How can football win back the generation lost by lockdown?

Would some kind of loyalty card work for pay on the gate customers?

Say for every 200 pounds spent on admission you were credited 25 pounds onto a personalised loyalty card.

For someone attending every home game in a season this would equate to around 100 pounds.

This credit though must then be spent in the club shop or in the bar.

It could give someone a couple of free pints before each game or if they spend it in the shop on club merchandise it may help increase the awareness of the club around the city.

My youngest and middle daughters have lost interest in watching the empty stadium games...they still watch some through.  But I think the combination of the lack of atmosphere and us being totally dog wee have combined. They used to watch other matches on sky, championship and prem, and stuff like match of the day etc, and that has totally dropped off. But both can't wait till we can get back to games both home and away, the latter probably as we make a night or weekend of those we can. They ain't lost to the sport, its just been a bit rubbish for a while.  As my 12 year old said to me a couple of weeks ago 'it's in my blood'. 

• Like 1

Re engage and become a greater part of our community,,,,,game has been taken away from us,but globally the love of the game has never been greater,,,,but how often,unlike my day,do you see kids playing football anywhere at the drop of a hat? except on their game console

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Hang on...

let's be reyt here

I think you're all misunderstanding the question/point

We've had a year of lockdown of people not going to matches

That's a lifetime to some people

People will have bought a new console, got a new Ipad, a new VR headset etc etc and do other things with their time

The ticket prices aren't relevant to this point because the point is a wider one 

Life in general has changed and people have found other ways to live their lives

This isn't necessarily about SWFC or the ticket prices or promotion or winning games

This is about a total lifestyle shift for a generation of fans who (believe it or not) might not be ever tempted back regardless of ticket prices, league position etc

People get a new Console, Ipad, VR Set etc every Christmas mate and low and behold boxing day is still usually one of the biggest days in the football calender. 

Seems like what your actually asking here is how we keep people interested  when we are so sheight at present. I'm sure there are clubs with people who can't wait to see them live again. Us being shitee and lockdown is two separate things happening concurrently.

Edited by Woodyowl450

People aren't going to not come back because we are in league one.

In fact, we are more likely to have fans come back BECAUSE we are in league one.

Fans come to see us winning and scoring. More chance of that in L1 than the Championship next season. I know of no fans that go to games based on which division we are in. It's purely based on entertainment,  which means goals and attacks. 

A 10 year old doesn't care what division we are in, but he or she will be bored and not want to go again if they witness boring, goalless losses.

Seriously, if we are in around the promotion/ play off places in L1 next year,  attendance won't be a problem.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

People aren't going to not come back because we are in league one.

In fact, we are more likely to have fans come back BECAUSE we are in league one.

Fans come to see us winning and scoring. More chance of that in L1 than the Championship next season. I know of no fans that go to games based on which division we are in. It's purely based on entertainment,  which means goals and attacks. 

A 10 year old doesn't care what division we are in, but he or she will be bored and not want to go again if they witness boring, goalless losses.

Seriously, if we are in around the promotion/ play off places in L1 next year,  attendance won't be a problem.  

Before lockdown i went to MK dons a fair bit - nearby, my kids get in free so only costs 20 quid for 3 of us to go.

The quality of football in league 1 is absolutely diabolical.  some of the games down there make our 0-0 v Stoke at home this season look like Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle under Keegan.

It's only a year.

One year doesn't equal a generation!

People are going to go back to doing things they did before when they can. Probably with more enthusiasm because they realise what they've missed.

There's always a drop off of support when any club is relegated.

This won't be any different IMHO.

Of all the big clubs in the football league has anyone faired worse than Wednesday in the last 20 years , we've been relegated to league one twice ( 3 if we go down this season) and only finished in the top 6 twice in the championship.

This has to be the club's worst run in a 20 year period in our history , closest 1970 - 1990 but we spent 6 seasons in the top flight.

i will be back but want all the garbage gone , westwood,palmer van aken lees borner penney reach harris windass brown kachunga and even barry garbage bannan all need to go . let the new manager build a fresh squad and build something like barnsley have done . no more has beens 

2 minutes ago, morganowl said:

i will be back but want all the garbage gone , westwood,palmer van aken lees borner penney reach harris windass brown kachunga and even barry garbage bannan all need to go . let the new manager build a fresh squad and build something like barnsley have done . no more has beens 

Share your view