Barry Bannan being subbed off

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Why the hell is the manager apologising to a player he has taken off? 

Bannan got pulled off, was cheesed off and walked off the pitch obviously in a mood

So the manager probably just said "I Know you're disappointed. It wasn't anything to do with your performance so I'm sorry we had to take you off but it was tactical"

Totally run of the mill normal management and normal run of the mill process

Nothing to see here at all

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

he didnt look as disappointed as cresswell did when he  got subbed after 30 seconds of the new season back in 2000

That was exactly the moment I was thinking of... it's probably what Cresswell's most remembered for here.

Anyway, I suspect the apology was more about sympathising with Bazza that he's going to have DM's hairdo in about 18 months...

Pisstakes aside, it was either taking an AM off or switching to a 4-1-3-1 (or a 3-2-3-1) and risking an absolute shoeing. The mistake was failing to drill into the defence to stay deep and make sure they stayed on the pitch...

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Bannan got pulled off, was cheesed off and walked off the pitch obviously in a mood

So the manager probably just said "I Know you're disappointed. It wasn't anything to do with your performance so I'm sorry we had to take you off but it was tactical"

Totally run of the mill normal management and normal run of the mill process

Nothing to see here at all

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

Never complain, never explain...

...unless you sub Bannan in which you need to go public with your thought process.

Games gone.

Yeah Moore called a press conference specifically to tell everyone he'd got down on his knees and apologised to Barry Bannan

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Yeah Moore called a press conference specifically to tell everyone he'd got down on his knees and apologised to Barry Bannan

Tbf, he'd probably have to sit on the floor to be at the same height as Barry. 

Bannan is the only player I've seen where the ball bounced over his head...except it was after the ball had bounced for a second time. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

At least we can look forward to a Tweet justifying every sub that is made.

Two games in and Moore's already being cuckolded.

Said it on Monday morning, feel sorry for the bloke.

Will only end one way.

Do fear he might be a bit too nice. 

These players have shafted plenty of managers previously and have downed tools when their "mates" like Bullen and Thommo have taken the reigns. 

Okay - enough's enough

Stop with this absolute nonsense attacking the new manager please

Like I said, feel sorry for the bloke.

But next time you start a thread please state what narrative you want your replies to be and I'll do my best to match them if thats what you're suggesting.

1 minute ago, Arthur Bach said:

Like I said, feel sorry for the bloke.

But next time you start a thread please state what narrative you want your replies to be and I'll do my best to match them if thats what you're suggesting.

You can have whatever opinion you want

But come on - we've got a new manager in place and you're already throwing around stuff like that in his first week?
Just think it's a bit OTT and sad
Like I say though - if you want to do that go ahead - I won't applaud anyone doing something like that though

Darren Moore deserves and needs backing not slating in his first week 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

You can have whatever opinion you want

But come on - we've got a new manager in place and you're already throwing around stuff like that in his first week?
Just think it's a bit OTT and sad
Like I say though - if you want to do that go ahead - I won't applaud anyone doing something like that though

Then our idea of hierachial structures in football must differ because the sanctity and integrity of management have been further eroded with the disclosure that a manager apologised for making a substitution.

That brings up two points:

1. Moore doubted the substitution and/or was conflicted because of who it was that he was bringing off.

2. Said player deserves special treatment not extended to other members of the squad - captain or otherwise.

Graham Taylor was roundly lambasted for substituting Lineker in Euro 92 but never felt compelled or obliged to publicly justify his actions.

It brings the conclusion that the substitution was NOT the wrong thing to do but publicly apologising to the player raises doubts on superiority and trust in a man who has been in the job less than a week.

I'm struggling to see who is actually at the wheel here.

• Like 2

I'll not pretend I'm happy with the appointment of Moore (although, this is DC, after all), but I don't really see a problem with him saying that he was apologetic to Bannan for bringing him off.

It's obvious to me why he was apologizing anyway; not for subbing him off, as such, but for subbing him off due to some other team-mate's error. That's the clear and obvious context here. Why make more of it than that?

"why did you take Bannan off Darren" 

"Well we went a man down" ..

However prior to this our captain and gamemaker spent most of the time up to the sending off trying to hitch up his captain's armband which kept slipping down his arm (it's actually made to fit a bigger player) 

And the rest of the time chasing around like a headless chicken...

So if you want to call it a tactical substitution well yeah ....

The guy was "dying" in front of our eyes I felt embarrassed for him"  .....

"There's a massive job here to do etc etc" 

"We need bigger forward leaning  players"..

"We are going in the wrong direction"...

• Like 1