Stuey Gray years

True but I remember how dull it was and fans were quite frustrated at times. I think people overhype him. 

He was a good bloke and helped build a lovely platform for Carlos. Some of the football was dire though, so many games where we hardly got in the oppositions box. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Relatively how good did he do now.

His teams were solid as a rock.  Always running and battling.

There's a case for saying that our decline began the moment he was dismissed. I've been called out for saying the unsayable in the past, but IMO his squad punched above it's weight while his replacements squad punched below it. There, I said it again.

If only Chansiri had given him the chance to work with a bigger budget.............

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Certainly Gray did a good job, but it was Carlos who showed us what might be possible. Could he have done it without the groundwork done by Gray? Definitely not, and he acknowledged that, and his best sides always included half of Gray’s side

• Like 4

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Certainly Gray did a good job, but it was Carlos who showed us what might be possible. Could he have done it without the groundwork done by Gray? Definitely not, and he acknowledged that, and his best sides always included half of Gray’s side

One funny stat is that Carlos only won 5 more games than Gray in his first season. Obviously that was enough for 6th place. Guess all those millions for 5 wins was worth it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

One funny stat is that Carlos only won 5 more games than Gray in his first season. Obviously that was enough for 6th place. Guess all those millions for 5 wins was worth it. 

It's a good point. I mean if Gray had some money to spend, would he have turned us into a very defensive promotion candidate?

Warning signs early for me were signing McGugan who had been great under Gray then CC not being at all interested in him.

Imagine if Gray had a full season with a player like him?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You could see watching us under Gray that he was a really good coach. Solid, organised and hard working.

But we didnt spend enough money at the time to give us that extra spark to make games good to watch.

Think Gray put foundations in place that allowed club to add to that season after that took us to play off final.

Once foundations were ignored and we were more interested in marquee signings is where our problems began.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

That’s quite an amazing stat. Guess the point is, did we really need to spend all those millions? Carlos obviously didn’t think so, because he regularly sent out a side in which only Forestieri or Hooper, cost a fee. Imagine what we could have achieved, were those millions better spent

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He was extremely dull, I don't think getting rid of him was a mistake, in fact CC probably got more credit than he deserved as we had been used to such dull football before him. 

Agreed, his press conferences were matched by the performances on the pitch.  And I felt when the new owner came in that he should be replaced, my mistake was thinking our new owner knew what he was doing.  Carlos did okay, but there’s no doubt that you give £30m to the likes of Hughton, McCarthy, Warnock, Bruce, Jokanovic etc at the time and we would have been promoted with that level of investment 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

It's a good point. I mean if Gray had some money to spend, would he have turned us into a very defensive promotion candidate?

Warning signs early for me were signing McGugan who had been great under Gray then CC not being at all interested in him.

Imagine if Gray had a full season with a player like him?

I think Mc Gugan would have gone off the rails whover was in charge, he's done it everywhere. I'm a big fan of Grays because we couldn't buy a win under Jones and SG turned it round. Over time we became hard to beat,and well drilled. It must be remembered he did it on a shoestring. If you have no money you have to become defensive. Defenders are cheaper than attackers.

Would SG have done well under DC? I would say yes but there is one niggle at the back of my mind that brings in a doubt. If my memory serves he sold Antonio  to buy Stevie May. Maybe he just couldn't pick a decent attacker.

Grey’s football was dull at times but he had next to nothing as a transfer budget. Remember us all saying ‘What sort of player can we get for £300,000’  If Gray had been given the money that Carlos was given I and some time & freedom to spend it I reckon we’d be in a very different position right now. Stuart Gray is one of the most knowledgable people working in English football. Don’t think he’s been out of a job for more than a few weeks in the last 25 years. That’s quite a record in this cut throat business.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prowl said:

I think Mc Gugan would have gone off the rails whover was in charge, he's done it everywhere. I'm a big fan of Grays because we couldn't buy a win under Jones and SG turned it round. Over time we became hard to beat,and well drilled. It must be remembered he did it on a shoestring. If you have no money you have to become defensive. Defenders are cheaper than attackers.

Would SG have done well under DC? I would say yes but there is one niggle at the back of my mind that brings in a doubt. If my memory serves he sold Antonio  to buy Stevie May. Maybe he just couldn't pick a decent attacker.

I never really felt McGugan was given a fair chance under CC but he may well had done yeah. Was it SG decision to sell Antonio? that is the type of thing you forget when you look back fondly! 

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I never really felt McGugan was given a fair chance under CC but he may well had done yeah. Was it SG decision to sell Antonio? that is the type of thing you forget when you look back fondly! 

Antonio couldnt wait to leave.

• Like 1

Gray did an excellent job on limited resources. The core of the squad he signed on free transfers has formed the spine of the squad for the years under Carlos and beyond. The likes of Westwood, Lees and Hutchinson were fantastic signings. Puts the recruitment under DC to shame. Fact is we relied on those three for years and still do now to an extent.

Lee and Semedo were great in midfield and both have qualities we lack now. They’d both walk into our current team at their pomp. 

It was a team made up of cheap loans and free agents. Similar to what we are now. But Gray and Jones assembled a much better side, got them organised, hard to beat and could spot a player.

Light years ahead of the clowns in charge of our recruitment now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2