How can football win back the generation lost by lockdown?

22 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Of course it's about the Chairman. He determines the management strategy  and sets out the plan for the direction the club. We have none of this other than a poor squad, a poor academy, an expensive match day and merchandise, an overpriced advertising and commercial experience. Chansiri has taken the fans for mugs who have woken up to the fact this club is going nowhere whilever is at the helm. Fans have gotten out of the habit and decided to spend their cash and time doing other things.

This is about football in general facing the prospect that people have spent the last year finding other things to do with their time

Nothing to do with Chansiri  - please - for the love of god let's have ONE thread without his name in it ffs

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Sir Says said:

ifollow doesn't hold the attention of either of my kids (aged 10 and 12).

They both loved going to games pre covid and are both itching to go back to Hillsborough. 

Key thing is making sure it's affordable for families to get into games. 

Also exciting, winning football will help. 

Agreed... it's the whole day out pre and post match rituals that the kids love...and the feeling of them being with all the grown ups and part of it all. 

1 minute ago, full fathom five said:

Agreed, i was talking to a mate who supports L##ds, he was telling me how they dropped on their owner in a bar in L##ds and he came over spent a fair bit of time talking about his plans for the club and when he'd finished he sent a round of drinks over to the table. Apparently he did this with a few groups of fans and was really open and honest with them.

Would love to hear something like this about our chairman but doubt i will as he seems so out of touch with our fans.

Christ....imagine you are out for a beer with your mates and DC stumbles over and starts squealing in his high pitch tone and only stopping talking to breathe every 3 minutes. I’d be first out the door to the pub next door!

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

For many young uns it’s all about the product and the product needs to interest them, grab their attention and fit into their daily / weekly routines.

Routine has gone out of the window for the vast majority and it’s no surprise that many will lose interest in what they once prioritised.

SWFC - the product - is dire and its eating itself from within. It’s imploding and simply not an attractive option for many. Why surround yourself with that rubbish? Hard to argue against unless it is engrained within you and then you simply suffer through your ‘enjoyment’.

Football eventually, like Pop, will eat itself. 

I think you hit the nail on the head - football has become a ‘product.’ I think it’s losing its identity as an actual sport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

The mad part is there will be (many?) people out there who's last interaction with Sheffield Wednesday FC was requesting a refund and then months and months and months later still not getting it

I’m not on Twitter but I can see the clubs feed still. There seems to be a lot of this. Causing resentment. Not what you want during a relegation season. 

1 minute ago, Kopparberg said:

I’m not on Twitter but I can see the clubs feed still. There seems to be a lot of this. Causing resentment. Not what you want during a relegation season. 

More importantly the worst thing to be happening a few weeks/months before you try to start selling season tickets 

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Hang on...

let's be reyt here

I think you're all misunderstanding the question/point

We've had a year of lockdown of people not going to matches

That's a lifetime to some people

People will have bought a new console, got a new Ipad, a new VR headset etc etc and do other things with their time

The ticket prices aren't relevant to this point because the point is a wider one 

Life in general has changed and people have found other ways to live their lives

This isn't necessarily about SWFC or the ticket prices or promotion or winning games

This is about a total lifestyle shift for a generation of fans who (believe it or not) might not be ever tempted back regardless of ticket prices, league position etc

Really not sure.

There are so many other things you can do on a Saturday now. You can meet with friends socially or online.

Plus you can watch games/highlights easier so you can keep up to date without commiting a few hours of your day.

I think they won't head back unless we become a top end PL team due to a miracle.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

(No chansiri posts - this isn't about the chairman)

Fair enough  but in that case can we start a global warming thread and lay into him on that? All those flights he used to take.......lol

Edited by Morepork
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is about football in general facing the prospect that people have spent the last year finding other things to do with their time

Nothing to do with Chansiri  - please - for the love of god let's have ONE thread without his name in it ffs

I think you are getting mixed up between football and Wednesday as there will be plenty of other clubs that will be fine whereas Wednesday will suffer. Which is why it's everything to do with Chansiri. What are his plans, who will be here, what will the pricing structure be etc etc etc? Do you think that we will be seeing gates of 25000 in the near future with this squad and pricing structure? No we won't.

• Like 2

Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

I think you are getting mixed up between football and Wednesday as there will be plenty of other clubs that will be fine whereas Wednesday will suffer. Which is why it's everything to do with Chansiri. What are his plans, who will be here, what will the pricing structure be etc etc etc? Do you think that we will be seeing gates of 25000 in the near future with this squad and pricing structure? No we won't.

Please - just stop - pleeeeeeeaaase

This is a thread about FOOTBALL IN GENERAL 

Not Wednesday specifically

Owlstalk Shop

Think I’d read the footy was already losing its audience to other media pre-Covid. It faces an uphill struggle on this and other fronts. I think we all know it will ultimately kill itself through greed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

OK what is the attraction of paying £555 a season to watch footballers on £15k to £25k struggle to do the basics and put in mediocre performances week in week out?

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Oh. I think fans of say Leeds will be back in their ground. Sunderland too. Teams that have a ‘new lease of life’ and things to fight for basically. 

Along with some of the smaller clubs - where every regular knows each other. 

It will be clubs like us that struggle I think. Those that would usually get decent crowds but just make up the numbers. 

• Like 1

If Sheffield Wednesday want people to attend then they need to show people that they are wanted.

That means a concentrated effort at being in the centre of the community.

People should be made to feel valued & part of the club instead of just being walking wallets.

19 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

OK what is the attraction of paying £555 a season to watch footballers on £15k to £25k struggle to do the basics and put in mediocre performances week in week out?

Well for starters the social aspect, the fact it's something to do, the high's, the buzz, the sport itself even sometimes

lol

The question isn't the attraction of it as there is most definitely an attraction in so many different ways for so many different people

The real question is after a year in lockdown where lives have changed, circumstances have changed, people have spent more time on other things and have found other things to do - will football be enough to tempt them back vs what they've got used to in the last 12 months?

Owlstalk Shop

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Well for starters the social aspect, the fact it's something to do, the high's, the buzz, the sport itself even sometimes

lol

The question isn't the attraction of it as there is most definitely an attraction in so many different ways for so many different people

The real question is after a year in lockdown where lives have changed, circumstances have changed, people have spent more time on other things and have found other things to do - will football be enough to tempt them back vs what they've got used to in the last 12 months?

Some will, some won't, more won't than will though

Just now, Big Rons Hairspray said:

If Sheffield Wednesday want people to attend then they need to show people that they are wanted.

That means a concentrated effort at being in the centre of the community.

People should be made to feel valued & part of the club instead of just being walking wallets.

that'll be first if they do ,59 years ive been going and never ever felt valued or part of the club  and dont expect too in the future ......