Jump to content

How can football win back the generation lost by lockdown?


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Sir Says said:

ifollow doesn't hold the attention of either of my kids (aged 10 and 12).

They both loved going to games pre covid and are both itching to go back to Hillsborough. 

Key thing is making sure it's affordable for families to get into games. 

Also exciting, winning football will help. 

Agreed... it's the whole day out pre and post match rituals that the kids love...and the feeling of them being with all the grown ups and part of it all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, full fathom five said:

Agreed, i was talking to a mate who supports L##ds, he was telling me how they dropped on their owner in a bar in L##ds and he came over spent a fair bit of time talking about his plans for the club and when he'd finished he sent a round of drinks over to the table. Apparently he did this with a few groups of fans and was really open and honest with them.

Would love to hear something like this about our chairman but doubt i will as he seems so out of touch with our fans.

Christ....imagine you are out for a beer with your mates and DC stumbles over and starts squealing in his high pitch tone and only stopping talking to breathe every 3 minutes. I’d be first out the door to the pub next door!

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

For many young uns it’s all about the product and the product needs to interest them, grab their attention and fit into their daily / weekly routines.

Routine has gone out of the window for the vast majority and it’s no surprise that many will lose interest in what they once prioritised.

SWFC - the product - is dire and its eating itself from within. It’s imploding and simply not an attractive option for many. Why surround yourself with that rubbish? Hard to argue against unless it is engrained within you and then you simply suffer through your ‘enjoyment’.

Football eventually, like Pop, will eat itself. 

 

I think you hit the nail on the head - football has become a ‘product.’ I think it’s losing its identity as an actual sport.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

The mad part is there will be (many?) people out there who's last interaction with Sheffield Wednesday FC was requesting a refund and then months and months and months later still not getting it


I’m not on Twitter but I can see the clubs feed still. There seems to be a lot of this. Causing resentment. Not what you want during a relegation season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kopparberg said:


I’m not on Twitter but I can see the clubs feed still. There seems to be a lot of this. Causing resentment. Not what you want during a relegation season. 



More importantly the worst thing to be happening a few weeks/months before you try to start selling season tickets 


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, I don’t want to return to Hillsborough - football seems to give me anxiety that I can live without. 
 

Watching us last night reminded me of that anxiety actually. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

 


Hang on...

let's be reyt here


I think you're all misunderstanding the question/point


We've had a year of lockdown of people not going to matches

 

That's a lifetime to some people

People will have bought a new console, got a new Ipad, a new VR headset etc etc and do other things with their time


The ticket prices aren't relevant to this point because the point is a wider one 

Life in general has changed and people have found other ways to live their lives


This isn't necessarily about SWFC or the ticket prices or promotion or winning games


This is about a total lifestyle shift for a generation of fans who (believe it or not) might not be ever tempted back regardless of ticket prices, league position etc

 

Really not sure.

 

There are so many other things you can do on a Saturday now. You can meet with friends socially or online.

 

Plus you can watch games/highlights easier so you can keep up to date without commiting a few hours of your day.

 

I think they won't head back unless we become a top end PL team due to a miracle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

(No chansiri posts - this isn't about the chairman)


Fair enough  but in that case can we start a global warming thread and lay into him on that? All those flights he used to take.......lol

Edited by Morepork
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:


This is about football in general facing the prospect that people have spent the last year finding other things to do with their time

 

Nothing to do with Chansiri  - please - for the love of god let's have ONE thread without his name in it ffs

I think you are getting mixed up between football and Wednesday as there will be plenty of other clubs that will be fine whereas Wednesday will suffer. Which is why it's everything to do with Chansiri. What are his plans, who will be here, what will the pricing structure be etc etc etc? Do you think that we will be seeing gates of 25000 in the near future with this squad and pricing structure? No we won't.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

I think you are getting mixed up between football and Wednesday as there will be plenty of other clubs that will be fine whereas Wednesday will suffer. Which is why it's everything to do with Chansiri. What are his plans, who will be here, what will the pricing structure be etc etc etc? Do you think that we will be seeing gates of 25000 in the near future with this squad and pricing structure? No we won't.

 

 

Please - just stop - pleeeeeeeaaase

This is a thread about FOOTBALL IN GENERAL 

Not Wednesday specifically


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I’d read the footy was already losing its audience to other media pre-Covid. It faces an uphill struggle on this and other fronts. I think we all know it will ultimately kill itself through greed.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

Please - just stop - pleeeeeeeaaase

This is a thread about FOOTBALL IN GENERAL 

Not Wednesday specifically

OK what is the attraction of paying £555 a season to watch footballers on £15k to £25k struggle to do the basics and put in mediocre performances week in week out?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

Please - just stop - pleeeeeeeaaase

This is a thread about FOOTBALL IN GENERAL 

Not Wednesday specifically


Oh. I think fans of say Leeds will be back in their ground. Sunderland too. Teams that have a ‘new lease of life’ and things to fight for basically. 
 

Along with some of the smaller clubs - where every regular knows each other. 
 

It will be clubs like us that struggle I think. Those that would usually get decent crowds but just make up the numbers. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Sheffield Wednesday want people to attend then they need to show people that they are wanted.

 

That means a concentrated effort at being in the centre of the community.

 

People should be made to feel valued & part of the club instead of just being walking wallets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

OK what is the attraction of paying £555 a season to watch footballers on £15k to £25k struggle to do the basics and put in mediocre performances week in week out?

 

 

Well for starters the social aspect, the fact it's something to do, the high's, the buzz, the sport itself even sometimes

 

lol

 

The question isn't the attraction of it as there is most definitely an attraction in so many different ways for so many different people


The real question is after a year in lockdown where lives have changed, circumstances have changed, people have spent more time on other things and have found other things to do - will football be enough to tempt them back vs what they've got used to in the last 12 months?


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

Well for starters the social aspect, the fact it's something to do, the high's, the buzz, the sport itself even sometimes

 

lol

 

The question isn't the attraction of it as there is most definitely an attraction in so many different ways for so many different people


The real question is after a year in lockdown where lives have changed, circumstances have changed, people have spent more time on other things and have found other things to do - will football be enough to tempt them back vs what they've got used to in the last 12 months?

Some will, some won't, more won't than will though

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Big Rons Hairspray said:

If Sheffield Wednesday want people to attend then they need to show people that they are wanted.

 

That means a concentrated effort at being in the centre of the community.

 

People should be made to feel valued & part of the club instead of just being walking wallets.

 that'll be first if they do ,59 years ive been going and never ever felt valued or part of the club  and dont expect too in the future ......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would some kind of loyalty card work for pay on the gate customers?

Say for every 200 pounds spent on admission you were credited 25 pounds onto a personalised loyalty card.

For someone attending every home game in a season this would equate to around 100 pounds.

This credit though must then be spent in the club shop or in the bar.

It could give someone a couple of free pints before each game or if they spend it in the shop on club merchandise it may help increase the awareness of the club around the city.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...