Barry Bannan being subbed off

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, TheSlicer said:

I personally think Bannan has signed the contract so that the club can get something for him. In return he would have got a signing on fee, good wages, and a release clause. All their wages will decrease upon relegation, and he will be confident that he will get somewhere else.

him and his mrs have only recently moved to Sheffield mind. 

I still don’t really get it though if that’s the plan. If we’ve given him the same wages as before that’s clearly too much for league 1. Any buying club will come in and say ‘well he’s 31 and worth about £1m as a championship player.. but you desperately want him off your books as he’s on 20k a week so we’ll take him for a nominal fee or just release him and we’ll cover the wages’

Theres also the risk that he gets injured or can’t move for whatever reason and then we’re stuck with those wages.

There has to be more to the plan than just saying sign the contract and we’ll let you go when we get relegated 

Personally still think he'll move on. Him signing his new deal effectively guarantees some money for him in the summer. Something he didn't to do and will be appreciated in time possibly.

But I don't see him being part of Wednesday's squad next season in League One.

8 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Personally still think he'll move on. Him signing his new deal effectively guarantees some money for him in the summer. Something he didn't to do and will be appreciated in time possibly.

But I don't see him being part of Wednesday's squad next season in League One.

His contract announcement was 100% purely an emergency positive PR exercise 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

People looking (deliberately) for stuff that simply isn't there

Managers since I was a kid have told of times they've apologised to a player for taking them off for tactical reasons

But yeah - go head and try and use to to attack a brand new manager in his first week if it makes you feel good

Personally I think it's a bit tacky to do so

I 100% agree with you, but I remember certain people attacking a previous manager after a very short time in charge, which like you said was tacky

I think Moore listened to the staff that were there and followed their recommendations. I think he's also seen what he has available to him.

Baz has never been seen as a central mid at any other club...central mids are part of a strong spine. Baz also isn't a ball winner and so he can't play wide left in midfield...he's a bit of a luxury. So even if his stats are great and even if he is lauded by many as our best player, that isn't translating into points. Baz was great when he had great players around him in 2016...but as they've been moved on he is much less effective.

It's a team of misfits and there isn't a really great combination available to Moore...whatever squad we put out we have weaknesses. We don't have any real 'winners' in the squad apart from Hutch, Urhoghide and Shaw. The rest are too 'nice' on and off the pitch.

• Like 2

I think Bannan is here to stay. Why would he sign a contract when he could negotiate better terms with a club if he was out of contract? Doesn’t make sense to me.

He just seems a loyal lad to me and who has just had a baby and is settled in the area.

I expect all the other high earners to leave tho. 

13 hours ago, SiJ said:

Quite. 

Bannan is a good player when things are going well. 

He is absolutely useless when we are under the cosh and struggling. 

He’s also not a captain in that scenario. He’s very much a finger pointer and not a galvaniser. If both Bannan and Moore are here for the start of next season then I will put my mortgage on him not being captain.

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

His contract announcement was 100% purely an emergency positive PR exercise 

Indeed. Also if you watch Bannan's interview it's a goodbye in my opinion.

If I were him I'd have done what I could to leave in January.

16 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I still don’t really get it though if that’s the plan. If we’ve given him the same wages as before that’s clearly too much for league 1. Any buying club will come in and say ‘well he’s 31 and worth about £1m as a championship player.. but you desperately want him off your books as he’s on 20k a week so we’ll take him for a nominal fee or just release him and we’ll cover the wages’

Theres also the risk that he gets injured or can’t move for whatever reason and then we’re stuck with those wages.

There has to be more to the plan than just saying sign the contract and we’ll let you go when we get relegated 

He genuinely loves the club and wants to stay.

pretty sure there is a cap on wages in league 1