Players names on shirts

As a kid, always had a players name on the back of me new shirt for the season, without fail!

Always loved getting me new shirt with the club catalogue enclosed.

Anybody ever had any questionable players names on their shirts before? Oh, go on then, I'll start, I had this very shirt, with Tidman on the back....before I'd even seen him play that is!

He looks like he's watching his parents have intercourse in this picture.

gettyimages-681148372-1024x1024.jpg

• Haha 6

I remember being over the moon when presented with my new shirt with WARHURST 7. I wore it for 2 days solid. 

Then he buggered off to Blackburn the next day. I’m 41 this year, and haven’t felt hurt like it since. 

Edited by Matt-The-Owl
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, TbagMcgraw said:

As a kid, always had a players name on the back of me new shirt for the season, without fail!

Always loved getting me new shirt with the club catalogue enclosed.

Anybody ever had any questionable players names on their shirts before? Oh, go on then, I'll start, I had this very shirt, with Tidman on the back....before I'd even seen him play that is!

He looks like he's watching his parents have intercourse in this picture.

gettyimages-681148372-1024x1024.jpg

Did you, as a kid of course, get knocked out by a breath of fresh air? 
lol 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, LetsMoveOn said:

Only ever had ‘Hirst’ on the back of my shirt, but for me its something just for kids or teenagers. I wouldn’t dream of having a footballers name on the back of my shirt at the age of 45. 

Unpopular opinion but I find it so cringy when full grown adults wear football tops at matches 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Unpopular opinion but I find it so cringy when full grown adults wear football tops at matches 

I think the club related stuff like polo shirts and t-shirts are fine but replica shirts on anyone over 30 looks ridiculous. Especially when they quite obviously don't fit.

I had HYDE on a shirt back in '93.

The only time I've ever done it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bobness said:

98/99 yellow away strip with Jonk 4 on the back. Thought he'd be amazing, given he'd just featured for Holland in the world cup, plus it was only 4 letters! Bargain! 

:duntmatter:

I had the exact same. Cheapest name to have plus it was a big signing for us at the time. 

1 hour ago, Wing Back said:

I think the club related stuff like polo shirts and t-shirts are fine but replica shirts on anyone over 30 looks ridiculous. Especially when they quite obviously don't fit.

I had HYDE on a shirt back in '93.

The only time I've ever done it.

Hello Graham 

• Like 1

Don't remember ever having a wednesday player on the back of a shirt to be honest. Not sure why. 

Only time I ever remember having a name on the back of a shirt was an old Rangers shirt that a family friend bought for me that had McCoist on the back and also an England shirt with Beckham on it in 2006 I think. 

I also had Kuqi on my new cream away shirt, and Owusu on the home....and they both buggered off after about 3 games into the new season. 

Vividly remember wearing thatOwusu shirt away at Swindon on a baking hot opening day, when that skinhead nutcase came on the pitch with his top off and tried to attack Owusu!!

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The club should promote shirts from bygone eras with player names on like Sheridan, Waddle, Sterland etc 

Yeah, totally agree!

'This is the terrace' do some amazing products, and retro shirts, and we have a small section on our tripe online store (Mr Tom beanie hat for example), but its not prominent enough and we obviously don't sell the cool shirts, as Chansiri would want his sponsor on the front, and his name and number on the back!

I was buzzing when we signed Darko Kovacevic. Had that on, but it was a kids size shirt & the letters were a standard size. His squad number was 18, it didn’t fit so I just had 8. A few people made confused comments to me about it so I stopped wearing it & never had a players name on again