.  Something close to fraud 

3 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Id definatly take dull over what we have now if it meant picking up points.

Gray had Westwood, Lees and Loovens, which CC certainly benefited from in his two seasons at the club. 

This was the team on the opening day of the 2014/15 season under Gray:

Owls: Westwood, Mattock, Lees, Loovens, Palmer, Maguire, Hutchinson, Lee, Coke, Maghoma (Semedo 81), Nuhiu (Madine 86) 

Westwood still reliant on, our best keeper.

Mattock better than anything we have now at left back. We don’t have one.

Lees and Loovens fantastic partnership. Lees still arguably our best centre back even though it’s clear he misses a good partner next to him.

Palmer still here. But you also had Buxton who was injured at the time. Lewis Buxton far better than Palmer and Odubajo.

Hutchinson still here.

Maguire better than anything we’ve got out wide at the moment.

Maghoma in my opinion a slightly better Kadeem Harris.

Kieran Lee, even now, walks into our midfield. And I’d genuinely take Giles Coke over the current poo in midfield.

Nuhiu light years ahead of what we currently have upfront.

The 14/15 side and the 20/21 side are very similar in terms of financial position. Both squads made up of cast offs and free agents. Difference is we recruited smartly under Gray and Dave Jones. We were well organised and disciplined. 

Our recruitment in the bargain basement recently has been scattergun with no signing made by design. Just players living off past reputations.

So effectively we’ve gone backwards. The 14/15 team would wipe the floor of the current lot in every department. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Guest Therealrealist
13 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Those games pale into insignificance compared to a lot of games under Jos and Monk.

And Pulis and Moore..

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This was the team on the opening day of the 2014/15 season under Gray:

Owls: Westwood, Mattock, Lees, Loovens, Palmer, Maguire, Hutchinson, Lee, Coke, Maghoma (Semedo 81), Nuhiu (Madine 86) 

Westwood still reliant on, our best keeper.

Mattock better than anything we have now at left back. We don’t have one.

Lees and Loovens fantastic partnership. Lees still arguably our best centre back even though it’s clear he misses a good partner next to him.

Palmer still here. But you also had Buxton who was injured at the time. Lewis Buxton far better than Palmer and Odubajo.

Hutchinson still here.

Maguire better than anything we’ve got out wide at the moment.

Maghoma in my opinion a slightly better Kadeem Harris.

Kieran Lee, even now, walks into our midfield. And I’d genuinely take Giles Coke over the current poo in midfield.

Nuhiu light years ahead of what we currently have upfront.

The 14/15 side and the 20/21 side are very similar in terms of financial position. Both squads made up of cast offs and free agents. Difference is we recruited smartly under Gray and Dave Jones. We were well organised and disciplined. 

Our recruitment in the bargain basement recently has been scattergun with no signing made by design. Just players living off past reputations.

So effectively we’ve gone backwards. The 14/15 team would wipe the floor of the current lot in every department. 

Well, that is one of the most depressing things I’ve learned in a while and I thought things were bad enough already!

And some fans think Chansiri has been unlucky and needs more time to get it right.  I despair 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

To be fair, despite Chansiris loyalty to Carlos, Luhukay  etc when things turned sour,as he cited the "WEDNESDAY FAMILY"

SG wasn't given the same was he?

He wasn't 'his man'. I imagine DC saw Gray as being MM's and wanted to stamp his mark on the club, the manager appointment and players. Because he had no knowledge about football, he relied on people with vested interest to influence the decisions. The club advisors were apparently talking to Dan Petrescu whilst Gray was still at the club and he turned the role down so we were left scrambling around and ended up with CC a few weeks before the season started.

• Like 1

If Stuart Gray were manager, we would never have spent millions on players without application, and instead probably hundreds of thousands on players with integrity and hard-working ethic.

We would probably have never had our day out at Wembley. We probably wouldn't have racked up £20 million losses in a season and subsequently got a points deduction and be effectively penniless.

Unfortunately there was no place from someone as honest and pragmatic as Stuart Gray in Dejphon Chansiri's Sheffield Wednesday, and I fear there never will be.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

If Stuart Gray were manager, we would never have spent millions on players without application, and instead probably hundreds of thousands on players with integrity and hard-working ethic.

We would probably have never had our day out at Wembley. We probably wouldn't have racked up £20 million losses in a season and subsequently got a points deduction and be effectively penniless.

Unfortunately there was no place from someone as honest and pragmatic as Stuart Gray in Dejphon Chansiri's Sheffield Wednesday, and I fear there never will be.

I don’t think Stuart Gray would have had any say in the signings. Like I doubt Carlos had much say.

Remember when we just out of the blue signed Sergiu Bus and Felipe Melo when Chansiri first took over? Stuart Gray wouldn’t have had a clue who they were.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I don’t think Stuart Gray would have had any say in the signings. Like I doubt Carlos had much say.

Remember when we just out of the blue signed Sergiu Bus and Felipe Melo when Chansiri first took over? Stuart Gray wouldn’t have had a clue who they were.

Can't disagree, I suppose musing that if Gray had been in charge we wouldn't have been in this mess is just a proxy for "if DC had put a proper structure in place all our managers would have had better players at their disposal".

I long for the alternate reality where the highest salary we were willing to pay was capped at whatever FF was earning in the play off final and we didn't have that chuffing disastrous recruitment window of Fletcher, Urby et al where we undid years of groundwork with SG and a good 11 months from CC.

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

One funny stat is that Carlos only won 5 more games than Gray in his first season. Obviously that was enough for 6th place. Guess all those millions for 5 wins was worth it. 

True but when you consider how tight the division is and rh fact that 5 more wins is 15 more points it's actually more significant

The football under Gray was pretty dull especially in that second season but he got the most out of limited resources and the spine of the team he built for practically nothing - Westwood, Lees, Loovens, Hutchinson and Lee - was a wonderful legacy.

With the possible exception of Iorfa I don’t think we’ve signed anyone in the last 4 years that’s had the same impact as any one of those guys all signed within a few months of each other and for peanuts. 

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

True but I remember how dull it was and fans were quite frustrated at times. I think people overhype him. 

He was a good bloke and helped build a lovely platform for Carlos. Some of the football was dire though, so many games where we hardly got in the oppositions box. 

Exactly this.

There was no great opposition to his exit. 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Can't disagree, I suppose musing that if Gray had been in charge we wouldn't have been in this mess is just a proxy for "if DC had put a proper structure in place all our managers would have had better players at their disposal".

I long for the alternate reality where the highest salary we were willing to pay was capped at whatever FF was earning in the play off final and we didn't have that chuffing disastrous recruitment window of Fletcher, Urby et al where we undid years of groundwork with SG and a good 11 months from CC.

Yes DC thought it was easy and just had to spend to get promoted. And agents took full advantage of it.

Set us back years and years. With a lot of average, charlatan footballers and agents making an awful lot of money from DC’s reckless spending. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bulgaria said:

Exactly this.

There was no great opposition to his exit. 

I didn’t want Gray to leave. I was disappointed he was given the boot.

Had the pleasure of bumping into Stuart Gray in Portugal. Incredibly knowledgable, down to earth and honest man. 

A massive asset to the football club at the time. He went to Fulham and has been a big part in their promotion successes. 

Proper football person. We needed more of them at the club when DC decided to chuck money at it and gamble with our future. 

• Like 1

To be fair we wasn’t entertaining at all. Even more so at Hillsborough, sure we only won 5 out of 23 games at home! 

But fans accepted that he was squeezing the best out of that team. We was a very solid defensive unit but really lacked attacking players that followed the year after and took to the next level but still maintained that solid defensive unit. 

Always said I’m surprised he never got another shot at being a manager. I know he’s done excellently as a coach at Fulham but the way he took over a dead and buried side in 13/14 and transformed them without money to being a decent mid table side by the end of 14/15 was quite remarkable. 

• Like 2

Guest Bulgaria
6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I didn’t want Gray to leave. I was disappointed he was given the boot.

Had the pleasure of bumping into Stuart Gray in Portugal. Incredibly knowledgable, down to earth and honest man. 

A massive asset to the football club at the time. He went to Fulham and has been a big part in their promotion successes. 

Proper football person. We needed more of them at the club when DC decided to chuck money at it and gamble with our future. 

Hi Sally.

I don't doubt for one minute he is a nice bloke and a decent defensive coach but his tactics bored the pants off me.

I wanted change.

Apart from that one good season under Carlos, the entertainment factor over the past few years is as dull as dishwater.

I am sick and tired of us having managers who's sole aim is not to lose matches rather than trying to win them.

Stuart Gray was one of those.