How can football win back the generation lost by lockdown?

In terms of 20 year periods, then no, I don't believe there's been any worse than now.  In terms of periods, then I think 70-84 was the worst.

I don't mind if Wednesday are a bit poo, it's life, it's sport.  I just wish we were poo and trying not to be poo.

Guest Andy W
32 minutes ago, Watto said:

Of all the big clubs in the football league has anyone faired worse than Wednesday in the last 20 years , we've been relegated to league one twice ( 3 if we go down this season) and only finished in the top 6 twice in the championship.

This has to be the club's worst run in a 20 year period in our history , closest 1970 - 1990 but we spent 6 seasons in the top flight.

I dont remember worse..especially if you look at the standard of players we have against wages being paid. These players are a very poor standard and will get us relegated

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

My kids don’t watch us when we’re on TV, whereas it used to be a big deal for me and my brothers when we were on at comparable ages. Always imagined my lad especially would sit with me and watch us, either at the ground or on TV. Can’t get him off the sodding computer though 😢

I see the same in my kids, they have pretty much lost interest in the games on TV. But in fairness that hasn't really worried me, like yourself as a kid me and my brother were glued to football on TV. But this was pre-internet and there were only 3 then 4 channels to actually watch on TV.  Kid's now are bombarded with alternative options  and have more interests running alongside each other. In fairness many of these are more appealing to them than watching something with the atmosphere of a training match where we play rubbish football and get hammered. Plus they see on social media hundreds of bed wetting grown men crying away after every loss, stating they are done with the club etc etc, so it adds, in my opinion, to the view these things are disposable. Even inside the ground I wonder why some folk have bothered, they are more interested on betting on their phones that lifting their heads in the direction of the pitch.

But my kids love a match day, and I think that's more than just the 90 minutes of the match, it certainly is to me. I wake up buzzing on a match day I love everything about it (Well apart from the result sometimes). I don't have any worries that when we get back we won't just pick up where we left off.

• Like 1

I think a lot of clubs Portsmouth, Bolton, Sunderland and Ipswich have had a bit of a fall from grace.

Leeds as well have had some pretty low periods last 20 years.

Think with the huge finances involved clubs taking gambles are putting more at risk than they were in past eras.

So when they lose that gamble like Wednesday the fall is more severe.

Edited by matthefish2002

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think a lot of clubs Portsmouth, Bolton, Sunderland and Ipswich have had a bit of a fall from grace.

Leeds as well have had some pretty low periods last 20 years.

Think with the huge finances involved clubs taking gambles are putting more at risk than they were in past eras.

So when they lose that gamble like Wednesday the fall is more severe.

Those clubs you've mentioned have all been in the PL over the last 20 years, competed in Europe and played in cup finals whilst we've languished outside the top flight. Closest club to us in terms of size and failure to get back is Nottingham Forest. 

• Like 2

Guest Therealrealist

A lot of teenagers have got the same mindset as izzy brown thses days..theyd rather play fifa than be at the match

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

It does

It doesn't.

Football missed 7 seasons from 1939-1946.

We haven't missed football for even one whole season because of SKY and Ifollow.

I appreciate it's an exciting thread title but it doesn't reflect reality.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

It does

It doesn't

Generation - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Generation

A generation is "all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively." It can also be described as, "the average period, generally considered to be about 20–⁠30 years, during which children are born and grow up, become adults, and begin to have children."

If it were up to me I'd:

- Play four friendly games over the summer, all at home, and free admittance. Have a training session on the pitch before each game for fans to watch.

- Instead of having one owls in the park, have two. Both having different things, and the second one including a new kit launch, and it being on sale asap. In fact, have both on the day of a friendly match, so people have a reason to stick around.

- Get those popular local Youtubers to have a meet and greet day during owls in the park (I don't know any, but if you are trying to get younger people interested then this could help.)  

- Get local workplaces involved like the bassets factory. Even run a jobsfair. If you really want to get people back into the habit, then it needs to include pigs fans too. There needs to be a reason for everyone to take part, not just our club.

- Could have an option where if a person decides to buy half a ticket, the club will match that offer, and the tickets will be given to disadvantaged people.

- Actually use the gym at the stadium to run things for the older generation, or people who are socially isolated such as; weekly craft sessions, coffee mornings etc.

• Like 1